45 replies to this topic

#16 gerits

gerits

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

I had about the same idea for my dashboard, the only difference is that I've never worked with arduino... A few different items I'll be doing is keep my dashboard original and build a hidden docking system for my android phone...

I have a few questions for you though:
- How is the process going, any updates?
- How are you going to play music? Are you going to plugin a audio cable or do you have a separate radio?

I had the plan to use the Google Android ADK (Accessory Development Kit), so I can plug in my android phone via USB and get my info from the car through here and play my music via the USB cable (don't know yet if that's possible..)

Greetings
Ruben

#17 RobWill116

RobWill116

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Any updates?

#18 Rocan

Rocan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

yeah, any updates? this is very cool. Curious how you will get the gauges to hook up quickly; seems it might be a pain getting the arduino to sync up with the device right away.

Also, what are you doing as far as amplification?

#19 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

I missed this topic, it's worthy of a bump.

Hall effect speedo drivers have been discussed before on TMF. People have stuck magnets to pot joints and mounted them through rear brake back plates. There are some cable options too Terratrip produce adapters that run in line with the mechanical cable. I used one of these by making an adapter with the alloy threaded collar off an old cable.

#20 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Instead of the speedo cable i will use a hall effect sensor some where on the output side of the gear box. Not quite sure yet though. For RPM i will use a clip on RPM sensor over one of the spark cords. I'm still busy figuring out the logistics but hopefully i can make it simple and reliable

convention is to put it into the rear brake hub assembly. However on the pot joints would do just fine.

#21 chrisdeakin

chrisdeakin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

For 50 - 70 pounds depending on what you want to spend you can fit a reversing camera and screen that turns on when you start to reverse from maplins.co.uk

#22 jeebz

jeebz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Interested in doing this too. Was speculating even using a small pc or laptop and wiri.g up to a screen in the dash.

#23 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Probably worth mentioning RaspberryPi if people are looking at including computers.

#24 gerits

gerits

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Probably worth mentioning RaspberryPi if people are looking at including computers.

To create something usefull you need something like the via vab800 ( http://www.viaembedd...-800_Board.html). With some decent speed and sufficient io ports.

Raspberry pi is crap, don't expect to much from a 25$ device.

#25 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

utter crap. Have you even used one? I have one and its brilliant, lots of things you can do with it. For £25 its pretty amazing to be honest.

#26 gerits

gerits

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

utter crap. Have you even used one? I have one and its brilliant, lots of things you can do with it. For £25 its pretty amazing to be honest.

Well no, it's not crap. But it's crap to put in a car. It's a fun toy, but not enough for a decent audio system.

Edited by gerits, 07 August 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#27 mattbeddow

mattbeddow

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Well no, it's not crap. But it's crap to put in a car. It's a fun toy, but not enough for a decent audio system.

I think its awesome!! ive got mine running XBMC and it works great, full hd and 5.1 surround sound! more than enough for an in car pc.
Ive seen a few places mention a Pi based in-car pc, ill see if i can find a completed one

#28 mattbeddow

mattbeddow

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hmm, can find one where someone has actually stuck it in their car yet, but xmbc with one of those tv head units would work fine

#29 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

Xbmc/Raspbmc is a great source 'system' but the Rashberry Pi hardware has some problems as an audio source. My understanding is that no matter what you do the audio output via the 3.5mm jack has a base level of distortion. And it's worst in the higher frequencies which is worst!

The audio output from the HDMI is a lot better but that will be a pain to convert in to a usable format.

XBMC on a jail broken Gen 1 Apple TV FTW.

#30 gerits

gerits

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

The via vab800 is really designed to be used in cars (only it's not for sale, and might never be for sale to end users). It has proper audio, connection for up to 2 displays and has sufficient in/output options to connect eg. fuel meter, speedo, oilpressure, engine temperature,... That's a kind of device you should be looking at if you want to do it the right way. The hardest part is getting your hands on such a device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users