Photo

Tmf Facebook Group, Should For Sale/wanted Ads Be Removed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Tmf Facebook Group, Should For Sale/wanted Ads Be Removed? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the for/sale wanted ads be removed from facebook? Ads from the TMF forum can be linked.

1. Yes (53 votes [67.09%])

Percentage of vote: 67.09%

2. No (21 votes [26.58%])

Percentage of vote: 26.58%

3. I don't use facebook. (5 votes [6.33%])

Percentage of vote: 6.33%

Vote

#46 MiniFTW

MiniFTW

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

I cant even find theminiforum on facebook so id rather just come straight on here haha :lol:

#47 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

To get more punters!!

Facebook is a brilliant tool for advertising yourself and attracting new members, if you use it right it can really put bums on seats.

You can set up events and invite people to them(digitally), this drums up more support.

Yeah, for businesses, but for a forum?

Search engine use for someone needing tecgi advice/wanting to join a mini club leads to TMF.

FB use leads MouseHunt, Farmville & gawd knows what else other irrelevant time & bandwith-wasting palava.

I don't see the point, weally. :huh: Using a social network to advertise a social network just seems like exponential nonsense. Like a snake trying to eat its own tail.

#48 Bec

Bec

Crazy About Mini's

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

As I said before it has been used previously when the forums are down to keep people updated with what's going on, for a short while we had to redirect tmf to it to let them know what was going on. It's also used quite a lot when people have problems registering to contact us easily.

#49 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

i dont really use facebook that often but the tmf site is to full of ads, any punter going on for a look isnt really going to see what most people do, they will just see for sale and wanted ads and get bored, if its kept free of ads then people will just see all the projects and nice shiny cars along with pics of shows etc and it would be alot better advertisement for tmf and the mini scene in general :-)

and as for whats the point in being on a social networking site to advertise another social networking site, i think its because it may be that facebook has a couple more users than tmf and for each person thats 'likes' the tmf page on facebook it goes on their wall and all their friends can see it and go on especially if they have a mini or just have an interest :-)

#50 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

Didnt even know there was a Facebook page! Just asked to join :lol: But I can see how it would be annoying to have constant adverts there, surely its more about getting to know TMF users better, or for for abit of random chat, like the rest of Facebook? Keep the ads in the forum I say ;)

#51 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Well if FB is being used as a backup TMF & carries the endorsement of TMF, then the same controls for buying & selling should really be applied.

Can anybody join the group & then post an ad? If so, a whoooole can o' worms could be spilled everywhere. It's in the Mods' and Admins' interests to restrict trade on a TMF-endorsed page. It only takes one dodgy deal from a non-TMF member to spoil it for the rest of you.

#52 benmellors

benmellors

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

I think it should be kept the same!
I've been a tmf member for over two years now and I havnt reached 150 posts as there's more knowledgeable contributers out there. Last year I paid £10 to be a tmf+ member and that has now expired and I refuse to pay a additional £5 just to sell. So I'm going to keep on using fb if I want to! Unless an admin removes my block since I've already paid £10. What I want to kno is what happens with this fee as I thought invision was a free forum so who gets the money and for what purpose? I'm Not paying £15 just to line someones pockets!

#53 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

@benmellors
running a website as big as this isnt free, any money contributed through people joining tmf+ will help fund this site so people can continue to have somewhere to ask questions and learn about our beloved wee cars for free :-) tmf+ also comes with some nice discounts with many part suppliers, i need to sign up again for it but last year i bought 1 order from minispares and saved more on it than the tmf+ cost for a year and it comes with alot of wee perks aswell :-)

its a no brainer in my opinion

Edited by Mini Mad Drakeley, 08 March 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#54 Bec

Bec

Crazy About Mini's

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Running TMF most certainly isn't free! Server costs alone are high for such a big forum and TMF+ is used to cover the cost of these plus the stand equipment we've previously purchased and are buying again in a few months; it paid for the IPB upgrade and this requires payment for renewal every four months - each 'add-on' we use we also pay for. When it can cover the costs TMF+ pays for spaces on the clubstands so members can be on there for free and also the stickers we've given out at shows or for forum competitions and the postage. To suggest it's lining someones pockets is disgusting for all the hours we voluntarily put into this place in our own time when we've got busy lives; I suggest you do some background research - the reason you can post your insult without paying to be a TMF+ member is because other people have decided to pay for TMF+ to help us keep running.

Anyway before I blow a fuse, facebook group, it looks like people want the adverts removed and for the attitude I've just seen I can't blame them.

#55 2-alex-2

2-alex-2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Local Club: SouthWalesMini club

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

dont knwo if its already been saidas i didnt want to read the hole thread but could it be an idea to make anotehr TMF group but only for sale/ wanted iteam and any posted on the main one deleted

#56 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

I deleted my facebook a few weeks ago, due to the garbage which people post on there. When I was on there, I would rarely go on the TMF page as it was clogged with for sale and wanted adds. Which I think, should be outlawed or at least, added to another section, be it in a album, or another page.

#57 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

there is barely anything on that page but wanted and for sale advert. It's actually ridiculous

#58 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

And it actually makes a mockery of all of the TMF+ and 150+ piston count members who have earned the right to use tmf's classified section.

Ban selling and wanted adverts on the page. Definitely.

#59 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Just one in twelve posts are not wanted/sale adds..

Ridiculous if you ask me, especially seeing as we've got an amazing forum here with a great classifieds section.

#60 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

I vote to lose the ads. I don't often bother checking the TMF page as it's typically something for sale and I'd rather not trade away from TMF where individuals need to meet the sales criteria.

The idea for posting links to adverts already on here seems even worse. At least before it had some photos, with that it becomes a line of IPB logos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users