so diffrent nuts or same nuts??

#17 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

Are you using wheel trims, if you are not the nuts won't matter too much because the longer ones only hold the trim on.

#18 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:18 PM

well. got 3 others to hold the trim on and i don't mind it not being there so much so if it falls off then its no problem for me.

#19 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

great minds think alike :dontgetit:

#20 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

Definately a 10" nut that one, its round where it faces the wheel, would have a 60 degree angle, rather than that radius

#21 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

now i only have 1 problem,

WERE THE FUDGE IS MY WALLET!

edit.

under the monitor i'm looking at. d'oh

#22 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

Where did you last have it?

#23 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

Theres some people that will say do not use any grease! Since it could allow the nuts to come loose again and will alter the setting it should be torqued to.

Common wives tale :ermm:*

grease the shoulder of the nut (not thread of bolt) use copper grease and apply sparingly.

it stops the nut face siezing to the recess on the wheel, the torque against the wheel will not be affected. :dontgetit:

Where did you last have it?

classic :ph34r:

#24 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

apply pleanty of grease to stop them ceasing up

As nick said never apply grease / neversieze / copper slip to threaded portions of nuts and bolts they should only be applied to the shouldered portions other wise you will over torque the nut/bolt, Only oil can be applied to the threaded portion and this should be enough to stop it siezing, I've had quite a few wheel nuts sieze on me and they were coated in copper slip!!!

#25 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

When I changed my rear wheel studs, the old one's were slightly too long to just "tap out the back". In the end I took off half the drum assembly, and then hammered in the new studs using a vice grip. Then just put everything back together and off I went!

Guy.

#26 mini1976

mini1976

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

Is it a front or rear stud you have snapped. I have one snapped on my rear drum and have done for about 6 months I have throwm it arround corners towed with it like that, just driven as if i had all 4. I have a new stud just not got round to fitting it. However, If its on the front i would fit asap as there must be extra loads on those wheels what with accelerating and braking.

Just a thought if your really skint as if its a read one then there is probably no rush. I know someone who has only 3 studs on a nissan primeria and it has passed countless mot's etc like that and never caused any problems

#27 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

Just a thought if your really skint as if its a read one then there is probably no rush. I know someone who has only 3 studs on a nissan primeria and it has passed countless mot's etc like that and never caused any problems

There are 4 of them for a reason
Not only that if you leave it off it could stop the wheel from seating properly with the hub causing you to have a vibration an certain speeds

And the only reason why I can think of that Nissan primeria passing a mot with only 3 studs is
That the wheels were covered by hubcaps and are not removed for the mot

You could only have one stud/nut on all 4 wheels then put hubcaps on and as long as every thing else if fine on the car it will most probably pass a mot

#28 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

yeah.......still not going to drive my car with a snapped stud. it one of the big important bits of my car. anything to do with wheels, brakes or the engine i class as important. so i try to keep them in good nic.

#29 mini1976

mini1976

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:18 AM

Fair enough you can all ofcourse do what ever you like, the nissan in quetion has alloy wheels and I only know it is missing one as i noticed when walking up his drive. All Im saying is Ive had no problems with only 3 studs from an engineering point of view i suspect that 2 is proably strong enough and the main reason for having 4 is as you mentioned to get the wheel to sit centraly. As the wheel nust all are tapered to fit the wheel I would expect the nuts will centre the wheel themselves even if there is only 3 of them.

Im not recomending only using 3, Just saying that I only currently have 3 have driven a few thousand miles like that and its not been a problem.

#30 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

As has been said, you may of got away with driving with 3 studs for this long, but driving like this will be putting extra stress on the other wheel studs and its only a matter of time before one or more of the three remaining studs break.

Not is it potentially dangerous, but in the event on an accident, its something an insurance company could use to invalidate your policy, potentially leaving you with massive bills. I don't think its worth the risk of not replacing a stud that costs a few pence!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users