#46 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

no pictures yet but got the engine in the frame and happy where its sits water pump pully is so close to the tower! got some mods to do to the subframe though the curved under bars will be repalced with straight ones at right angles to give more clearance for the sump and also to improve strangth as the towers are going to be choped out more to allow for the drive shafts, need to order some sheet metal and make these mounts!, also got steering rack and steering colunm (cheers minijosh92!) to go in it so all full steam ahead!

#47 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

The waterpump seems to be the limitation for getting the motor further back along with clearance on the steering rack.

Your subframe still seems to have a bit of the wings left on, doesn't that give you clearance issues to the back of the gearbox and sump?
Mine I kind of folded them across the tower and we seam welded them up, even then the clearance to the sump and gearbox isn't huge.

I had something like the same issue with the under bars, one of my bars runs under the gearbox, the other goes through the gap between the sump and gearbox so I don't loose ground clearance, it also means those front bars don't have to come up as steeply. The reason I say is I was afraid of gouging the subframe bar into the ground so tried to angle it less steeply (more like ski's or skids), but mine also forms the basis for what will be my sumpguard.

#48 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

the engine sits ok even with the wings so clearance isent a massive problem there, will find out for sure when the subframe is bolted into the car, did have to cut off around 2cm of metal pipe that sticks out by the water pump what isent a problem as i can ethier blank it or re route it somewhere else, i think my engine will be mountd higher than alot of peoples due to the fact im using the micra engine mounts and also i need it high enougth for the webers to clear the cross member so i can get aeway with the least amount of curve in th manifold as possible! need to get hold of some 6mm sheet and get the engine mounted i will take alot of pictures of where my engine sits so people can take referance.

as for ground clearance the lowest part of a mini is the sump i belive so im not too worried im going to make a sump guard out of sheet metal so shouldent be too bad who knows i may eat my words i wont no these thing till i try it!

Edited by lucas1amps, 10 December 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#49 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

any one got any decent pics of the towers and drive shaft postions looks like im going to have to chop away the bottom of the towers quite alot to allow for the drive shafts what did you gus do to strengthen it box section or plate? any advice would be appriciated not going to lie skint atm so struggaling to keep the project going at this moment in time student finace cant come soon enougth! for know il have to just put in more hours at Mcdonalds.....yay cant wait =(

#50 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Sorry, no pics, but on mine the towers were cut just under where the top suspension arm sits. then i reinforced it with 3mm plate under the top arm. I was already thinking this when you said in an earlier post that you wanted to mount the engine higher than most others. mine is about as high as it gets with the standard suspension setup.

#51 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

With mine it's as high as I can get it without cutting away the rear subframe legs where the gear selector is.

#52 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

cheers for the comments guys i agree the gear selector is the one thing stoping me from mounting it higher but i dont want to chop out the winglets at the back! and thanks for the advice mininissan i shall keep on researching and come up with some sort of solution as for the manifold looks like its going to be s shaped rather than straight but then again longer intake runners are better for torque anyway! plenty of calcs to do!

#53 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

wondering if anyone can help me has anyone got any measurements and photos of the clearance between the inlet and he bulk head struggaling to picture a) what the manifold rougthly going to look like and b) what clearance have i got, i know this will vary from car to car but just to give me a rougth idea s i can start designing something? cheers luke

Edited by lucas1amps, 16 December 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#54 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Here's Flying Banana's

#55 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Not sure if it helps but here's the only pic I can find

Posted Image

Ignore the cut up bulkhead it's from the old shell we use to mock up frames etc

#56 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

cheers guys i know roughly what i got to play with now in short not alot! going to cut along the bottom of the bulk head where the center speedo sits and push it back and reweld it give me some more room!

#57 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

I think the master cylinders will be the biggest problem. There's not much room, it will be hard to get some Webbers in that space with a decent manifold.

#58 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

im going for a allspeed or ODP pedal box so mount all that inside the car =]

#59 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

OBP is definitely one to avoid from what i have read.

Best options are the allspeed or if you can stretch to a mini-tec one they are lovely. http://www.superfast...ACEPEDALKIT.htm

Or a wilwood one from one of the links 'blue blood' put in my topic here, but these would need some fabrication. http://www.theminifo...s/page__st__270

Looking good by the way!

Edited by jonny f, 21 December 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#60 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

cheers jonny! will be taking a look at them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users