#76 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA MOC

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

Looks very nice indeed :) Does it cost much to produce dash like this? in the process of buying me first mini so planning on bits on bobs and budgeting :)

Good job :)

Also this may be a stupid question but what did you do with the blowers on each end of the dash? Do you just disconnect them and remove them?

Cost me all in all about, £25. that was mainly the MDF and fabric. It's satisfying to make :P

I just found 2 random disks of plastic which fitted perfectly in the old vent hole, so I slotted that in and taped it in haha, bodge, but it works :)

dont know how you can see the dials .. looks like they are pointing down to the floor .. good old 3pod center dash is where i might stay

It does look like that yeh, but my bucket seats are really low and far back, I can see through the steering wheel.

#77 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

In terms of the speedo and engine temp/fuel do you keep the whole plastic backing that monty is dismantliling in his video behind the dash you made? Or disconnect the individual units and then attach them to your dash after? Getting supplies and templates done up for mine this weekend :)

#78 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

I kept it all on the pod it came with, modified slightly.

There's endless things you can do though, you could also use a whole different speedo set up from another car etc

#79 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

Ah ok that makes things a bit simpler. Not to great with electrics and all that milarky yet so will probably keep it as one piece and attach it to the mdf. Get some new covers e.t.c

Cheers Ross!

#80 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

Just another question if thats alright :P Got a rough template drawn out but just a few teething problems.

In terms of the main instrument panel as i mentioned above, how did you hold yours in place? My metal bracket that holds my 'pod' in place sticks out and would interfere with the placing of the dash. If i removed the metal bracket then the pod would have nothing to hold onto and would just roll about behind the dash. Was yours screwed into dash at all?

Although i suppose i could remove the individual gauges and make the dash holes slighty smaller so they wedge in so to speak...

Sorry if that doesnt make much sense but hope you can help :)

Cheers Mike

#81 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

I took the white cluster from the metal bracket, cut off the 2 plastic tubes, you'll see what I mean when you try and mount it flush, and then I used the original holes and put some screws into the dash :)

#82 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Ahhh the two indicator 'tubes' i take it your on about? Cheers for the advice :) If me dash ends up half as good as yours looks ill be happy :P cant wait till the next day off and to get cracking!

#83 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

Yes indeedy, I just hacksawed them down so they're flush, (maybe even a little shallower) with the face of the clocks, good luck :D I'm sure it'll turn out great

#84 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

How is the actual dash fixed into the appature ? looks really nice, well done !!

#85 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

How is the actual dash fixed into the appature ? looks really nice, well done !!

Erm currently, I've wedged it in and self tappered steel strap across the face side at each end, mainly just so it was secure for the MOT... I'm making a bracket or something to hold it in

And thanks :D

#86 Andrew O

Andrew O

Previously known as Andrewo330.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

I love it

#87 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hey ross would just like to say thanks for the advice :) Finally got mine in yesterday, its held in b cable ties at the moment until the dials are in and i have sorted the wiring properly but basically finished :)

Posted Image

Can see the build here if anyone is interested :)
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=201536&hl=&fromsearch=1

#88 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

Nice, looks good :D I was going to do padded, but didn't think padded suede would look good haah

#89 Brookesy

Brookesy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:57 AM

Not going to lie padded was a right pain in the arse :P Not a perfect job but quite happy for a first bash :) Going to do the door cards the same just waiting for more material to arrive. Tempted to do another due to a few gaps appearing along edges and also i found my gauges behind wheel are tilted down slightly so a bit hard to see the top edges if you get my drift :)

#90 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

Yeh I know what you mean about the speedo, I have cobra classics so I'm sorta laid back quite a bit, but being 6ft 1 doesn't help, I can't see sorta 40-60ish on the speedo, but it hasn't really affected me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users