#151 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

Oops!

It was like that a while ago, but then I took it back off to get the circlip on! :)

Oh yeah and I'm not using new bearings, hubs were off a 90's cooper.

#152 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

Hmm, there should be a spacer, usually built into one of the bearing races, that prevents the two sides of the bearing nipping up against the outer races. I would be tenmpted to strip and clean and rebuild.

When you painted the hubs did the inner races, with the needle bearings in, come out? Have you maybe mixed them up and got one side with no spacer?

#153 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

I'm sure nothing's changed since I took them off, they span fine with no wierd noise on before I touched them so I assumed they were fine

I don't really know about 'races' and stuff, I know these aren't taper bearings and isn't there just the inner, a flosty spacer bit then an outer bearing? then the thrust washer and castle nut?

Cheers

#154 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

one question where are you finding the time to do all this lmao!!!

ive spent ages doing mine, i can strip them very quick but im so fussy on how it goes back... must b clean must be resprayed or pollished etc...

must admit theres something about fitting new parts to a car isnt there.... i love it the new fresh look of something new....

anyways sorry lol

keep up the good work, looking very nice so far

mark

#155 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

Get yourself one of those twisted wire disc/brush things for an angle grinder! Amazing at cleaning up old parts! Check Halfords for a kit where you get two brush things and two discs (got stone but w/e) for under a tenner! Bargain! :)

#156 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

I got a pair off ebay... their evil when it comes to rust! just be sure to wear goggles and overalls when using em because those bits of wire dont half hurt :'(

#157 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:19 PM

Ay! Had to pull one out fo my thumb! That went in deep :)

I always wear at least gloves goggles and tshirt now!

Edited by Pooky, 31 July 2006 - 10:30 PM.

#158 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:38 PM

it's looking great buddy!.... keep it up, you are quite fortunate to have found such a solid starting shell.... it's starting to look real nice....

Al

#159 nightflier

nightflier

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:06 PM

Quote: it's looking great buddy!.... keep it up, you are quite fortunate to have found such a solid starting shell.... it's starting to look real nice....

Al

:-

#160 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

Woop! Finally got my rear hubs sorted, not going to tell you what I did wrong because its stupid! :proud: got he shoes the right way round too

Posted Image

I bought new Timkin taper bearings for them but, I don't think I need them now. Is it worth fitting them anyway? I've found a socket that appears to be a decent size to drift it in...what do you reckon?

Posted Image

Posted Image

that's all for now, might have the other brace bar finished soon too! :w00t:

'scuse C**p phone cam pics!

Edited by Pooky, 07 September 2006 - 06:10 PM.

#161 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

Ahh, go on - let us in on your secret! Its the stupid things that are easily overlooked and could easily leave others in a similar situation.

The socket looks OK for drifting, it needs to be slightly smaller than the bearing race so 1) it doesn't get stuck in the hub itself and 2) you can tell when the race is fully home better.

With rear wheel bearings, if they are OK when tightened up I would leave them, they don't have anywehere near the stresses and strains of the fronts.

#162 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:05 PM

Oh ok, I'd put the hand brake bracket between the radius arm and the back plate, when it's supposed to go on side of the radius arm, it made the backplate rub against the hub on the bottom :proud:

Yeah I think, I'm gonna leave the bearings for now, the hub spins fine.

Anyone want to buy some bearings? :w00t:

#163 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:08 PM

The hub will spin fine if the bearings knackered too! Put it all back together, then with the wheel on (but jacked up off the ground) check for play by trying to wobble the wheel when holding it at each side and again when holding it top and bottom. Also spin the wheel and listen for any 'rumbling' .

#164 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

Both hubs and brake assemblies done!, Just need shocks, drums and wheels and pretty much finished at the back except for the fuel tank...

stll, birthday coming up in just over a month :proud:

#165 DenZal

DenZal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

The socket looks OK for drifting, it needs to be slightly smaller than the bearing race so 1) it doesn't get stuck in the hub itself

;D :'( :w00t:

yeh annoying when that happens lol, tip i was given was to chamfer down the edges of the old bearing and use that as a drift, worked quite well. good progress mr joe! good luck getting all the fixings for the tank! minispares been sold out of some of the bolts for ages, ended up getting some from halfords, an dont forget to put the fuel sender in first!! :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users