508 replies to this topic

#46 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thanks mate - interior wise - dash was home made from mdf and covered in carbon vinyl - simple!
Door cards, dont have a clue, they were on the car! Think they're rover original, but optomise automotive do some really nice door cards!

Again, with the speaker board, that was another optomise product, but I've made three others for mates Minis - quite simple, pop down to your local Jewson's - pick up a sheet of 12mm MDF (£10 for a sheet big enough to easily make 20 boards from!) Get a peice of carboard, and cut it to fit under the seat - once you have this, lay it over the peice of mdf, draw round it and cut with a jigsaw! Spray glue and http://www.wilcodire...products_id=755 this stuff, wrap it - bobs your uncle!

Centre console was from custom consoles.
http://www.custom-co...k/consoles.html
http://www.optimise-...ucts%26Services

They should help!
If you want to make your own dashboard, or centre console - plans can be found on here by using the search function - print out and get cutting - dash is that same old 12mm sheet of mdf!

No probs! It really looks great! Well done on the dash, wouldn't of guessed its home made! Oh thats abit annoying about the door cards, are they coated in carpet or is it like a vinyl thing? Yea had a look but im on a pretty tight budget, only 16 and need some left for insurance when its finished! Cheers for the links for speaker board, found a old guide in a mini mag and should be able to do it, doing an A-level in woodwork and carpentry etc so hopefully I can use the school workshop in my free lessons! ;) Will that 'anthracite' carpet stuff just look like normal floor carpet so will blend it? thats the plan. is a centre console easy-ish to make also? you reckon that one roll of that antracite (think it said it comes in 1mx2m) will be enough to cover the speaker board and also two sides of the centre console?

Little question also about wrapping the speaker board? how would you tidy it up? im guessing you would just fold it over the sides and the spray the excess onto the back? will it still fit okay with it folded over?

Thanks for your help!

Muchly appriciated,

Ryan

As you've read, I'm also on a tight budget - it's all easy to make! The door cards are a vinyl type.
With access to decent tools, you'll get it to fit perfect - handy to have your mini nearby to test fit though!

The one 2x1 peice will do the speaker board. Doubt you'd get much else out of it... It's an almost identical match to what was in my 97mpi, if you can find a black one or something, it might do a better job. Spray glue the whole front side and edges, then pull tight over the back of the board and staple it on! You'll need to cut all the edges though to get it to sit well on the curved edges!

Not made a centre console myself, but with the templates, it can be pretty easy apparantly! If you get stuck - i'll post more in your latest thread later on, rather than in here.

The engine Had 92,000 on so being an honda probably good for another 150,000 i reckon if looked after probably another 250,000 lol

Same as mine then, excellent! The jap engines are brilliant, got many miles to go yet!

Wired up a stereo in the garage, a kettle, and a nice big heater! Sorted!

Sorted indeed! nice work, oh and on the engine aswell :D

I'll send you a PM now about the alternator bracket

Makes such a difference having some music in the garage! Helps esteem greatly when things dont quite go your way! Better than being alone in there!

Thanks!

#47 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

Makes such a difference having some music in the garage! Helps esteem greatly when things dont quite go your way! Better than being alone in there!

Yeah theres no one here whos remotely interested in cars so I'm always working on me todd, well me an Kiss FM, job done! kettle is good move, might have to look into that, would save a walk! :thumbsup:

#48 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

Yeah theres no one here whos remotely interested in cars so I'm always working on me todd, well me an Kiss FM, job done! kettle is good move, might have to look into that, would save a walk! :thumbsup:

Same - everybody thinks I'm stupid putting so much effort into a, I quote, 'stupid, old, peice of crap' - Little bit of paramore, or some Iron Maiden - good stuff!
Can get a kettle for £9.99 from argos, couple of bottles of water in the garage, problem solved - Just remember to keep your mugs upside down!

#49 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

Just remember to keep your mugs upside down!

Ok this aint Honda related but whys that then? Or maybe it is :shifty:

#50 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

Just remember to keep your mugs upside down!

Ok this aint Honda related but whys that then? Or maybe it is :shifty:

Went to make a drink earlier and found each of my mugs full of metal! Had been angle grinding and the metal shavings decided to call the mug home!

