76 replies to this topic

#1 zeroasylum

zeroasylum

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

For the 4th time in about 8 months now I have had all the fuel siphoned out of my mini. That is annoying me. What is more annoying is the thieves who are clearly targeting the car (I live in north London and have no option but street parking) Keep taking the lockable petrol cap with them which means I end up spending another £10 pounds on one. No I know them taking the fuel is better than me fitting an anti-siphon device and them cutting the fuel hose or scratching up the car but is there any way I can get my car alarm to go off if for example the petrol cap is removed via a switch eg magnetic or some method or from the tank sender unit sensing a drop in tank level. Any advice welcome

Thanks

Zeroasylum

#2 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

ive looked into this as its happened to me a couple times.

your best bet is to relocate the filler neck to inside the boot.

i had a quote for £100 to modify the petrol tank so you could only access it by opening the boot.

#3 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

try and make a small alram yourself!,
im sure local electrictions will help,
i would think it wouldnt be too hard?
make a simple circuit, try and get your hands on a switch which works via a magnet or such link that to the battery via a proper feed get a big massive horn so when it goes off it scares them and wakes you up and other people,
thats what i would do.

#4 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Or if you park it in your street (outside your house?) fit a cctv camera, and put a note your mini saying there being watched. You can get cheap cctv from maplin, worth a thought maybe?

#5 JonnyBMX

JonnyBMX

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Local Club: Rebels

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

you could maybe use a small LDR (Light dependant Resistor which you could wire up so as the light hits the device it would cause it to change its level of resistance to low allowing current to flow through... not sure if this would be a viable option though

#6 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

you could maybe use a small LDR (Light dependant Resistor which you could wire up so as the light hits the device it would cause it to change its level of resistance to low allowing current to flow through... not sure if this would be a viable option though

And if it's dark? :P

#7 zeroasylum

zeroasylum

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

try and make a small alram yourself!,
im sure local electrictions will help,
i would think it wouldnt be too hard?
make a simple circuit, try and get your hands on a switch which works via a magnet or such link that to the battery via a proper feed get a big massive horn so when it goes off it scares them and wakes you up and other people,
thats what i would do.

Was thinking about this. I do have a microwave proximity sensor attached to the alarm but have it set so it only works when really close to the car as it kept going off with other passing cars. Maybe will have to adjust it to extend the field of the sensor. Do you think it would be possible to get a magnetic switch to trigger an imput on the alarm system in the same way a push pin bonnet switch does.

Thanks

Zeroasylum

#8 zeroasylum

zeroasylum

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

ive looked into this as its happened to me a couple times.

your best bet is to relocate the filler neck to inside the boot.

i had a quote for £100 to modify the petrol tank so you could only access it by opening the boot.

Again a good Idea unless they cut the fuelpipe but dont think they are that smart. But would petrol fumes not enter the car as a result of the opening in the boot. I not sure how well the caps seal. Also how does insurance view this mod.

Thanks

Zeroasylum

#9 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

You should have a fuel pipe vent going out the floor of the boot anyway so fumes shouldnt be a problem.

#10 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Just spend a months spying on your mini and if you see them have a baseball bat ready.... and yer I'm sure you can make an alarm I have little button lilhr things in the boot and under the bonnet and if you open either while the alarm is set they pop up and set the alarm off so would be a case of fitting a smaller one under the fuel cap I guess

Stupid question but do you buy lockable fuel caps?

Edited by se_juggles, 13 March 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#11 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

Just spend a months spying on your mini and if you see them have a baseball bat ready.... and yer I'm sure you can make an alarm I have little button lilhr things in the boot and under the bonnet and if you open either while the alarm is set they pop up and set the alarm off so would be a case of fitting a smaller one under the fuel cap I guess

I wondered that... How do thieves get into a locked one, do they drill it?

#12 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

I wondered that... How do thieves get into a locked one, do they drill it?

they are a bit springey so i guess they get something under the cap and use a hammer or something

#13 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

How about an alarm that goes off when the fuel sender drops below a certain level, it will deter theifs and will tell you when your running low as mini fuel gauges arnt that reliable anyway

YetI

#14 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

They're not exactly 'strong'.

my locking cap's been taken before I've even started driving :lol: ...They didn't take any fuel though?!

#15 Nikral

Nikral

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

This is an invention waiting to happen, obviously there is a demand among the classic car owners ( whatever make) to stop thieves sucking the petrol out of your car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users