76 replies to this topic

#16 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

This is an invention waiting to happen, obviously there is a demand among the classic car owners ( whatever make) to stop thieves sucking the petrol out of your car.

my invetion is a sticker saying "im watching you with my baseball bat"

#17 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Shock sensor? My alarm would go off if someone gave the filler cap a thump.

#18 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Shock sensor? My alarm would go off if someone gave the filler cap a thump.

same my car alarm goes off when th wind changes....

wouldnt suprise me if it decided to give me a little shout while on the motorway

#19 zeroasylum

zeroasylum

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Just spend a months spying on your mini and if you see them have a baseball bat ready.... and yer I'm sure you can make an alarm I have little button lilhr things in the boot and under the bonnet and if you open either while the alarm is set they pop up and set the alarm off so would be a case of fitting a smaller one under the fuel cap I guess

Stupid question but do you buy lockable fuel caps?

I wondered that... How do thieves get into a locked one, do they drill it?

They seem to be forcing it off some how. Funny thing is there is never any damage to the car. I am using lockable fuel caps but as mentioned not much holds them on.
There is definately a market for a sensor for the classic petrol cap. What is annoying is my mate photographed another mini a few streets away whith its cap gone as well so thin they definately targeting classic. Oh to own a garage :( but in London that cost more than a flat.

Zeroasylum

#20 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

how bout retro fitting those old land rover lockable filler caps, the ones that take a padlock :D

#21 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Wire the petrol cap up to a large tractor battery.....Electric shock therapy

:proud:

Edited by MaxAndPaddy, 13 March 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#22 zeroasylum

zeroasylum

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

I wish looking into the reed switch trigger think just need one small enough toepoxy it on to the nexk of the tank and magnet on cap to trigger it if removed. Pretty simple but think the alarm going off will deter them :)

#23 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Get a race type fuel tank and fit it inside the boot connected to the normal pipes - they simply aren't that expensive.

Bung the pipes on the existing fuel tank and fill it with something else for a couple of months. Water is the obvious and easy one that springs to mind but maybe there are some more inventive things that would teach the scum a lesson?

Iain

#24 chrisandsarah

chrisandsarah

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Probably end up having your car trashed. If you recocate it in the boot they will bust the boot lock. Takes little more than a hard yank to open the boot without a key...

An alarm is a better bet. Or add a smalller tank in the boot and leave the main tank empty
Put a standard non locking cap on there with a bit of chain holsing it on. They will probly try your car a few times and give up.

If they arent nicking your trim they nick your car, or your petrol *sigh*

#25 oliver122

oliver122

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

dont use your mini for a couple of weeks , plug your fuel line from the tank then put some sugar in your fuel then have a chuckle to yourself when the take the sugary fuel :thumbsup:

doh just read ibrooks's comment :L

Edited by oliver122, 14 March 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#26 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Surely abit dodgy in case of any sparks?

#27 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

How about an alarm that goes off when the fuel sender drops below a certain level, it will deter theifs and will tell you when your running low as mini fuel gauges arnt that reliable anyway

YetI

nobody likes my ideas :ohno: im going to go and cry now!!!!! :unsure: :ermm: :( :cry:

#28 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

How about an alarm that goes off when the fuel sender drops below a certain level, it will deter theifs and will tell you when your running low as mini fuel gauges arnt that reliable anyway

YetI

nobody likes my ideas :ohno: im going to go and cry now!!!!! :unsure: :ermm: :( :cry:

Its a very good idea....now go sit down and keep quiet

:rolleyes:

#29 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I wish looking into the reed switch trigger think just need one small enough toepoxy it on to the nexk of the tank and magnet on cap to trigger it if removed. Pretty simple but think the alarm going off will deter them :)

Glue and a powerful solvent like petrol - not a great combination.

Magnetic switches aren't good around metal either. The magnet will be in place 90% of the time and the metal will be under fairly regular vibration - result equals magnetised metal. After a few days I'd imagine removing the fuel cap won't release the reed switch as the metal around it will have enough of a field to hold it closed.

I'm not against the principle of the idea but a magnetic reed switch glued in or around the filler neck is not the way to do it.

Sugar does naff all to a petrol engine until you've got so much that it doesn't dissolve any longer and then it's just like sand bunging jets/injectors/whatever. Sugar is proper flammable so it'll quite happily burn when dissolved in petrol. Some silver sand would be easier as it would take less to achieve the same effect but still be almost invisible once it's in suspension in the tank.

Silicone sealant might be a better bet - it goes like slightly runny jelly when exposed to petrol. I have heard it described as gorilla snot but I've never had much to do with the nasal emissions of a gorilla so couldn't make that comparison myself.

Iain

Edited by ibrooks, 15 March 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#30 Spiffingly Good

Spiffingly Good

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

YetI

That's a great idea.......

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/102533-fuel-tank-alarm/

Great minds huh:-)

I then made something similar

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/188551-my-new-fuel-gauge/page__fromsearch__1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users