#51 Miniryan09

Miniryan09

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

As you've read, I'm also on a tight budget - it's all easy to make! The door cards are a vinyl type.
With access to decent tools, you'll get it to fit perfect - handy to have your mini nearby to test fit though!

The one 2x1 peice will do the speaker board. Doubt you'd get much else out of it... It's an almost identical match to what was in my 97mpi, if you can find a black one or something, it might do a better job. Spray glue the whole front side and edges, then pull tight over the back of the board and staple it on! You'll need to cut all the edges though to get it to sit well on the curved edges!

Not made a centre console myself, but with the templates, it can be pretty easy apparantly! If you get stuck - i'll post more in your latest thread later on, rather than in here.

Hey,

Just been doing some browsing on shops etc and a bit of calculations etc and for two rolls of that stuff will be around £25 and then allow £15 for the MDF that means will cost me about £40 for a parcel shelf and a speaker board under the seats, thats actually alot cheaper than I thought.

Was about to pop down to homebase and get the MDF etc and order the carpet online and then start making them next week but then I came accross that optimise automotive will sell them both in 'stealth' design' for £35+postage so for the sake of like £5 I think i'll buy the professionally made ones!

That said judging by the ridiculous price of the centre consoles then I think I might give it a shot making that, if all goes wrong then i've not lost much and its all experience :P

might make some door cards too 'cus there really expensive for what they are, there just wood and vinyl! anybody know where you can get some good quality but cheap vinyl to wrap a set of door cards with let me know! anybody made some before? what wood did you use and do you have a template? let me know :D

Thanks Again,

Ryan

#52 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

Started stripping back the rocker cover for some fresh paint with the wire brush on the drill!
Rocker cover will be red with black or silver lettering, and some nice blue HT leads.

Block and box are going black!

Should have a few more updates on monday/tuesday!
Posted Image

to:

Posted Image

Going to cut the front end off kermit tommorow - should make getting the engine out a little easier considering I don't yet have an engine crane! I use a digger or manitou with straps around the forks! Not as precise, but does the job!
Not looking forward to making the cut - means no going back!

#53 shough

shough

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

Watchin this with great interest :)

#54 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:21 AM

Bit more progress today - I'm miles ahead of where I'd expected to be! 19 days after I decided I wanted to go vtec, I have an engine, and I'm ready to go about changing the subframe! Need to get saving!

Whats this? Gave Kermit a facelift! Found what appeared to be a lot of dodgy welding whilst I was at it, looks like the cars had a lot of accident damage in the past, maybe this is why the car was resprayed, as it was originally BRG!

Posted Image

My baby looks naked! Hopefully get the engine out tomorrow, all mounts are undone, just need to drop the gearbox torque mounts and she'll lift straight out, hopefully! No wiring or anything connected to the engine, manifolds are off.

Posted Image

#55 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:22 AM

Watchin this with great interest :)

Thanks! Needing every little bit of support I can get, might be the death of me this project!

#56 J960mayfair

J960mayfair

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:20 AM

you removed spedo cable?

#57 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

Liking what you have done so far.

Will be keeping an eye out for this one

Regards

Steve

#58 shough

shough

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

What Subframe are you going for?

#59 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

you removed spedo cable?

Yup! What a bastard of a job that would of been with the front end still on!

Liking what you have done so far.

Will be keeping an eye out for this one

Regards

Steve

Thanks buddy, surprised with how much progress I've made already - If I can find money for the subframe, this could well be ready for paint by December!

What Subframe are you going for?

Allspeed - Heard nothing but good things about them, and it seems to be the simplest option!

#60 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:57 PM

Got my first bit of help today, to manhandle the engine off of the subframe! No engine crane, and too wet to do it with the tractor outside. Two of us, and a trolly jack, managed to lift it up out of the subframe and onto a sack truck!

Posted Image

Suddenly hit me how much work will be involved with this today, when I saw the difference in size between the two engines! Woops!

Posted Image

Plans for tommorow:
Remove exhaust system
Remove clutch slave
Remove brake servo (will use original mini servo on project, just need it out of the way)
Remove sound deadening from bulkhead.
Spray Honda engine & Rocker Cover (if paint comes)

Going to leave subframe in place until the new one arrives, so I can move the car around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users