508 replies to this topic

#16 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

Got a little bit of work done tonight, started stripping the front end, ready to prepare the areas required such as the wings for cutting.
Few components off in the half hour I was out there - All trim, arches, alternator, rad, coil pack, lights, indicators ect off already!

Posted Image

Bad sign! Had a few stuck bolts, and rivets to grind off to get the light pods out.

Posted Image
Drilling out the rivets on the light pods...

Posted Image

Whats off so far, more to come tommorow! Anybody want to buy any of the bits? All for sale!

#17 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

Looking good.

Although I am now starting to realise what a headache it is you can build your own frame (mines for a Vauxhall engine) for under £200. Just takes time, a lot of fiddling around and patience. Not really knowledgeable on the Honda stuff but can't you modify a metro frame? Surely that would be cheaper than buying an Allspeed. Just an idea.

It would be cheaper to modify an existing frame, or to build one from scratch - but like you say, it's a bit of a headache! I also want to have faith in the car once it's done, which I feel I wouldn't be able to with my own work on such a major component! The allspeed equipment was all budgeted for in the 4k, I'd rather wait for an extra months wages for the allspeed kit, than to struggle to build my own - plus, no doubt it'll need iva'd once done!

#18 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

Are you putting on a clubby front on this or keeping it bullnose? I know one is alot more cheaper option than the other :lol:

#19 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

Are you putting on a clubby front on this or keeping it bullnose? I know one is alot more cheaper option than the other :lol:

100mm Extended roundnose - Was tempted to go clubby, but I'm too much of a fan of the bull! As I'm going to be using a one peice flip front, it shouldn't be TOO bad pricewise over any other fronts... Might even be able to pick one up second hand!

#20 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

Don't get small wheels then, 10's look awesome on any mini no doubt about that, but not on one with an extended front, your current ones (which look like 13's) will help square things up a bit

#21 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

Don't get small wheels then, 10's look awesome on any mini no doubt about that, but not on one with an extended front, your current ones (which look like 13's) will help square things up a bit

Was going to keep the 13's - maybe something a bit wider to get the power down, and to hide some decent size brakes under! Got the Rover disks on at the moment, but should be room for some better callipers under the 13's!
something 12/13" and wide, with some nice arches should draw the eye away from the length!

Thanks for the advice there, was something I hadn't thought of before!

#22 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Spent another two hours today, fighting with stuck engine mounts, wiring looms, seized bolts and split coolant hoses - all of now, just need to get her up on the ramps to get the exhaust manifold off and then get the servo off! Going to replace all the brake lines as part of this project, and put some superfins on the rear too so might just run off the honda servo if I can make a link up for the pedal!

Whats this tank in the nearside of the wing? Cant seem to trace where the lines from it go too... Would I be right in thinking it's suspension related?

Posted Image

Few pictures of todays progress;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't worry - all those bits are now nice and neat in a crate! :)

Posted Image

The top engine mount was an absolute ******* to get off, seized solid, although it looked to be in decent condition, must of been on there a good while, bushes were worn right through too!

Coil pack, intake manifold and injectors, ECU or loom anyone? Spent a few hours just cleaning them up a bit in my bedroom!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Ht leads are there too, just in the crate...

Posted Image

#23 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Whats this tank in the nearside of the wing? Cant seem to trace where the lines from it go too... Would I be right in thinking it's suspension related?

Posted Image

Thats the devils box mate! thats what I call it anyway, hate it hate it hate it :D

Its your charcoal canister to do with the emissions, its almost a waste of time on a carb mini as its an injection thing and more of a waste of time with a honda engine in there, I wouldn't bother putting it in the box, more like the bin

As for your servo I know you meant for the brakes but if you use the honda one for the clutch (cost effective) it will work fine but will give it a heavy pedal, some people have made a spacer plate and raised it a bit on the bulkhead something like an inch or inch and half which helps alot but then you need to make sure the bottom of the master is long enough aswell otherwise your pedal travel will be short

Cheapest way is to use the honda one and put up with the heavy feel or do some leg weights :D

#24 MiniLandy

MiniLandy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Don't suppose you're gonna be getting rid of the MPi radiator, top tank and hoses are you mate?

#25 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thats the devils box mate! thats what I call it anyway, hate it hate it hate it :D

Its your charcoal canister to do with the emissions, its almost a waste of time on a carb mini as its an injection thing and more of a waste of time with a honda engine in there, I wouldn't bother putting it in the box, more like the bin

As for your servo I know you meant for the brakes but if you use the honda one for the clutch (cost effective) it will work fine but will give it a heavy pedal, some people have made a spacer plate and raised it a bit on the bulkhead something like an inch or inch and half which helps alot but then you need to make sure the bottom of the master is long enough aswell otherwise your pedal travel will be short

Cheapest way is to use the honda one and put up with the heavy feel or do some leg weights :D

Perfect, thanks! Wasn't sure if it should come out or not, never know whats on these bloody mpi's! So many unneccesary bits and peices.
Thanks! Engine I got today didn't have a servo, so I'll be on the hunt for a honda one! I prefer a heavy pedal anyway, makes you feel like you're actually driving the car! If funds will ever allow, I might try and use an aftermarket pedal box with mc's on the inside of the car, keep the engine bay clean and tidy!

Don't suppose you're gonna be getting rid of the MPi radiator, top tank and hoses are you mate?

I will be, I have the honda rad and hoses here now!
Pm me!

#26 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

Posted Image

Oh - whats this!? Yup! JDM spec B16A - Should be nice! Alternator is mounted on the rear too, so might be able to get away with a standard front once I get the power steering and air con pumps off!

Few more pictures;
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Where the hell do all these wires go? This should be fun! Got two wiring looms with it!

Posted Image

Not bad for £700!

#27 Neildanks

Neildanks

Captain Slow!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

The alternator on the back not such a good idea if you have problems i think it also means you need to cut out more of the subframe. I am in the process of doing the conversion myself and have made up my subfame using the metro k Series one.

#28 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

£700 is good mate, especially for a JDM one, I bought mine in bits and bobs, soooooo much cheaper and easier having it all there like yours

Unfortunately Jamie you need to move that alternator, as mentioned above it don't fit there in the allspeed frame, infact most frames can't house it there anyway, you'll see when you drop the engine in.......

Allspeed has it mounted on the front just under the air con stuff but you need a clubby front or extended nose like yours, I think I've still got my old allspeed alternator bracket here somewhere as I'm trying standard length nose now, so if you haven't bought one yet I'll have a look for it

#29 danny_duke01

danny_duke01

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Great project,looking good!!

#30 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members