Photo

Hello Everybody! Just Got My Graduation Present. Can You Guess What It Is? :)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

Our modded 1.3i doesnt really get taken past 70 unless overtaking. I like to cruise at about 65 ish on the motorway, unless someone wants to play . LOL

Nice looking Mini :)

#32 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

70 should be seen as a target.

#33 mymini007

mymini007

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

I have had 85 out of mine (998) but it was screaming it nuts off and was not a particularly pleaseant experience. 70 is ok though

#34 purple_fly06

purple_fly06

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Foresters

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

I dont think that the wheels are standard. they look like a minilite or a replica of one.

theres no reason it shouldnt do 65-70mph for hours on end, just will be louder and a slight twitch of the steering wheel seems 5 x worse at that speed compared to a modern car :lol:

from the pictures of the engine you put up it looks pretty standard, cant tell if it has a non standard exhaust system

have fun!

#35 purple_fly06

purple_fly06

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Foresters

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

its got a MG metro rocker cover. which is from a 1275.

short journeys are generally harsh on engines, make sure its warmed up before you rag it and give it a nice drive out if you can.

Maybe it has a 1275 engine? I'd be thrilled if it did.

How could I tell? Yeah - I'm an utter novice; this is my first car. :)

the engine is yellow though, meaning it is only a 998cc....unless its been re painted.

type the engine number on this site and it will tell you clicky

#36 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

I think we have already managed to determine that it is a 998 ( carb, rad hose etc.) with non standard wheels, overall a lovely example.

Welcome to the mini scene. It's like no other. Oh and general driving 65mph will seem fine.

#37 nafnaforiginal12

nafnaforiginal12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Mini Cruisers

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Nice mini mate, looks immaculate!!

#38 PaddyShepherd

PaddyShepherd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Local Club: BOGMOG

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Very nice mini, love the wheels, welcome to tmf!

#39 station31

station31

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local Club: Caledonian Mini Club

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:19 AM

Gawd thats a lovely wee mini

#40 gwatkins15

gwatkins15

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

Agreed it looks immaculate! You'll soon be learning about classic cars though, but the mini is a simple car so they're always fun to own. Once you get to know the car you'll see what it cruises nicely at, I usually sit at about 65 in my 1275. Just take it easy, respect it and enjoy!

#41 RCBrookey

RCBrookey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hi,

Welcome to TMF :)

Nice looking Mini and looking at that engine pic it is not standard cause its like mine :P

Open air filter shows its got a stage one kit (well part of it may need some more)

Mines same as urs and mine does 75 easy.... thats full of gear and it was broken cause balljoint has worn and cause wheel wobble(may have to do that soon :P)

if you have nothing at bottom then it may just need a tune... not hard really :P

Bit of advice to keep it goin:

1. Get electronic ignition for it
2. Get a massive adio system for it so you can hear it
3. look after it like a baby

Enjoy your mini experience :)

#42 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Looks like you may have a Mini 25th LE interior, looks like grey with red piping, excluding the wood though

heres mine which is a 25 to compare

Posted Image

#43 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Some things to consider about speed claims, firstly the classic mini speedo is notoriously inaccurate and the faster you go the more inaccurate it tends to get. Secondly it always feels like you're going much faster in a classic mini than you actually are, so when you think that you're doing 70mph, the chances are that you probably aren't!

#44 CBW

CBW

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

So I took her on her first long ride today -- London to Cardiff. Bit of a disaster.

She was fine until the toll bridge queue, hitting 60-70 absolutely no prob. On the bridge, however, after sitting for a few minutes developed a HORRIBLE judder when pulling away from stationary and 1st>2nd gear. Put up with it for a short while, but after continually juddering for a few minutes she cut out, and I had to push her to hard shoulder. Called RAC and tried starting her in the mean time (she wouldn't start for a good 30 minutes) but -- sod's law -- by the time he got there she was starting up again. He looked at the engine and said it looked/sounded fine! I managed to drive it the remainder of the way but it is still juddering HORRIBLY when I accelerate in 1st/2nd, I'm cringing every time I pull away at a set of lights! Not good...

I have no idea why, all I can think is there might be sediment in the petrol tank from sitting for years. This is the first major run she's had i a long time. The clutch is new as far as I know - and there's only around 9000 on the clock.

Edited by CBW, 24 June 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#45 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

Welcome to Mini ownership CBW!!!!

This car looks (and sounds) like a real gem with only 9k on the clock, please look after her :proud:
After sitting about for so long, I would remove the carb float chamber, remove all the sediment and ensure the float needle-valve is functioning correctly, now would be a good time to install an inline fuel filter, I usually put them right after the tank, in the rubber hose. Like you say, removing the tank and giving it a good flush/ shake out is an excellent idea.
After you have done all that, renew the points, cap, rotor and spark plugs and you'll have a reliable runner :) None of the above is difficult or particularly time consuming.

The City 'E' is great as an everyday driver because it has the 2.95:1 fd, which gives relaxed cruising at higher speeds and much improved economy; if you look at the performance figures, it is barely any slower than the similar cars with a 3.44:1 diff, even though they do bog down just a little when pulling away...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users