76 replies to this topic

#31 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

They will probably just have a bunch of Mini petrol cap keys and try them until one fits, there aren't that many different combinations you know!!

I would fit a 2nd tank in the boot but leave the original tank and cap fitted but with no fuel in!! That way they will just think you havent filled the tank or just run it really low and eventually stop trying!

#32 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

I don't think your average fuel thief will be that sophisticated, (though if they happen to have some old keys kicking about...); brute force is the most likely tactic, and you could just incur more damage by making it harder for them. To my mind the best deterrent would be a means of triggering an alarm before the cap is forced.

#33 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Carrying a bunch of old Mini fuel caps keys is sophisticated?! Now i know where I am going wrong in life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#34 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

You can just replace the tank with a miglia style one, then replace the filler neck with a fake one.
That wouldnt sort the problem ihmo, because once they target your car, the day they'll have the surprise they can reply with vandalic acts.. :(

#35 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Having the presence of mind to collect them and then go looking for Minis is. I expect most will just pick on the easiest target armed with a bit screwdriver, hammer, Stanley knife...

#36 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I would say they have to be even more sophisticated to remove several caps without damaging anything!!

#37 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

If we're reviving this, I was wondering if you could use the capacitor to store the peaks from the sender and discharge to fill in the troughs. I guess you'd need it in a voltage divider with the gauge. Maybe, split the resistance of your existing divider and sit it in the middle???

#38 joshspragg

joshspragg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Local Club: M4 minis

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

if i didnt have school or work the next day i'd hang out by the window all night, bring an ipod or a book to keep you company and try and wait for something.

or just fit a cctv because then you can catch anyone who decides to touch your car.

#39 joshspragg

joshspragg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Local Club: M4 minis

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

or like others were saying. use a racing tank thing in the boot and keep your old tank in the same place so next time they go to take fuel just leave abit of water or keep it empty so they dont get anything. once they get the idea that they are wasting their time they wont do it again.

#40 Doodling

Doodling

Formally known as phil.lingard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

My fuel tank filler is now in the boot.

This should stop them.

Just have the problem of the fuel line underneath.

#41 chrisandsarah

chrisandsarah

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

This should stop them.

Problem is - it really doesn't take much effort to bust a boot door

#42 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

This should stop them.

Problem is - it really doesn't take much effort to bust a boot door

haha he thinks hes safe then walks out the next morning to find they just busted his boot open and robbed the whole tank instead

#43 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

It's like anything, if they really want it they will get it, you just have to make it as difficult as possible for them so they go elsewhere

#44 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

That's the simple truth, Minis are at risk because they are perceived as easy targets. The more we do collectively to improve security on our cars, the better for every Mini.

#45 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

ideally you would need a modern style of fuel filler cap. something that screws into the next opposed to one thats clamped on. Someone tried to get into mine (and failed) because my cap was an all metal construction (no plastic lugs). unfortunately they ended up bending the neck lips/lugs.

as said before, you move the tank into the boot and they will break into the boot (happened to me as well), though you could create an internal release system and remove the handle.

As with any security system, its either a deterrent or a time delay. if the alarm is going off and they are still struggling to get the cap off or boot open, it may give you enough time to get out there (with a baseball bat....)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users