minimuk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

WOW finally that battery box has been finished :lol:
seems ages since ive seen other bits of your car ;D
Only joking great work alex as the above theres some rare brown stuff in your sill which
has a canny resemblance to rusts thinking about it it must just be my eyes seing things :lol: .

Regards
Clifford

Cheer's clifford, I think the battery box is well done ;D, Must be your eye's :lol:.

Alex, good job yr doing, I love the sight of the last few picies, cut it all out!!! But before any more cutting, measure all and write it down somewhere, brace A-post to B-post and diagonally to A-postto B-post top corner........ then you can play again....good luck

Thanks, I didn't expect we'd cut out so much O_O, but out with the old and in with the new. I was thinking of taking measurement's but then forgot, That'll be my first job tomorrow.

don't forget bracing......

I'm not too sure what to brace? the inner sill should be atleast tacked in tomorrow and We're not cutting anymore of the doorstep out.

put a metal bar just above the bottum door hinge holes on the inside of the A-post horizontal to the inside B-post, just a few tacks then diagonally from the A-post where you just tacked the horizontal bar to the top corner of the B-post, , it wil stop any movements, it's just a precaution.then you can cut as much as you like, by the looks of it, inner sill needs to go, doorstep and leftover outer sill.and bottum door post probably....you'll see. Just take your time and measure first.... ;D

#212 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

WOW finally that battery box has been finished :lol:
seems ages since ive seen other bits of your car ;D
Only joking great work alex as the above theres some rare brown stuff in your sill which
has a canny resemblance to rusts thinking about it it must just be my eyes seing things :lol: .

Regards
Clifford

Cheer's clifford, I think the battery box is well done ;D, Must be your eye's :lol:.

Alex, good job yr doing, I love the sight of the last few picies, cut it all out!!! But before any more cutting, measure all and write it down somewhere, brace A-post to B-post and diagonally to A-postto B-post top corner........ then you can play again....good luck

Thanks, I didn't expect we'd cut out so much O_O, but out with the old and in with the new. I was thinking of taking measurement's but then forgot, That'll be my first job tomorrow.

don't forget bracing......

I'm not too sure what to brace? the inner sill should be atleast tacked in tomorrow and We're not cutting anymore of the doorstep out.

put a metal bar just above the bottum door hinge holes on the inside of the A-post horizontal to the inside B-post, just a few tacks then diagonally from the A-post where you just tacked the horizontal bar to the top corner of the B-post, , it wil stop any movements, it's just a precaution.then you can cut as much as you like, by the looks of it, inner sill needs to go, doorstep and leftover outer sill.and bottum door post probably....you'll see. Just take your time and measure first.... ;D

Ok cheer's, I'll see tomorrow. :D

#213 ToddM

ToddM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Liking the progress, Alex! Nice going! I love how you've tackled the valance closing panels, giving me some ideas there.
Todd

#214 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Liking the progress, Alex! Nice going! I love how you've tackled the valance closing panels, giving me some ideas there.
Todd

Cheer's todd, I'm glad people are finding it useful, I think that my closure's are better than the genuine parts :P. Just make a cardboard template then transfer it onto metal. :-)

Alex

#215 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Didn't manage to get the inner sill welded or tacked in as we were doing more cutting :lol: .
So I took some measurements and welded in a piece of angle to the door step.
Posted Image
So then the cutting begun, Cut out the front of the floor pan and drilled out the spot weld's,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Then cut out some of the sill and and more of the flitch.
Posted Image
made a piece for the end of the toe board that was rusty.
Posted Image
Then We made a peice for the sill, Joggling it so we can weld underneath in the gap and clamped it in place.
Posted Image
Posted Image
And thats how we left it, till next weekend folks.

Alex

#216 minimuk

minimuk

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

nice work Alex, glad you braced it a bit, aslong you see the point of it, you'll do it everytime.. ;D

#217 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'm glad we did, I dont think it would have been strong enough to leave it over the week.

#218 minimuk

minimuk

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm glad we did, I dont think it would have been strong enough to leave it over the week.

you be amazed what can happen overnight even, tension in metal is funny stuff, a bit like gravety thingy.....

#219 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

An Update from the weekend.
Got the sill spotwelded in
Posted Image
need's to be cleaned underneath and seam welded
Posted Image
Then we made 2 pieces for the door post and welded them in, which still need to be ground down and maybe altered slightly.
Posted Image
Posted Image
We also made 2 strengthener's that goes between the sill and inner sill.
Posted Image

We've decided to buy a floor pan rather than makeing one and also getting a flitch.

Alex

#220 minimuk

minimuk

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

nice work again Alex, bottom doorpost repair looks good, and agree, better buy a flitch and floor-pan, to much metal bashing and never get the result u want

#221 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks, It will be a lot quicker and easyer, I will make a jacking point, I just need to find the right size square steel.

#222 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Not really an update, My panels arrived on friday, but Didn't do anything this weekend but should get some done next weekend.
Posted Image

Alex

#223 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Today we made a start of fitting the floor panel
Cut out what we needed to.
Posted Image
Welded the bottom of the door post stiffner.
Posted Image
And ground down the spot welds on the sill repair.
Posted Image

We Also cut the floor panel to fit, we're going to joggle it so it will be stronger, and we drilled holes to be plug welded. I wire brushed where the panel will sit ready to be welded in tomorrow.

Alex

#224 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

So today we did some more fitting, getting the floor panel ready.
Posted Image
The inner sill under the cross member was rusty so cut it out, the old sill was also left in so pulled it out with some brute force. We then made the inner part of the repair and I welded it inside the cross member.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Then Dad ground down the welds on the sides with the air grinder and burr.
After he'd done that we made the other part, I joggled the sides so that it can be spot welded and to give it more strength. And I spot welded it to the bottom repair.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Once we'd done that we set about plug welding the floor panel.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
We didn't finish all of them so that's next weekends job. I sprayed some paint down the cross member to protect it from the rust.

Any comment's welcome.

Alex

#225 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Any feedback good or bad. :gimme:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users