#62 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Well I wasnt planning on doing much to the car this weekend but boredom soon took over so managed to get the engine in ^_^

Got the engine mounts through from The Stig off TMF but then didnt have the fricken nuts for the studs :angry: so a walk to the scrap yard this morning resulted in finding some good nuts from a civic.

Posted Image

Then needed to get a crane....luckily a guy who lives two doors up from me had one, got talking to him and turns out he is trying to fit a Audi 4.2L V8 into a MR2 :mrcool:

So set about lifting the engine into the car, unfortunitly he only had chains so out came the bubble wrap!! Quite handy as it gave the familiar popping sound as the crane took the weight

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gearbox side got lowered first

Posted Image

Started lowering it in, odd bits needed some trimming and others needed some gentle, persuading words :angel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gave the old exhaust heat shield and quick spray of paint to make it look half decent, gonna use the old manifold to get the car going probibly then get a custom one done properly ;D

Posted Image

Back on its wheels and found some camber

Posted Image

Also got the inlet bolted on to check my bulkhead mod, bloody thing still needs welded in, should get done this week

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Final photo of the day

Posted Image

Sorry for the pic heavy but im over the moon its in, massive confidence boost

Tomorrow shall bring the engine being removed to sort out a couple of niggles and will sort the gear linkage.

Kieran

#63 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

Good work mate, looks like one hell of a productive day. Can't wait to see what's next.

#64 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

Cheers Rhys, it was indeed. Been a while since i've done a lot to this car. If i could weld the engine would be in to stay >_<

Hopefully an update will appear tonight :)

#65 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Well today went well........ :(

Jacked the car up again to start on the gear linkage. just measuring and cutting today, ive finally decided when i get back from scotland im going to treat myself to a welder and teach myself/get a few tips from the guy who did the bulkhead box.

Posted Image

But when i was sorting the linkage arm i stupidly put the pin in and got it stuck :ohno: so after various attempts to get it out I tried drilling it, which broke!

so the linkage aint coming off anytime soon

Posted Image

But nevermind, its all measured up and cut so shall weld it up when i get a chance. The engine can still be lowered and taken out with the linkage attached

then out came the engine again, PULL!!

Posted Image

That is all for now, next job is getting the box done, fingers crossed itll get done wednesday. watch this space!!

Kieran

Edited by KieranB, 26 August 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#66 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

Your right - when you see the engine dropped in for the first time its a boost!!!

I can see shadow between your inlet and bulkhead.....close eh? :lol: just make sure your heater matrix (if still using in its original place) fits ok, probably will be close to the bulkhead box. And make sure your dash dials/or radio fits fine in the centre, again it might be close to the box

For your linkage thats a bummer, when your mocking up just use a suitable nut and bolt, its called a biaatch pin for a reason

I know you've drilled away at it but aslong as you haven't drilled any part of the linkage hole then you should be able to punch it out with one of these

Posted Image

I use a 5/16 short drift as its all I got here but it fits sweet and being short means you can get a good swing under the car.....

Coat it up aswell before you punch it back in

Posted Image

Always comes out (if needed) much much easier then

Keep at it and chin up, your getting alot done now!

#67 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

Ah sounds like a plan Kam, I shall give that a shot when i next crane the engine up so i get more clearance.

Cheers for the heads up, ill need to get everything checked for clearance now, it is a fairly decent sized box, kinda nicked your mk 2 version with the bent back plate :whistling: but your right it is a bit tight in there. Got clearances all round the bay though (so far).

In other news..........Got the bulkhead box fiiiiiiiiinally welded in today :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wont be getting anything done on the car for a couple of weeks now due to scotland trip but next on the cards is get everything painted and get the engine back in again

Kieran

Edited by KieranB, 30 August 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#68 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

Looks like a top job so far, I will keep an eye on this as I have just started my Mini Mayfair Vtec Adventure and will need as much help from this site with the Allspeed kit as possible!!!

#69 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:36 AM

Looks like a top job so far, I will keep an eye on this as I have just started my Mini Mayfair Vtec Adventure and will need as much help from this site with the Allspeed kit as possible!!!

Cheers bud, I was in the same position as yourself, i had no idea. I'd like to think im more confident now. Just keep reading up on the projects on here. The guys who have done the conversions on here are a massive help.
Look forward to seeing your build soon

Kieran

#70 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Looking good!! Make sure you get some paint or red oxide on those welds or they will be rusty in no time!!

#71 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

Looking good!! Make sure you get some paint or red oxide on those welds or they will be rusty in no time!!

Thats the plan, gonna get some zinc primer and black paint. But like i say, thatll be in a couple of weeks

#72 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

Well I return and got straight down to working on the mini,

Got the subframe off and cleaned up the front of the bulkhead ready for paint

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then got some zinc primer and satin black paint. Only got one coat done tonight, second coat will get done tomorrow night

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I was up north i got some bits and bobs from the honda breaker in perth, Craig. Got some driveshafts, didnt realise i needed certain spline numbers (32 inner i think) until i met up with Jamie who told me about the allspeed driveshafts made to 32 spline spec.

Anyways just split the driveshafts this evening and turns out ive got myself 32 spline shafts, thus giving me the correct inner cv's. I say all this then i'll buy the allspeed driveshafts and they will end up not fitting.....But ill give it a go :)

Thats all for this evening :thumbsup:

Kieran

#73 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Just incase you couldnt find them...

Vtec to allspeed hd cv 32t to 25t. 267mm and 267mm
Vtec to mini cv 32t to 19t. 287mm and 287mm

#74 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

ye seen that on the website, so much win!! :D

Ill buy yours off you if you end up not using them

#75 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Could be an option - If I cant find any cv's in the next couple of weeks, I'll be on to you! :) Did you get my text by the way? Think you left a jacket here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users