384 replies to this topic

#46 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

hmm looks good and steady, are you going to give it this special spray coating, which increases the temp sealing function and should make sure that it doesn't fall off to quick?
I did and the first 30 miles i thought my car was burning, so much smoke came into the cabin. it's like black spray and my dealer told me to use it for sure in order to keep it ok for longer as one year...

it will look like this afterwards, but I can't tell you if it really makes it last longer...I cán tell you that the wrapping which was on the headers when i bought the car was 300 miles old and it fell apart like burned paper!

foto 3.JPG

#47 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

Yep, already did it.

Edited by Birdman, 18 March 2014 - 02:24 AM.

#48 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

I don't know if I would trust normal fiberglass header wrap on a turbo exhaust side housing. Typical wraps are only rated to between 1000 degF and 1200 degF - uncoated turbine housings can easily get higher than 1200 degF. No problem with the headers being wrapped, just the turbine housing itself. Why not use a blanket that is rated for turbine housing temps?

Out of boredom I decided to wrap my exhaust header and turbo.

#49 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

I guess it because I don't know what I'm doing. I've never worked with a turbo before. Looking at Johanmini's wrap, and talking with my local speed shop, they said this is what to use. So I assumed they knew what they were talking about.

#50 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

I guess it because I don't know what I'm doing. I've never worked with a turbo before. Looking at Johanmini's wrap, and talking with my local speed shop, they said this is what to use. So I assumed they knew what they were talking about.

depends on what you're using, I used a special brand which is secured untill 1400 degrees celcius, should be sufficient. There are those "socks" for the turbo, but it wasn't available at the moment I needed it ánd it was quite expensive and the dealer told me to use this wrap because of the extremely high temp range. The wrap was some bits more expensive, but ok.

#51 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Yep, already did it.

Looking at this picture I see you're wastegate, hope it's (very) high temp, mine melted within 200miles (the diaphragm), when I wanted to take the serpent of in order to test the gate, it fell in 5 parts, was as hard as a rock...so when you're experiencing boost which isn't controlable through your boostcontroller anymore all of a sudden, the gate or the serpent is leaking. maybe you should also ad a special heatreflecting hose around the serpent in order to prevent this sort of problems, it's so close to the turbo and wastegate at your setup.

#52 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

melted wastegate and serpents look like this:

Attached File  foto 1.JPG   352K   32 downloadsAttached File  foto 3.JPG   352K   22 downloadsAttached File  foto 4.JPG   368K   23 downloads

#53 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

I used a 2000 degree wrap made by "Cool it". As far as the waste gate location, this is where the kit instructed it to be installed so I can only assume Terry at "Mr Turbo" know what he is doing.

#54 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

What is the Serpant?

#55 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

I used a 2000 degree wrap made by "Cool it". As far as the waste gate location, this is where the kit instructed it to be installed so I can only assume Terry at "Mr Turbo" know what he is doing.

jep that's the one i used also! I thought it was even warmer, but ok, 2000 fahrenheit should be ok, mine's still ok after 300 miles now. The serpant...damn google translate, I don't know the word, the air tube which goes onto the waste gate and probably one to go out of it back to the actuater. The hose? choose your word...

Edited by Johanmini, 10 January 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#56 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

OK. There's only the waste gate which bolts onto the pipe from the exhaust. And a rubber hose going out to the intake. I can see where the hose could easily get hot and melt.

#57 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

be careful though...the 2000F rating on the Thermotec (Cool It) is a 30 second rating.

Edited by Monte Busa, 10 January 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#58 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'll just have to give it a try and see how it does. If it burns off I'll just have to get some K-Wool from the refinery I used to work at. Nothing will burn that stuff.

#59 M1n1c00per

M1n1c00per

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

BigBird, this will be one Bad-@ss ride, can’t wait to see this thing roll!! =D

I'm not 100% sure on the Hyabusa, but the K20a2 Acura lump when plugged into a cold air feed from outside the engine bay will give you an additional 7-10HP…

Edited by M1n1c00per, 10 January 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#60 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

I'm planing on adding a scoop that directs cold outside air to the air cleaner, same with the oil cooler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users