#31 Remylebleu

Remylebleu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: On my ones :)

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

oh i thought you ment somerford dorset.....depends on how much you like driving depends on whether you consider it far lol

also the arch is lower to the wheel because when it started catching its cracked the weld down the join on the wing and the a plate....also cracked the wing under the scuttle.

#32 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

It is lower at the driver side - they always are - always carry a driver, not always carry a passenger. New cones + Gmax dampers + bump stops (may as well fit two new ones) and it will be back to 'like new'.

#33 Remylebleu

Remylebleu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

i wouldnt know how to do that myself.....and ive been to a few local garages and there all abit reluctant or extremely overpriced

#34 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

If you are going to run a Mini - you really need to get the overalls on and get stuck in! The bump stop and dampers are simple - the cones do need a cone compressor....... Maybe you have mates who can help ?

#35 Remylebleu

Remylebleu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

im not by any means an idiot or lazy or worried about getting my hands dirty but i dont think changing parts that im unsure of what they do is really the best way to go about it.....yup me got friends, ones a painter, 3 electricians, air con installer, 3 fruit machine engineers, a washing repairman, cooker repairman, one drives forklifts for carlsberg. and a so called mechanic who doesnt answer his phone ever. i got overalls too :)

#36 Remylebleu

Remylebleu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

the aim of starting the thread was to hopefully get help and maybe someone could tell me what the problem is....i didnt realise there was so many diffrent parts for just the height of the front end. i dont have money to throw around on parts that i dont need, so the plan is to get the part(s) i require and get it fixed

#37 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

The only parts that affect the height are the rubber cones (and possibly the plastic cup if damaged) - the fruit machine lads will know what to do! :)

#38 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

I dont think you are gonna get a definitive clear cut answer to be honest without someone actually seeing the car. As you indicate there are many variables at play.

I would suggest though;

- The shocks/dampers have nothing to do with the ride height, although it does seem that these have failed to some extent as they are leaking.

- You also indicated that you straightened a bar. I would say it was likely the tie bar, I dont know hoe you did that, with it still on the car, maybe you had spinach for breakfast. how are the rubber bushes at the end of this bar, near the number plate?

- as above, the rubber cones will probably need replacing as with age they deteriorate and squash. Thats why your mini is lower on the drivers side as it has taken more 'abuse' by carrying the driver.

- the only definitive response i think we can give is that you should fit a bump stop, where its is missing (i forget which side), this however won't solve your issues.

#39 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

mite sound silly but are the tryes /wheels ok

#40 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

The photo of the front of your car shows it sitting quite well, in fact if anything it looks a little lower on the passenger side looking at the front (and no I'm not referencing the bumper and I am trying to take camber of the road into account). But the sides definitely show the trim height to be about 1 1/2" lower on the driver's side. The driver's wing looks like it's all over the shop, but the trim height is low that side too. Straightening a tie bar takes a lot of effort and they don't usually come back looking untouched as yours do, how far was it bent and where? New springs would lift the car but I must say I think there's some crash damage at work here too.

#41 Remylebleu

Remylebleu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

two words.....lump....hammer.

it was more of an arc at about 40degrees than full on bent. if you understand what i mean.

it appears that the ends of the tie rod are fine, by this i mean they both look the same, assuming the passenger side is ok

your right, im starting to think that its not something that could be answered on here from photos or info that i can give you all....not matter how experienced or smart you are, sometimes you just need to look.

if it was crashed damaged, it was never registered....but that doesnt mean it hasnt been.

ill have to take it to a garage that has a mechanic who knows about minis (still looking)

if i havent lost patience with the car between now and when i get paid ill report back and let you all know what it is or what they think it might be just incase anyones interested.............thats if i dont lose patience :techsupport:

#42 Remylebleu

Remylebleu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

Ive took my car to a mini garage and he put it on ramps and spent about 20mins "doing stuff" under it.

He said the knuckles look worn and the cones are no good (he used diffrent term) and both sides are to low but the driver side is worse due to there not been a bump stop there.

New cones and knuckles or just fit hi-lo's......does this sound right?

£45 to fit a pair of hi-lo's? Is that about right?

Thanks

#43 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Ive took my car to a mini garage and he put it on ramps and spent about 20mins "doing stuff" under it.

He said the knuckles look worn and the cones are no good (he used diffrent term) and both sides are to low but the driver side is worse due to there not been a bump stop there.

New cones and knuckles or just fit hi-lo's......does this sound right?

£45 to fit a pair of hi-lo's? Is that about right?

Thanks

£45 labour charge to fit Hi-lo's to both sides sounds good value.

#44 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

"New cones and knuckles or just fit hi-lo's"

It isn't a question of which but rather a fact that you should do both (although the hilos are not needed, as you could just use your existing trumpets). I know mate it all sounds mad - cones, knuckles and trumpets.

If your cones and knuckles are shot they will need to be replaced, instead of using a set of hilos to over compensate for sunk cones and knuckle joints.

Obviously changing every thing is more expensive, the really competitive labour quote wont change that dramatically

Edited by minisilverbullet, 28 February 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#45 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

hilo's shouldn't be fitted to get around not replacing the real worn out parts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users