36 replies to this topic

#16 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

Ooof, plenty there to start melting metal to :)
Going with nice narrow sills etc? What are the two bolts on the floor crossmember for, the Metro seats? Look like they've been welded in.

#17 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

Ooof, plenty there to start melting metal to :gimme:
Going with nice narrow sills etc? What are the two bolts on the floor crossmember for, the Metro seats? Look like they've been welded in.

Yes, definitely nice new narrow sills :thumbsup: Yep, they're for the metro seats! They've welded a bracket to the rear floor for the seat to bolt to, which is fine but the bracket is surrounded by holes!

I'm having trouble uploading the pictures. I went up there on Monday to make myself useful, we got the drivers floor welded in on Monday night and yesterday he ground down the welds and has started on inner sill repairs. I enjoyed practising my welding technique and how to join up big gaps and fill in holes, but I'm not very good at actually setting up the welder. I let Josh do that bit :)

#18 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Setting up the welder is just a case of 'sucking it and see' lol. As soon as you can hear bacon sizzling, you know you're about right! I'd be turning the power up a tad, looking at the floorpan welds, but I know Josh knows his stuff.
Can't wait to see the finished result, going for a full respray or just localised bits? Paint looked ok.

#19 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

Setting up the welder is just a case of 'sucking it and see' lol. As soon as you can hear bacon sizzling, you know you're about right! I'd be turning the power up a tad, looking at the floorpan welds, but I know Josh knows his stuff.
Can't wait to see the finished result, going for a full respray or just localised bits? Paint looked ok.

Not going for a respray any time soon, the paint is good enough for now. It won't be getting that sort of treatment this year.

#20 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

Don't blame you, I'd just get it solid and back on the road, will look perfectly presentable :cry: bet you can't wait!
Mine's starting to show grot on the wings, A-panels and door bottoms now- but I'm not in any hurry to tear it apart yet, it's far too useful as a working car!

#21 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

Don't blame you, I'd just get it solid and back on the road, will look perfectly presentable :unsure: bet you can't wait!
Mine's starting to show grot on the wings, A-panels and door bottoms now- but I'm not in any hurry to tear it apart yet, it's far too useful as a working car!

Yeah, I'm getting bored of buses! I've only really seen your Min once at the Darling Buds last year - it looked really nice then :tumble: Once this is solid and on the road I'll keep working on the bodywork, replacing the A-panels and removing the filler as I go. I don't mind if it a bit multi-coloured for a while, I don't like the colour scheme anyway! It will look good eventually. I'm not decided on what colour it will be. I can see it was originally orange, so I could put it back to that, but there's so many orange Clubmans about! Toying with Russet Brown, with a black roof... :cry:

#22 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Good plan- rolling resto :cry: Russet Brown would be excellent! Have a colour chart from the late 70s for inspiration :unsure:

Posted Image

#23 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Haha cheers! Applejack would be an amazing colour too :cry: Ah well, got plenty of time to decide!

#24 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Well Josh has done a few more bits today.

Here's a bracket on the rear floor which the back of the seat is bolted to... didn't look very safe being surrounded by rust

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Much better :)
Oh and he came over today and dropped off a "set" of 10x5 wellers (I say a set... they're two pairs of wellers, one genuine and one not.... but they'll do for time being!) I will give them a lick of paint soon and stick some brand new rubber on them :P

Oh and he made a hole in my rear bin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all for now...

#25 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hi,

a nice project you have on the go there, plenty to keep you going. One thing I would say though, not a critisism just a heads up, on the cross member closing panel you have put on, the welds do not appear to be seamed together. Not an expert and learning myself, but I would go over the seam and join everything up so you have a complete seam.

Keep up the good work though and welding gets better / easier the more you do aswell.

Graham

#26 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

looks like your not hangin bout with this! will be on the road in no time!

#27 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

Well I kind of forgot about this thread :) All the welding is done and it passed it's MOT yesterday :- It looks so much better now it's on wellers and it's got proper numberplates and stuff. I'll try and get some pics soon.

#28 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

That was quick!!

Pictures...! :)

#29 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

A few pics of how it stands at the moment...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quick snap of the underside. Nice new metal and proper sills!

Posted Image

It's going okay, just a couple of issues to sort out :D I will try and update this as I go along.

#30 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

That looks awesome man, congrats on getting her home at last. :D Can't wait to see it in the 'flesh'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users