#31 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hate to say it, but I'm really worried about that driver's rear 1/4 panel.

Glad you're alright though - I know it's horrible :(

(Unless it's a really unfortunate shadow!?)

#32 the_r_sole

the_r_sole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

yup, they shouldn't increase the premium but they do - they also try and shaft you on the value of the car that is written off and anything else they can worm their way out of! They have you every way!
If i had known my insurance costs would have been so much I definitely would have lodged the claim, I just didn't want the hassle when I was trying to sort everything else out - if the op doesn't have whiplash from that impact i would be very surprised, therefore it is a legit claim, as mine would have been - you live and learn i suppose...

#33 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

the thing is he changed his seats to ones with out headrest like a month ago :L

#34 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

You could argue the other way, that there are more scumbags on the road without insurance because the premiums are so high!!

#35 the_r_sole

the_r_sole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

if you can, you should see if he will pay for the damage directly (i.e. not involving the insurance compaines) I had a similar thing and my next insurance premium increased by a good 400 quid even with the accident being a non-fault accident - bloody nightmare!
Or if he does want to go through the insurance just make sure you lodge a whiplash claim to offset the premium increase... :sneaky: (wish i had realised this when it happened to me)

That attitude is why insurance is so high in the first place!

why, because i didn't claim a genuine injury?
if you are not at fault and someone runs into you writing the car off, do you not think the insurance company you pay should sort you out rather than trying to shaft you? to be honest insurance premiums should be a lot less, my claim certainly gave them more money than I got back, and i was left without a car at the end!

#36 joshspragg

joshspragg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Local Club: M4 minis

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

I wasn't saying that you don't have whiplash, but I am sure a lot of people that have accidents don't have it. Do your seats have head rests?

nope. which is the scary thing, i'm not aware of how violent my body got swung around.

#37 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

The term whiplash is a generic colloquial term for neck/ back damage. it isn't a medical term although it may be used as a way of describing the type of injury. If you have damaged your neck, refrain from saying whiplash to the insurance company/ doctors etc.

#38 Beej123

Beej123

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

if you can, you should see if he will pay for the damage directly (i.e. not involving the insurance compaines) I had a similar thing and my next insurance premium increased by a good 400 quid even with the accident being a non-fault accident - bloody nightmare!
Or if he does want to go through the insurance just make sure you lodge a whiplash claim to offset the premium increase... :sneaky: (wish i had realised this when it happened to me)

if you are not at fault and someone runs into you writing the car off, do you not think the insurance company you pay should sort you out rather than trying to shaft you? to be honest insurance premiums should be a lot less, my claim certainly gave them more money than I got back, and i was left without a car at the end!

Because the attitude of 'claim for whiplash and get 2.5k' is shared by thousands and A LOT do make false claims which costs insurers money which means prices go up to compensate!

#39 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,818 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

That impact damage is enough to cause whiplash with or without a head restraint which are rarely set at the correct height by drivers......also enough damage to be a financial write-off based on ins company values for a Mini of that age, so as said keep away from insurance companies if possible and deal direct with the other driver involved with a private cash payment.

#40 the_r_sole

the_r_sole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

Because the attitude of 'claim for whiplash and get 2.5k' is shared by thousands and A LOT do make false claims which costs insurers money which means prices go up to compensate!

if its the only way to get enough money to get a replacement car and cover the costs of the hike in insurance, then it's really the fault of the insurance company for not covering people correctly and trying to take advantage of every situation!
If you run into the back of me, expect me to claim for absolutely everything i possibly can, not getting shafted by them again!!

#41 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

I don't imagine for 1 minute the other driver will want to pay to fix the damage, it will cost easily £1000 to repair that

#42 Beej123

Beej123

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

if its the only way to get enough money to get a replacement car and cover the costs of the hike in insurance, then it's really the fault of the insurance company for not covering people correctly and trying to take advantage of every situation!
If you run into the back of me, expect me to claim for absolutely everything i possibly can, not getting shafted by them again!!

If you insured your car properly you would get a good payout, that's why agreed valuations exist for cars, especially classics!
They shaft you and then you shaft them so they shaft you which makes you want to shaft them, see the cycle?
You can't defend making false claims, however you look at it, it's fraud!

#43 greenclubby

greenclubby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Local Club: Wyre Forest mini club

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Through working in a bodyshop im almost certain the insurance will write this off even without the crease in the quarter panel i would try and settle for a cash payment from your tutor if you dont want to risk loosing your car. Totally gutted for you hope your neck feels better i narrowly avoided a car in the back of my mini last year, saw it coming and drove straight up the grass verge so he didnt hit me! Good luck sorting this out.

#44 the_r_sole

the_r_sole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

If you insured your car properly you would get a good payout, that's why agreed valuations exist for cars, especially classics!
They shaft you and then you shaft them so they shaft you which makes you want to shaft them, see the cycle?
You can't defend making false claims, however you look at it, it's fraud!

please look at my posts, not once have i said to make a false claim - i do have an agreed valuation on my current mini, as i said - live and learn

#45 Beej123

Beej123

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

If you run into the back of me, expect me to claim for absolutely everything i possibly can

That's your words, and if you look, I questioned the attitude, not your specific claim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users