45 replies to this topic

#31 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Probably worth mentioning RaspberryPi if people are looking at including computers.

That actually looks like a decent peice of kit, more so for been £25, as for in outs, usb supports 256 devices, really how many IO's do u want?

#32 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Posted Image

#33 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Posted Image

What?

#34 gerits

gerits

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Probably worth mentioning RaspberryPi if people are looking at including computers.

That actually looks like a decent peice of kit, more so for been £25, as for in outs, usb supports 256 devices, really how many IO's do u want?

Usb is not gpio. Unless if you want to create 256 boards and write 256 drivers. (Google for GPIO)

And I forgot to mention: raspi has no standby mode (no bios) and boots realy slow because of slow processor.

I will unveil more details about my project as soon as I've figured out some details. It will be in a different direction then the raspberry pi.

#35 mattbeddow

mattbeddow

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

it does have GPIO pins made readily available though. I cant remember the exact number but its at least 14. thought that would be enough for most things.

#36 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

I mentioned Ra-Pi because it's cheap and looks to be gathering a user base similar to Arduino - the GPIO pins are also promising for this sort of project. There are similar products about that may well outperform it at some tasks & I agree it is lacking boot/standby features - no on board clock either. Arduino would still be a better choice for many of these jobs - simpler and likely to be less buggy with no OS to conflict with. I reckon you are better off with several cheap processor boards than one more pricey board trying to multitask.

#37 jeebz

jeebz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

How do speeds compare between the two?

#38 gerits

gerits

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

For the people who are still interested in some IO with the raspberry pi: http://www.raspberry...g/archives/1734

It's an extension board for the IO ports of the raspberry pi, they call it the gertboard, and it seems to be a good solution for IO. This still doesn't help with the standby and slow booting problem, but might help if you try to do it cheap and don't mind the build quality.

I still wonder how you wanted to connect a screen to it in your car. Find a 5" hdmi screen? And enough power for this screen?

oh, and some images:
Posted Image

Edited by gerits, 09 August 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#39 mattbeddow

mattbeddow

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Ive not found any head units that will take a HDMI in but this website:http://linitx.com/category/52/52 does lots of in car pc components so might do a suitable screen

Edited by mattbeddow, 09 August 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#40 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

The splurge on the gertboard suggests it'll be using an Arduino compatible chip. Just like a PC, the more you add to the OS, the longer it'll take to boot. You could power it via remote central locking to give it as long as possible to boot before you turn the ignition key, current draw would be low enough to leave it running for several days.

The composite video out is promising for in car use - the same as reversing cameras. I'd be surprised if there isn't a sound workaround - you have on board lan; wifi & bluetooth support is very likely and I don't see why one of the GPIO pins couldn't send spdif.

You can get basic a graphic display out of arduino, the likes of raspberry pi offer the opportunity to build and run a GUI with html, flash, java.

#41 jeebz

jeebz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

How could you link up these devices with something like an android tablet? If you could do that you could just use the Arduino or the Pi as a data logger and convert the signals on the tablet to something comprehensible. That way you don't need much computing power from the boards, and you could have a screen sorted and you could use the android to have a nice display of clocks and whatever else you wanted.

#42 gerits

gerits

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

The splurge on the gertboard suggests it'll be using an Arduino compatible chip. Just like a PC, the more you add to the OS, the longer it'll take to boot. You could power it via remote central locking to give it as long as possible to boot before you turn the ignition key, current draw would be low enough to leave it running for several days.

The composite video out is promising for in car use - the same as reversing cameras. I'd be surprised if there isn't a sound workaround - you have on board lan; wifi & bluetooth support is very likely and I don't see why one of the GPIO pins couldn't send spdif.

You can get basic a graphic display out of arduino, the likes of raspberry pi offer the opportunity to build and run a GUI with html, flash, java.

How can you get spdif to your speakers?

#43 mattbeddow

mattbeddow

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

no idea, and if you could, the chances of a kludged together thing sounding better than onboard audio are slime

#44 A362 TTU

A362 TTU

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

Samsung do a fantastic looking display that can be had for £100 - would sit well in the middle of your dash - and it also has a resistive touch screen (it is possible to go capacitive but usability in the sun may be reduced (shiny screen) and it costs more).

Most of all it has HDMI so a RasPi could be used

http://item.mobilewe...nid=04017461509

#45 gerits

gerits

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

For the people that want an easy solution, today this was announced:
http://www.engadget....ainment-system/

0 user(s) are reading this topic