binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

I dont know?

could it?

I dont see how, I never had a problem before it went in for the engine change. It stuck to the road like sh*t to a blanket!

not if I try taking a corner quickly, I actually get loads of over steer and loose traction of the car! :saywhat:

Im not driving it any faster into corners than I used to before it went in for the engine changing.

Also, If I do wheelspin (Like on a wet road or somthing) the car goes right?

The tracking is spot on too, Ive had it on the ramps with the gagues on it at work. Its actually spot on. (0,0 on the front and its on 7,7 at the rear)...

<|Ben|>

#32 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

How much is a set of 4 Rubber cones. The ones on my car are origional 1985 Cones, and they ARE perrished and have cracks in the rubber. I know that for sure as ive had them off before.

So you took them out before? saw that they were perished and cracked and just wacked them back in? Is it me or is that just being idiotic? I would wait and not drive the car to get some new cones and replace them as you know its affecting the suspension and that your gonna have to replace them sometime.

There isnt enough common sense going into this engine transplant...

#33 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

Also, If I do wheelspin (Like on a wet road or somthing) the car goes right?

The tracking is spot on too, Ive had it on the ramps with the gagues on it at work. Its actually spot on. (0,0 on the front and its on 7,7 at the rear)...

is the spacing necessary? Also, does the back stick out wider than the front. I am not sure, but I reckon that could promote oversteer!

Also, the wheel spin thing, it could be turning to the right for a number of reasons. Maybe you have a paartly seized caliper on one side, tyre pressures could be uneven and so on. :erm:

#34 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:43 PM

i agree that 31psi is abit high, try 28, it might make the difference. do you have the 8*13's on there? When i went from a 998 to a 1275, i kept getting wheelspin when pullin away, just keep practising. Are you sure it's your wheel slipping and not the clutch?

#35 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:17 PM

Well thats for the Serious/helpfull replies.

Blackout, I didnt replace them at the time as I had NO money what so ever. And then the car went in the garage for the engine swap anyway.

I also didnt not drive the car because I work ful time, and I dont have any other transport.

Ive spent the entire day in the garage today, Done An awful lot of work on the car.
To start with, I had the whole rear end off, Took off the shocks and Trumpets/rubber cones.

I got some newer rubber cones which I had in a box from when I broke my black mini last week.

I fitted the Hi-lows and Koni Shocks to the rear of the car. Set the suspension to be about 3/4" lower than it origioanlly was, And when I jacked the car up, The rubber Cones came out of place and the whole Hi-low arm came loose as the Shock was allowing the Radius arm to drop too low.

I managed to find a Happy medium where the car was still lower, But the whole setup was secure.

I Then changed the front shocks. Couldnt Put hi-lows on the front as I dont have any, And I dont have a compression tool.

the Ride height is Now level all round the car. So I dont think its the front shocks / dampers that were knackered, I think its beacuse one of the Rubber cones wernt seated correctly from when the car was last lowered (previous owner).

Anyway, Got it all back together, took it out for a spin. It handles ALOT better. Still a bit Sketchy when On roundabouts and that, But thats probably me Just driving a little fast rather than the car.

As for the Juddering during gear changes, It is because the near side ball joint assy was totally screwed up.

Where the mechanic had them split to change the enigne, he must not have tightened the top one up properly, Anyway there was EXESSIVE play in this ball Joint.

Everything is tight now, Car drives good. Im putting Yokahomas on the front tomorrow rather than Falkens.

As for the engine steady, I really do need a new one, PLUS an Ultimate Engine steady.
enine still has a bit of movement.

Apart from that, Its been an ok day. Next day off is Wednesday, So hopefully by then The clutch will be done and I will have a compression tool so I can begin Changing the front cones and lowering the front of the car.

Ill get some pictures of the setup tomorrow too. :w00t:

#36 minigraham

minigraham

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:21 PM

well done.. I dont fink all the stick you got was fair :cool: but hey uve found the problem now..! :saywhat: good luck with gettin ur car bk to some good mini fun :w00t:

#37 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

regarding the front trumpets, i have heard of people that have just shattered them to remove them before. I know it is not good practice but if you are in a pinch it might work. and if you are replacing the old trumpets with the hilos then you probally will just chuck them away anyway. if you do smash the old trumpets make sure you get all of the fragments out of the mounting area. i will probally get flamed for what i just said. :erm:

#38 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

Hi Binge,

If your tracking is out i think this would affect the tyres ability
to grip as the tyres would be trying to put the drive down in opposite
directions ie inwards towards the front center of the car ( as toe-in)
or outwards towards front outside of the car (as toe-out) wheel
driving against each other would cause them to spin under load.
with either adverse toe-in or toe-out you would get bump steer,
this cauld also be caused by worn dampers.

Hope this is more help to you.

Carl. :cheese:

#39 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

Get the stabiliser bar bushes done first !! They are only pence to buy but will save you lots when you end up cracking the exhaust/manifold !!

and you do NOT need an ultimate engine steady as long as all the other bushes and mountings are in good condition !

#40 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:14 PM

I used to have an ultimate engine steady on the 998, and it really did help :w00t:
Gona do the engine steady this week.

As for the tracking, its perfectly ok. I checked it at work on friday

#41 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:15 PM

regarding the front trumpets, i have heard of people that have just shattered them to remove them before. I know it is not good practice but if you are in a pinch it might work. and if you are replacing the old trumpets with the hilos then you probally will just chuck them away anyway. if you do smash the old trumpets make sure you get all of the fragments out of the mounting area. i will probally get flamed for what i just said. :erm:

And I can get the new Hi-lows in without a Compresson tool too?

#42 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:58 PM

Yep! ive heard if you wind em right down you can squeeze them in!

#43 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:10 AM

But then they are a bugger to get the correct hight and even from side to side :nugget:

#44 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:19 AM

You can do it without a compression tool by removing the top arm.

In fact, if you're replacing the front cones (not sure if you are or not), then the top arm has to come out anyway.

But its not an easy job [to remove the top arm], and if the cones are staying put its much better to buy a compression tool and do it that way.

#45 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:04 AM

Ahh ok.

Yea, I really dont want to go Shattering my current trumpets because If I cant get the HI-lows to go in, Then I m without a Mini! :tongue:

Think ill just hang on and get a compression tool!

Unless anybody Local to me has one I can borrow. Ill buy You a drink at the next mini meet or somthing.

Local, I mean close to Chatham. Medway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users