54 replies to this topic

#16 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:21 PM

Just Hi Los and shocks wont do it......its the rubber cones you need to replace. As well as ALL the subframe mountings by the sound of it !!!!

#17 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

oh, Ok. Looks like Im gona be busy. :tongue:

#18 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:33 PM

31 psi could be a tad high but get everything else sorted first then you can play with tyre pressures.

#19 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

But it's not as easy as to just assume that things are worn out. Well, not if you want to keep the bank manager happy. The donuts may be fine and just the knuckles gone. However, the only sure way to see is to strip it down, check, and rebuild things (replacing worn parts as you go).

It's a pretty safe assumption though that if it's got as bad as uneven ride height, and you know that other things are worn, then you'll need to replace the sub mounts, top arm bearings & shaft, lower arm bushes, tie bar bushes, tie rod ends, swivel joints, engine mounts and even wheel bearings.

Take a fortnight, strip it, order things if unsure, and rebuild it properly.

And yes, you'll be busy!

#20 Bigbudders

Bigbudders

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:42 PM

While your at it mate, HD tie rods do wonders. You can pay £20 plus bushes but you'll need to get the castor set.

I don't think i've ever seen a mini with standard tie rods that aren't bent :rolleyes:

They're just so flimsy. I too have some trouble with grip, not so much now i got falkens on, but still some. I think my bendy tie rods aren't helping and my dampers seem past there best :nugget:

You can change dampers without the compression tool, as that is just for the rubber cones.

For changing rubber cones or fitting hi-los you will need the tool. Its one of them real nasty jobs i wouldn't like to do. Couldn't get the tool to bite properly.... and it springs off with some force :sad:

#21 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:42 PM

Woah, A WHOLE 55bhp. w00t!

Sarcasm gets you nowhere.

The people that are trying 2 help you are respected members of the forum and have alot more driving experience and technical knowledge than you (or me) so maybe its in your best interests 2 listen 2 what they're saying instead of dismissing it.

#22 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:54 PM

If one side is worn and sitting lower that the other
The suspension and tracking will be out
So there is no way it will go down the road straight

If you need a cone compressor I’ve got one you can borrow :rolleyes:

And as for the tyre pressures any were between 28psi and 30psi should be fine

#23 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

My tyres are Falkens, PLEANTY of tread and decent tyre pressures (31psi all round)

Too much pressure.

Should be 28 all round on standard 145/70x12 or 28 on the front and 26 on the rear for 165/60x12 and 175/50x13

And if I remember rightly Falkens are Bridgstones and Bridgestones use a hard compound and tend to slip all over the place, they cought me out mid way through a corner once, and wasn't even trying.

#24 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

The cones will be fine. There seems to be alot of this going around, that if your suspention is uneven or sitting low your cones are goosed. ********. I had a 26year old mini with the original cones and once the knuckles and dampers were replaced the suspention was fine. The cones soften up with age yes but only to a point and this should be considered as a standard. This in my eyes, for a road going car, is a good thing, considering the state of the roads at the minute. fitting new cones will feel stiffer, but will eventualy soften up and you will never notice as it takes time. You feel the initial difference with the change but then never notice the change over time. Fitting the Original Hi-Lo increases spring rate as the shoulder that the cone bears on is larger thereby changing the spring rate. Stiffer dampers only change the rate of bump and rebound and does nothing to stiffen up the spring. Stiff settings on dampers on the bumpy roads we have do nothing for handling, brilliant for the very flat race track but useless for the road.

Mini spares do an uprated spring which is stiffer than the original :cheese:

Granted that there will be cases when the cones are duff, but then they are usualy noticeble being perished and cracked and the metal rings usualy drop out

#25 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:43 AM

My clubby was sitting low on one corner and it was the doughnut that was at fault, I compared the one I took out to the new one and there was roughly a 1cm difference.

As for the drip, I'd say its a combinaton of rubbish suspension and slippy roads. I've gone sideways several times recently when travelling at slow speeds. Mainly because the roads are very greasey and also because I make a lot of short trips, so my tyres never really warm up, expecially on a damp road.

#26 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:55 AM

My clubby was sitting low on one corner and it was the doughnut that was at fault, I compared the one I took out to the new one and there was roughly a 1cm difference.

Yes but have you compared a settled new cone to an old one?????

#27 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:26 AM

As for the drip, I'd say......

Freudian slip ??? :cheese:

All the above advice has been given freely, and comes from a number of reliable sources. You seem a little impetuous and realy need to stop think and then act. Mini's should be a pleasure to own and drive, stop trying to compare them with modern euro-boxes and think of the mechanics of what is involved in keeping a car on the road, and going round corners.

Collectively you must have had the attention of over 100 years of driving experience and mini ownership on this thread.

If you're not going to take the advice of people, then why ask ?

Edited by GuessWorks, 05 February 2006 - 09:32 AM.

#28 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

To me it sounds like there are several 'real' issues.

1. 31 lb/in² IS too high (as has already been said),
2. You have put a different engine in the car which will make it feel different.
3. You are freely admitting that the suspension is not 100%,
4. You are a relatively new driver (no offence intended),

All of these factors seem to be adding up to make the mini handle badly! Firstly, drop the tyre pressures as has already been suggested, secondly, get the suspension sorted, thirdly (again already been said) never put a bigger faster motor in a car without making sure it is up to the job!

And finally, get some experience of how far you can push the car without loss of control, a sorted mini should stick to the road like s**t to a blanket (but not until everything else is put right).

#29 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:37 PM

:sad:

Well unfortionatly I dont have the money to get all the parts I need AND get through the month.

Im down to £250 already, and Ive got £140 to pay out on a Clutch on TUesday. So yea, No chance until Next month (3 Weeks now)

Ive got the 206 to run about in so I will be striping the mini down over the next few weeks.

How much is a set of 4 Rubber cones. The ones on my car are origional 1985 Cones, and they ARE perrished and have cracks in the rubber. I know that for sure as ive had them off before.
THe Trumpets are also seized to the rubber cones / donuts.

Knucked Joints are brand new on the rear, I replaced them a couple of months ago. Ive got new knuckle Joints for the front, Ive got 4 Replacement shocks, Ive also got a pair of hi-los to go on.

Think im going to fit the hi-los on the front first. THen get a set for the rear at a later date. The back is at a nice ride height already, The front is too high. (Well, at One side anyway :tongue: )

Also the engine steadies are SH*T! There is SO much movement in the engine its unreal! :erm:
If I put the car in gear, Open the bonnet, then roll the car back and forth (so the car stops under the engines compression) you can actually see the engine Rocking forwards and backwards.

Its moving enough to dent the Air filter against the bulkhead!

Argh, I really need to get to work on this thing, Thing is, I work Monday - saturday. So I get like, a sunday off each week. Not alot of time really.

<|Ben|>

#30 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:01 PM

Could it be something to do with the 2" spacers??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users