47 replies to this topic

#46 mini_ron

mini_ron

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:57 PM

yer i had a look at the old stud, and the others, they look like the guy who had it previously had damaged the threads, when it got hot it just snapped as i was doing it up.

thanks tho GSMS

#47 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

i snapped mine thro using the Big_Adam press set to fat bloke level. seems it was a bit too much for the stud.

#48 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

This thread has become one long list of scary pseudo engineering and dodgy bodgery that has me worried to be on the same streets as you people! ;D

MiniRon, do you have a good torque wench and the correct socket for the hub nut? You must re-torque the hub nut following the correct procedure or your wheelbearing could fail early. This means torqueing it once with a special, thick extra strong washer fitted in place of the split washer. Then taking it off again and finally torqueing it with the split taper washer fitted before re-tightening further until you can get the split pin through. It's in Haynes.

Adam, the 'rubber thing' keeping the bearings in the hub is the grease seal which keeps the grease in the bearing and the water out. If you damage it at all in removing it you will need to get a new one which probably means a whole new wheelbearing kit as I don't think they come individually. If you re-fit one that's damaged your wheelbearing will fail. When re-greasing the bearing, don't pack it completely solid. It needs a little air space in it for the grease to expand when it gets hot at road speed but don't leave too much space either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users