#181 new_zealand _minis

new_zealand _minis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Local Club: wellington new zealand

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

thats real nice .. i work at a body shop .. and ive never seen paint stright off the gun he has some skill ...

#182 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Small but at the same time huge update. The Mini is home! Got it flat bedded over this morning and to see it in daylight was ace! So dam shiney!!! Popped it up on the few sets of wheels and tyres Ive collected over the years (steels, cooper originals and my 13s) so I can get access to the underside to get battery cables, fuel and brake lines etc all done along with painting the underside gloss black to make cleaning a breeze! Thanks to Phil and the lads for helping us get it onto the flatbed and all the guys who helped at the house to get it off again. HUGE help!

Posted Image
IMG_2666 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

So this marks the start of the rebuild finally! With uni and work I don't see me getting too much time to play but I still really want it back in time for Thistle Run in June. We shall see.....

Updates will come and go but not as regular. Wish me luck!

#183 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Lovely! Nice to see a few of us on here hit this stage of the rebuild!

#184 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Bit of progress! Not much but its a start!

Went out to the car about wish tonight and set to work sealing in the floor with some Hammerite. This floor is not going to be rusting again!

Posted Image

Not too cold but still 2 tshirts, 2 hoodies and track bottoms on.

Also started work on the front swivel hubs as these need rebuild but leaving them to soak in WD40 overnight.

#185 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

Great paint job. Am rollering mine due to costs but nextone will have a propper spray job. Just got to put it back together again now !!!

#186 jb93

jb93

TMF Noddy Badge holder officially.

• Members
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

That is soooooo shiny :wub: Good luck with the rebuild fella :thumbsup:

#187 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Great paint job. Am rollering mine due to costs but nextone will have a propper spray job. Just got to put it back together again now !!!

Couldn't recommend a pro paint job enough! All the effort put into doing a car myself in the past, for the extra cost of a pro it is well worth it.

That is soooooo shiny :wub: Good luck with the rebuild fella :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Hope its shiny enough for a mag feature or two..... :D

#188 JaseZA

JaseZA

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I just finished all 13 pages and really wanted to say thank you for the inspiration. Your camera work is brill and I am really looking forward to more updates as they roll in.

#189 cjg199

cjg199

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is cracking!, followed this from the start and that paint job is mint. Just wish i had mine to do but parents arent so sure. Im working on it. But its a great help and inspiration. Best of luck with the rebuild cant wait to see this done! :D

#190 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Lovely paint job! it looks amazing!

#191 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Progress again!

The floor took an age to dry due to the temperatures at the mo. Meant I couldn't get to work on it last night. However tonight it had finally hardened so with the day off work I got going :D

First thing to do was the steering rack. I had the choice of two as I bought another which I believe to be a sports pack one. Having tested them theres a 1/4 turn difference so Im not convinced however its a quarter turn less so it made the cut. It needed refurbed as the rubbers were split and the grease had all escaped, bolts were rusted solid and track rod ends had seen better days.

Had a spare refurb kit that a guy at my dads work donated to the cause after learning out his garage years ago so that was handy! After mixing and matching track rod ends from the two I got a decent steering rack together! Stripped the U bolts and painted them in silver Hammerite to protect them. Didn't repaint the rack itself as it was in pretty good nick under the grime which must have preserved it.

So here it is, all regreased, new rubbers and bolts replaced for stainless.

Posted Image

So with that installed I got the column in too. Got a drop bracket on it but I think I must have snapped the bolt that attaches it to the dash rail as its nowhere to be found, so its tie wrapped in place for now. This won't be the final steering wheel as I have something special in mind for that. ;)

Posted Image

And with that all installed I started to tackle the wiring loom. Been dreading this but once I had it all load out side by side its actually pretty simple. Thankfully I had labelled most of the old loom as I took it out. If I hadn't done this I would have had no hope in getting it done!

At this stage I was a little worried.....

Posted Image

Old loom on drivers side and new loom on passenger side. Almost all done but finished up early to relax in front of the TV for a while before work all day tomorrow :)

Posted Image

Satisfying to finally get going with it!

I can see the June 2nd target being met at this rate :D

#192 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

I just finished all 13 pages and really wanted to say thank you for the inspiration. Your camera work is brill and I am really looking forward to more updates as they roll in.

Thanks! Good to know people are getting inspired by what Im doing. Its just nuts and bolts being put together really, anyone could do it. :)

This is cracking!, followed this from the start and that paint job is mint. Just wish i had mine to do but parents arent so sure. Im working on it. But its a great help and inspiration. Best of luck with the rebuild cant wait to see this done! :D

Read this out to my mum and she said 'Tell him he could do a lot worse with his money at his age' which is very true. I don't smoke, drink (that often) and Im careful with my money (don't waste it on random crap) which has enabled me to do this out of my own pocket rather than the bank of mum and dad.

Lovely paint job! it looks amazing!

Thanks! That will please Phil the painter :lol:

#193 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Carefull with your money eh Andy....Thats unusual for an Aberdonian!! LOL...Trig looks great...cant wait to see him on the Thistle Run..Good luck with the rebuild, im sure you will make it on time..

#194 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Carefull with your money eh Andy....Thats unusual for an Aberdonian!! LOL...Trig looks great...cant wait to see him on the Thistle Run..Good luck with the rebuild, im sure you will make it on time..

:lol: Don't know what you mean...... :D

Thistle Run should be possible but going to have to graft on in the evenings to get there! Really need to get my subframes blasted!!!

#195 cjg199

cjg199

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Read this out to my mum and she said 'Tell him he could do a lot worse with his money at his age' which is very true. I don't smoke, drink (that often) and Im careful with my money (don't waste it on random crap) which has enabled me to do this out of my own pocket rather than the bank of mum and dad.

Haha that is very true :) i dont drink much either or smoke. Most of it will be my money and all my efforts. Dont want help want to do it all myself as then it truly is MY car!!
Once again though, great project cant wait to see it done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users