236 replies to this topic

#151 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Mine came with the cobra classics, which I love, and I've just put GT stuff around them and it kind of fits. Finding a rear bench was a hassle and cost a small fortune! The door cards are newton, and are amazing.

It's getting ridiculous! But supply and demand I suppose, I managed to source a complete Navy Interior a few years ago for my next project, along with all the hard to find GT trinkets, and a good job I did! The steering wheel price I can understand, but the center badge is ridiculous.

I've always gone on the principal a sound-system is pointless in a mini, and as no-one has yet to cut holes in my parcel shelf it'll stay that way! 

Yeah - I hear what your saying.  My parcel shelf has 2 holes cut in the steel but I made a black vinyl replacement shelf cover to hide them.

The 8-track will probably go in for show, maybe with a couple of discrete speakers in the front or under the rear seat. Let's face it I'm gonna be limited to what I can listen to on it anyway.......!  :)

#152 craig-721

craig-721

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

very nice work looks great

#153 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

very nice work looks great

Cheers dude!

Couple of quick updates - I've decided to write a "to-do" list to start checking stuff off.  Reason? - I laid the car up for a few weeks and decided to take her for a spin last week on a sunny day and I'd forgotten all the little niggly things that were wrong.  If I make a list - at least I can use it as a memory jogger.

Anyways - on that list is to fix the dash lights as the only dial I had illuminated was the speedo.  My car was suffering with the crusty old cracked PCB that afflicts older GT clocks and to get the car on the road a few years ago I had "repaired" the PCB using wire/solder & silcone sealant.  Not pretty. And not particularly successful.

So a second hand PCB + some minor repair + some LED replacement bulbs for the dash lights and signal indicators later and the clocks are fixed, fully illuminated & back in the car.

These are the T10 LED bulbs that I bought:  http://ebay.eu/1hgcZc7

newbulbs.jpg

Will upload some illuminated pics later on when it gets dark.

Next thing on the list is to restore the correct heater/blower that I bought on eBay last week.  I plan to strip it down and refurb prior to fitting to the car.  Fan motor works which is good but it sounded awful - mainly because it's taken a bash at some point and the main intake pipe stub is slightly cracked and sitting in the wrong place and is touching the spinning fan.  It's a fibreglass housing so a bit of patching on the inside will fix it.  I only really wanted it to be a bit more period correct.....and I like the look of the silver switch surround.

heaterblower.jpg

Edited by sherly, 06 November 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#154 craig-721

craig-721

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

look forward to see the clocks illuminated

#155 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Here goes: Lurvly bluey tint light - they're sold as white but are quite blue.

maindials.jpg

Here's my other gauges for comparison - before LEDs the clocks were very similar to the orangey glow of the oil press gauge on the left of this pic.  The boost gauge actually looks ok with a std incandescent bulb behind it - I guess because it shines through coloured sections (like the oil press. and alt charge bulbs - which are still incandescent on my dash).  I'm guessing there are probably LED bulbs available for these too.......

smallgauges.jpg

#156 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

I love it! :D !!

#157 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

I love it! :D !!

Haha, cheers...so do I - best £9 I've spent! Just need to go drive it in the dark now...... 

Edited by sherly, 06 November 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#158 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

I love the LED bulbs it's such a nice touch. I've just replaced all of mine with 5W bulbs ended up being nearly £20, otherwise I'd be joining you! 

#159 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

I love the LED bulbs it's such a nice touch. I've just replaced all of mine with 5W bulbs ended up being nearly £20, otherwise I'd be joining you! 

Yeah, it was a bit of a punt to be honest but I love the way they look now.  I don't want to drift away from the 70's look and feel of the car, but if I can improve on little things like this then I think it's well worth making changes away from original equipment.  If you've already got a set of new bulbs then I agree - you may as well get the use out of them!

I hate the fact that when you search for certain items on eBay you end up with soooo much choice that it makes it hard to make a decision.  I decided that £9 was worth the risk for the ones that I bought (and I design stuff using LED technology so have a bit of background info to help the decision making process along).

Edited by sherly, 06 November 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#160 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, it was a bit of a punt to be honest but I love the way they look now.  I don't want to drift away from the 70's look and feel of the car, but if I can improve on little things like this then I think it's well worth making changes away from original equipment.  If you've already got a set of new bulbs then I agree - you may as well get the use out of them!

I hate the fact that when you search for certain items on eBay you end up with soooo much choice that it makes it hard to make a decision.  I decided that £9 was worth the risk for the ones that I bought (and I design stuff using LED technology so have a bit of background info to help the decision making process along).

eBay can be a nightmare when searching for stuff like that.

You've pulled it off nicely though! It's difficult playing with new modifications in a period car, I love the idea of putting some more interior lighting in but as my car is stock inside I think it might look a bit tacky. Especially if I don't do it right!

#161 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

eBay can be a nightmare when searching for stuff like that.

You've pulled it off nicely though! It's difficult playing with new modifications in a period car, I love the idea of putting some more interior lighting in but as my car is stock inside I think it might look a bit tacky. Especially if I don't do it right!

I know what you mean - I've been toying with the idea of some subtle puddle lighting for the footwells but I think it may be a step too far.  Might have a play and see what it looks like.....there's a real danger that doing stuff like this gets quite addictive and you end up with a car that looks like it's crashed into the Halfords styling dept.......

#162 phil hill

phil hill

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

I know what you mean - I've been toying with the idea of some subtle puddle lighting for the footwells but I think it may be a step too far.  Might have a play and see what it looks like.....there's a real danger that doing stuff like this gets quite addictive and you end up with a car that looks like it's crashed into the Halfords styling dept.......

An oxymoron surely ??

Phil.

#163 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

An oxymoron surely ??

Phil.

Hahaha....indeed! My point exactly.  

2 words that should never be seen together....."Halfords" and "Style".

#164 craig-721

craig-721

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

your gauges look very nice, good job

#165 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

your gauges look very nice, good job

Cheers - now popping out to "road-test" them to see what they're actually like whilst driving.....

Next object on the resto hit-list is the 1970 Smiths heater that I've just purchased.  It's different to the heater boxes I'm used to (the pressed metal versions) as this is two fibreglass halves.

Anyway - it's in bits......let the resto begin! 

heaterbits.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users