#61 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA MOC

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

hi mate looks good so far how did you get the perfect draw out of the dash :dontgetit:

Cheers man :w00t:

if you mean the template.. well I got the height of the left hand side, then the height of the middle, If that makes sense? And then actually freehand drew a steady curve... then tested the fit in my mini, and voila, perfect ^_^

Edited by RossKnight, 06 June 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#62 darky32

darky32

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet !!

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Cheers Ross it's slowly getting there ^_^ Just some finishing touches needed then I have to cover the centre console to match

#63 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

Cheers Ross it's slowly getting there :dontgetit: Just some finishing touches needed then I have to cover the centre console to match

Good to hear ^_^ Oooh I was thinking about one of them, but decided against it. Doesn't it make your clutch foot reallllly close to the edge of the console?

#64 darky32

darky32

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

It does a little but not that bad,it just takes up the space where you normally rest your left foot. Mine is on its second stage to being modified so will allow more room hopefully, but i have speakers mounted in it so I am a little limited

^_^

#65 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

It does a little but not that bad,it just takes up the space where you normally rest your left foot. Mine is on its second stage to being modified so will allow more room hopefully, but i have speakers mounted in it so I am a little limited

:dontgetit:

Ahh I see, not too bad then... think I'll leave it for now though, could be a future project ^_^

#66 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

Tiny update, but just some random luck ^_^ My dad came home from work with 2 plant pots, and he started cutting the lip off the top of them, I was looking confused until he walked over to my dash and squeezed them into my clock holes :dontgetit: perfect fit, finishes it off a bit more.

Posted Image

Also, Monty, I think I'll have to pass up the offer now, as I just realised I don't really want to be taking my clocks off the MDF after I've just got it all mounted and lined up, thanks though.

#67 MiniMonty

MiniMonty

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Bodge Speed Racing

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

Also, Monty, I think I'll have to pass up the offer now, as I just realised I don't really want to be taking my clocks off the MDF after I've just got it all mounted and lined up, thanks though.

Fair enough mate :thumbsup:
Nice job on the dash.

#68 minihaven

minihaven

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

That looks like a nice litlle job indeed i also like the cutting tool blimey bet that was a handful when you were using it :thumbsup: .
I have been looking at the digital guages recently they look like a great alternative to the origional clocks and provide a bit more info in the form of bright illuminated displays lcd /led .
Ive also done a traditional dash re build it was origionally a walnut but was too much gone to be any good so i stripped the vaneer off with a heat gun and sanded it down then used a product from 3M which was a laminate form of carbon fibre with use of the heat gun it came out nicely .
Posted Image

#69 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

Fair enough mate :ermm:
Nice job on the dash.

Thanks for all of your help too :thumbsup:

That looks like a nice litlle job indeed i also like the cutting tool blimey bet that was a handful when you were using it :thumbsup: .
I have been looking at the digital guages recently they look like a great alternative to the origional clocks and provide a bit more info in the form of bright illuminated displays lcd /led .
Ive also done a traditional dash re build it was origionally a walnut but was too much gone to be any good so i stripped the vaneer off with a heat gun and sanded it down then used a product from 3M which was a laminate form of carbon fibre with use of the heat gun it came out nicely .

That dash looks superb :thumbsup: Yeh the cutting tool would of helped a lot, but I only ordered it when there were 2 holes left >.< Very easy to use though.

I like digi gauges but they're too expensive for me :thumbsup:

#70 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

The long belated installation... Sorry it took too long haha

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let me know what you think :)

Next up is rear door cars in suede, and rear seat recovered by my girlfriend :P Then interior will be complete.

#71 darky32

darky32

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Looks great Ross you must be happy with it

Mark :)

#72 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

Looks great Ross you must be happy with it

Mark :thumbsup:

I am indeed :)

It's also had it's a-panel replaced, and MOT, so almost ready for me to drive :P

#73 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:22 AM

Looks very nice indeed :) Does it cost much to produce dash like this? in the process of buying me first mini so planning on bits on bobs and budgeting :lol:

Good job :D

Also this may be a stupid question but what did you do with the blowers on each end of the dash? Do you just disconnect them and remove them?

Edited by Brookesy, 21 July 2011 - 07:24 AM.

#74 darky32

darky32

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

Looks very nice indeed :lol: Does it cost much to produce dash like this? in the process of buying me first mini so planning on bits on bobs and budgeting :D

Good job ;)

Also this may be a stupid question but what did you do with the blowers on each end of the dash? Do you just disconnect them and remove them?

You can build a dash like this and make it as cheap or as expensive as you want, the wood for mine cost about £10 and the lights etc cost about the same, then its down to personal choice what you want to cover the dash in. have a look at the Dashboard Directory there are loads of ideas there for different types of dashes :)

The end vents if not used in a dash are usually blanked off.

#75 new_zealand _minis

new_zealand _minis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Local Club: wellington new zealand

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

dont know how you can see the dials .. looks like they are pointing down to the floor .. good old 3pod center dash is where i might stay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users