384 replies to this topic

#286 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. That Rotrex system really looks nice, but with all the problems I had with the turbo I.m going to stay away from the Rotrex also. I am really liking simple. The Megasquirt stand alone ECU was probably the best thing I have done for the car. My wiring is now very clean and simple, eliminating that mass of Hayabusa wiring. And natural induction with just four velocity stacks sounds pretty clean and simple also. Maybe not quite as much power, but enough and hopefully trouble free.

#287 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Sense I will no longer be running the turbo I needed to replace the turbo exhaust manifold with a header. So I bought a small block Chevy 1 3/4" weld up kit and went to work. The pipes are not quite equal length. I might try making a better one later. Here's the end result.

Attached Files

• Attached File  100.jpg   48.85K   19 downloads
  • Attached File  101.jpg   67.43K   39 downloads

#288 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

I wasn't happy with the 1st header I made. Primary tubes to short and no where near equal length.
So today I made a new header. I'm much happier with this one. 1 3/4" primary's, 23" long and all equal in length. This will give me a lower and broader torque band than the 1st header.

Attached Files

• Attached File  104.jpg   88.23K   53 downloads

#289 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Nice skills there Birdman.

#290 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Nice skills there Birdman.

Thank you. It was a fun project. Next I'll get it ceramic coated so it looks nice and pretty. BG Pretty pipes go faster, Right?

#291 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

BG Pretty pipes go faster, Right?

For sure.....

#292 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

Just got my 1st header back from the Powder Coaters. It was coated with a high temp (1800 degree) ceramic coating. It really looks sharp. Since I will be using the 2nd header I made this one is for sale.

Attached Files

• Attached File  105.jpg   39.94K   22 downloads
  • Attached File  106.jpg   27.75K   13 downloads

#293 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

I got my 1397 kit yesterday and installed it. Now I'm just waiting on the head.

Attached Files

• Attached File  107.jpg   70.23K   30 downloads
  • Attached File  108.jpg   64.04K   24 downloads

#294 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

I'm still waiting for my head and cams but I made a new intake. Next will be ceramic coating it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  110.jpg   73.47K   37 downloads
  • Attached File  102.jpg   50.22K   37 downloads

#295 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

A few weeks ago I sent my head to a company that specializes in Hayabusa's to get the full race treatment.  CNC port and polish, 3 angle valve grind, new guides and seals, and new 425 cams.  When all the head work was done come to find out they were out of stock on the intake cam and had to order it.  They finally got the cam, set the valve lash, and shipped my head yesterday.  So hopefully I'll get it by next friday and if all goes well I can get it all back together over the weekend.

I also ordered a new set of Avon slicks as the old ones were getting hard.

Can't wait to get back on the track.

#296 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

The new engine is back in the car and running.  I love the Mega Squirt ECU.  It eliminated all the screwed up Hayabusa wiring with all it's safety cut outs.  Just basic wiring, nice and neat.  If anyone ever wants to use this system (less than 500 bucks) let me know and I'll e-mail you my MAP.  It took a few hours to get the basic programing right as the Mega Squirt has more settings and adjustments than you can imagine.  

I put the ECU in the engine bay, so no wiring or equipment in the drivers area.  I used the Hayabusa rectifier for the charging circuit but used a Ford starter solenoid for starting.  Also the Mega Squirt won't fire the Hayabuse coils so I went with a Ford  dual coil and it's operating in "Wasted Spark".  All in all this system was very easy and straight forward to install.  All the wires were clearly marked.  I would never consider building another Hayabusa powered car with the stock wiring harness.  

BUT!  I wouldn't suggest using Mega Squirt unless you know a tuner fluient in Mega Squirt language and settings to get it set up.

Right now it is just tuned by ear good enough to start and run.  I went for a short drive just to make sure there were no leaks and the engine wouldn't over heat or anything.  Thursday morning it will go on the dyno and we're stopping by the track on the way home for a few check out laps.  

Attached Files

• Attached File  111.jpg   51.36K   34 downloads
  • Attached File  112.jpg   76.5K   46 downloads
  • Attached File  113.jpg   54.05K   23 downloads
  • Attached File  114.jpg   59.26K   22 downloads

Edited by Birdman, 14 May 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#297 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Oh the continual development...... you gotta love it.......

#298 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

Sweet success.  Besides the mew Megasquirt system I eliminated the turbo.  Built a new 13 to 1, 1400 CC motor.  

Here's a link to "Lunatic Racing", my Facebook page with a couple new videos.  

https://www.facebook...375620119162747

193 hp at the wheels, about 230 at the crank @ 10,500 rpm.

#299 korky

korky

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

insane.

#300 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

I'm Legal!

The state of Oregon where I live has what they call a "Special Purpose" license plate.  This is a plate for non street legal special purpose cars, that allow you to drive them on the street to events and back.  Pretty neat.  Well before you can get a "SP"plate you need a title.  That's usually no problem, just bring the car down for inspection will bill of sales for all the parts and Oregon will issue you a Vin number and title,than you can get a "SP" plate.  

Now here comes the hitch.

SP plates can only be had for cars 25 years and older.  I can still get a title and regular plate for my car as a "Kit Car", but as a kit car it has to be fully street legal, horn, wipers, and so on, which I have none of that being a race car.

So the clerk asked what the car looked like, I said it looked like an old Mini Cooper, only a fiberglass reproduction so to speak.  So she said if it made no difference to me she could issue me a title and SP plate for a 1979 Mini Cooper Reproduction.  

OK, so far so good.

So she looks through Oregon's manufacture codes and there is no code for Mini, but there is a code for Cooper.  So,

As of now, my 2011 Z-Cars Monte Carlo is titled and licensed, complete with a VIN #,  fully legal to drive on the street, as a "1979 Cooper Reproduction".

Edited by Birdman, 31 May 2013 - 01:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users