• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

i find these threads funny :o

And depressing!!!

:D :dontgetit:

why depressing shifty??

give some of these guys your poo, and it'll come back with the speed of a dragster!
:cry:

#48 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

naa just funny, airs alot thinner across the country it appears, especialy so on these long stretches of road, which isnt public highway where people have apparently reached them....yeah, iv tested mine on the motorway before, so sue me and its certainly over 100mph, only difference is, its not a 40bhp 998.

#49 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

i find these threads funny :o

And depressing!!!

:D :dontgetit:

why depressing shifty??

give some of these guys your poo, and it'll come back with the speed of a dragster!
:cry:

Feck me I'd have a flying Poo!!

Its gotta be good for 130mph at the hands of some of these test drivers!!

#50 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

mines got a stage 1 does 85-90mph depending on the day aha

#51 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

My stock 93' 1275cc sprite carb (all i have is a play mini back box) gets just over 70mph and its so damn noisy and sounds like its going to explode!
Prob needs a tune up to mind doubt its been touched since new! sure wish I could cruise at 80!

#52 jamiestevenbell

jamiestevenbell

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:02 AM

i own a mini 850 the head is slightly ported and it has a stage 1 kit on it i have had it on the rollers and it has 38bhp at the wheels and i have a brand new top of the range tom tom sat nave and according to that my 850cc mini will do 82mph when the speedo is readin about 87mph

#53 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

mine had 58bhp at the wheels to 99 on the satnav and carry on a little bit, ofc I would never do this on the road, it was in my back garden (I live in a mansion
the majority of speedos in cars read high by around 10%, don't know why just seems to be the case.

i guess it for safety, they no most will speed or at the very least sit at the speed limit, by over reading you think your going faster than you are,
so its a backhanded all be it smart way to slow you down.

well I thought the reason would be to allow for the speedo to go out a little, as it's bound to go off a bit, for a car makers point of view it's better for the speedo to read too high than too low, also makes their cars seems faster to the punters ;)

#54 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

Never really tested the top speed to be honest....i get bored by the time its got to 60.

Think i got 80 out of it down a hill once, its too noisey and bouncy at high speeds.

Low and Slow

#55 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

I wont say what I got out of my Dads old megane RS 225bhp 6 speed lol But when I got into my mini after it does make you want a turbo badly and a 5 speed box atleast.

#56 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

I wont say what I got out of my Dads old megane RS 225bhp 6 speed lol But when I got into my mini after it does make you want a turbo badly and a 5 speed box atleast.

It’s a lot easier to reach the top speed in a modern car, there so refined and stable compared to a mini, half the time you don’t even realise it.

#57 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

i own a mini 850 the head is slightly ported and it has a stage 1 kit on it i have had it on the rollers and it has 38bhp at the wheels and i have a brand new top of the range tom tom sat nave and according to that my 850cc mini will do 82mph when the speedo is readin about 87mph

That sounds about right. 38 at the wheels on an 850 is probably about 45 at the flywheel which is mid way between an 850 and a 998 Cooper. You have gained 10 mph for 11 bhp and the further 10 bhp which would take you up to 998 Cooper power would give another 6 or 7 mph.
You cannot change the basic laws of aerodynamics.

#58 Spenner

Spenner

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Local Club: Blakehill mini's

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

When i first got my mini it had a 998 in it with a stage 1 and i struggled to get it past 80mph and my speedo was reading 65mmph lol i used my satnav to see what speed i was near too because satnav's are not that accurate either!!!

Now i have a 1275 in it with a mg head 56bhp at the wheels found this out last year at a rolling rd shoot out at pitstop. They took my car up to around 90 ish and Ralph the tester there said dont take any notice of your speedo as it is reading well under it was reading 70mph and the speed was around or just over 90 and that went for all the lower speeds to. So it just shows you cant trust your speedo readings. A friend of mine has had his mini off the clock many of times and i know that we were not going much faster if any over 80mph.
Thats my 2 pennys worth ;)

Spenner

#59 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

I wonder if some are confusing top speed with terminal velocity!!!!!!

#60 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,421 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

You can get to 100+ mph fairly easily, but you need your rose coloured racing goggles on - it won't happen if you haven't got a bit of a tail wind or an incline to make up the last 10mph or so. A cam, valve gear and ignition to extend the rev range can bring about some stupid speeds in even a 998 with a bit of wind assist.

Speed's boring, as well as dangerous, Mini's are most fun on roads where keeping above 40 is a challenge because of the bends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users