#1 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well, precisely 4 weeks after the unfortunate demise of my old estate, I've picked up a new one.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Filler anyone?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Floorpan on top of a floorpan... nice ;D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The back end is pretty good... shiny backbox too :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

In it's favour it has
- MG metro engine in dire need of a tune up
- Cooper 's' brakes
- Hi-los
- Spax adjustable dampers
- Adjustable rear camber brackets
- Polybushed tower mounts and bottom arms

A quick pre-MOT reveals
- o/s front damper pastic cover has fallen off
- n/s ball joints want a good shim up
- teardrop mounts fubar
- front panel excessively crusty within 30cm of important bits
- drivers side wiper in the LHD hole??
- hazards don't work
- twisted brake hose
- indicators are white
- both rear wheel arches need repairs
- o/s/r wheel bearing excessively rubbish
- exhaust blows at the y-piece
- rear valance is a bit nasty
- excessive tin worm within 30cm of master cylinders
- numberplates look horrible
- floors are rather horrid
- sills are oversills and they have holes in them
- bald tyres (it's getting 10" wellers anyway)

All comments welcome...

Edited by benb12, 10 June 2011 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Looking good mate, plenty to get stuck into!!! Like you say, it does have plenty of plus points- just needs the grot looking at. I assume this isn't a Josh special going by the pistonheads photo?
You'll be bombing around in it in no time !
What happened to the remains of the old one? ;D

#3 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

Looking good mate, plenty to get stuck into!!! Like you say, it does have plenty of plus points- just needs the grot looking at. I assume this isn't a Josh special going by the pistonheads photo?
You'll be bombing around in it in no time !
What happened to the remains of the old one? :lol:

Hi Boycie, this one wasn't a Josh special but it soon will be as he's been employed to do the welding! ;D I got it off Pistonheads for £850, was in Maidstone too! My leg is still broked from the accident so I'm not really able to do much at the moment, although if I get the chance I will pop down there and see what I can do! It will be back up to MOT standards in no time but as is the way with Minis it will be an ongoing project. Hopefully only 12 more days of my leg being in cast :D

The orange one I still have, and will be selling off the remains when I can physically get them off the car :crazy:

#4 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

Thats good mate, I can't wait to see it on the road. Bad news re your leg, I didn't know you will still convalescing! I 'think' I recognise the new arrival, been off the road long? Looks like someone has spent some money on it.. Interior is lush.

#5 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thats good mate, I can't wait to see it on the road. Bad news re your leg, I didn't know you will still convalescing! I 'think' I recognise the new arrival, been off the road long? Looks like someone has spent some money on it.. Interior is lush.

It was a guy in Shepway, he didn't have it long (the log book was dated 2 weeks ago!), he bought it from someone in Chichester. It's possible you've seen it, it's still taxed and tested. Definitely had a bit of money spent on it, but the interior is only grey MG metro seats and some cooper dials ;D

#6 Swainy

Swainy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Local Club: Sexy People Only Mini Club

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

Looking forward to following this!

What are you plans for it?

I saw your old one! Ouch!

How's the leg holding up?

Adam

#7 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

It was a guy in Shepway, he didn't have it long (the log book was dated 2 weeks ago!), he bought it from someone in Chichester. It's possible you've seen it, it's still taxed and tested. Definitely had a bit of money spent on it, but the interior is only grey MG metro seats and some cooper dials :)

Ha ha I'm easily pleased! My interior is bog standard -which in 1975, was rather sparse :)
Did the previous owner also have a van in primer? Sure I've seen it about near Loose. Hope the leg gets better, if you start breaking the orange one, I'll have the rear doors if you're not keeping them! ( :) )

#8 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

Nice project............ :)

#9 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

Adam

Plans are to get it roadworthy, then it will become an ongoing project mostly comprising of filler removal and ultimately a decent paint job! :) My leg's okay thanks, I go back to the hospital on the 22nd for another x-ray. If it hasn't healed by then I'm taking an angle grinder to this cast :)

#10 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

It was a guy in Shepway, he didn't have it long (the log book was dated 2 weeks ago!), he bought it from someone in Chichester. It's possible you've seen it, it's still taxed and tested. Definitely had a bit of money spent on it, but the interior is only grey MG metro seats and some cooper dials :)

Ha ha I'm easily pleased! My interior is bog standard -which in 1975, was rather sparse :)
Did the previous owner also have a van in primer? Sure I've seen it about near Loose. Hope the leg gets better, if you start breaking the orange one, I'll have the rear doors if you're not keeping them! ( :) )

Nah he didn't have a van or anything. The back doors from the orange one aren't great - the fire service cut the hinges and dropped them on the floor :) But I think they could be saved if you're interested.

#11 Swainy

Swainy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

Adam

Plans are to get it roadworthy, then it will become an ongoing project mostly comprising of filler removal and ultimately a decent paint job! :) My leg's okay thanks, I go back to the hospital on the 22nd for another x-ray. If it hasn't healed by then I'm taking an angle grinder to this cast :)

What style are you going for?

Glad to hear the leg's doing okay! How long ago was it that you did it?

When are you breaking the old one? I bet you were absolutely gutted!

Do it! Haha people are always taking casts off in films and they seem fine after :)

#12 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Adam

Do it! Haha people are always taking casts off in films and they seem fine after :)

Not sure what style, I think a nice 70's colour all over, maybe put it back to it's original orange. She'll definitely be staying on 10" wheels :)

I will pull the old one apart once my cast's off and I feel up to it. There's not much to salvage really, mainly the engine and the rear subframe.

#13 Swainy

Swainy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

Adam

Not sure what style, I think a nice 70's colour all over, maybe put it back to it's original orange. She'll definitely be staying on 10" wheels :)

I will pull the old one apart once my cast's off and I feel up to it. There's not much to salvage really, mainly the engine and the rear subframe.

I suppose you will find out when the cast is off what can be saved.

Good luck with her:)

I shall be following this one

Edited by Swainy, 10 June 2011 - 08:34 PM.

#14 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

Will be cool when you get on the road again and rolling on decent brakes under 10's :thumbsup: Will be plenty of good times at shows to come mate :)

#15 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

Will be cool when you get on the road again and rolling on decent brakes under 10's :) Will be plenty of good times at shows to come mate :gimme:

Yeah, definitely glad I'm on 10's again!

Damn oversills :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this point it became apparent that when the floor was cut out, all that would be holding the car up was a fillery doorstep and the roof.

Posted Image

Don't you love previous owners... this "replacement" inner sill was just jammed up in the lip and not held in by anything.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by benb12, 15 June 2011 - 09:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users