168 replies to this topic

#31 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:15 PM

BMW do own the Mini, and by calling it a Classic Mini you are falling right into their hands as that's the phrase they invented, that's what they want you to call it.

You can learn in a MINI Convertible if you like, but you can't take your test in one. Only car ever to be banned from driving tests.

You won't be seeing MINIs in forums in 40 years time. I doubt you'll see any at all. Ever heard of the End Of Life Vehicles Regulations? All car makers now have to set up schemes to take over and recylce every single car they produce when no-one wants them any more at no charge to the owner. There won't be any scrap yards, there won't be any tired old cars lying around anywhere 'because they'll all be broken up. It won't be easy to keep a MINI going long into the future because they are so complex. Do you really think that someone's going to keep a MINI for 40 years if they have to pay hundreds of pounds to replace all 6 airbags every ten years? Even with BMW's fine tradition of running a strong heritage department to keep their old cars going, I doubt that any of the current generation of cars from any maker will be around in 20 years because of things like this and the complexity of them and part count. The fact that most of the components are non rebuildable and designed to be replaced as whole assemblies and coded to the body or engine computer from new means that it simply won't be possible to keep these cars going.

#32 Herby.

Herby.

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Give over! the MINI isnt trying to be an immitation of the classic, its an EVOLUTION! things move forward, so should you lot!
dont get me wrong, i am obsessed with the classic mini, but i quite like the MINI, i see it as a completely different car to the mini, and compared to other modern cars, it is small.
And if im being honest, my fiancee is looking at getting one.

Rant over

Next time im at my mates in cranfield, I will call in on you if you PM me your address.

#33 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Ironic that the original mini will outlast the BINI!!

#34 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

Just like it outlasted the Metro

Lesson for BMW: Don't try to modernise the Mini!

#35 Herby.

Herby.

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

i agree with the others there is way to many bini's around, and the evolution thing well, evolution is thesame car or thing changing (evolving) into something diffrent (better), but BMW would have had to own the classic mini to be able evolve it, an ive tried flashing to the bini owners but they ignore me like i dont exist so i say :D them

When the new mini was launched in 2001 it was a well known thing that all mini owners flashed eached other, But the people buying mini`s now except a few are just buying it because it`s a great car so they dont know about flashing other mini owners CLASSIC & NEW.
So unless somebody has updated there mini after three years you want to only flash to ??51 or ??02 reg plates.

Ironic that the original mini will outlast the BINI!!

How do you know this.
Some how i think you will be wrong.

BINI FOREVER.

#36 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Give over! the MINI isnt trying to be an immitation of the classic

then why

1 did BMW put a mini badge on it and not a BMW badge
2 use mini motor spot heritage when BMW has a good one of its own
3 bring out models like the cooper and cooper s
4 fit bonnet stripes and spot light to look like the older cars
5 make it front wheel drive when all other BMW models and rear wheel drive
6 use adds like the flashing head lights, have you ever seen othe BMW models do the same ?
7 the shape of the new one is the same as the old one

i could go on all night, yes the new bini is trying to immitate the old one :D

#37 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

How do you know this.
Some how i think you will be wrong.

BINI FOREVER.

Apparently it will according to dans post, and i cant recall may times when he is wrong about something.

#38 mini_miniman

mini_miniman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

bungle dont for get the new monte carlo bini in america direct rip off ofthe classic even comes with removable magnetic side numbers sad really like dressing up a bin like a rocket ship lol

#39 Dolts

Dolts

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred and Exhausted

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

6 use adds like the flashing head lights, have you ever seen othe BMW models do the same ?

i could go on all night, yes the new bini is trying to immitate the old one :D

1 It is only made by BMW, MINI is a seperate company, hence dealers have 2 signs, 1 BMW and 1 MINI!
2 not sure about htis one, but hey, im 'stupid'!
3+4 Like i said its an evolution, an updated version!
5 to make it rear wheel drive they would have to have made it even bigger due to moving the engine roud, and it would have made it more expensive.
6 See point 1.
7 see 3+4

At the end of the day, its down to individual taste, like it or not its your choice.

#40 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

It's not evolution ..

Evolution is VW making the new Beetle .. Because VW made the old Beetle, therefore they have evolved that car ..

If Austin made the new MINI, fair enough, that's evolution. But, they didn't ..

Now dont get me wrong, Im completly Oldskool so the new MINI isnt exactly my kind of car but I wont *woman of ill repute* it down as I beleive its a very good car.

As for it not being an evolution because Austin/Morris/Rover hasn't made it....RUBBISH!! They had plenty of time to be update it. Maybe if rover decided to stick a 1.4 K series in the base model Mini and a 1.8 in the Cooper it would have solved there problems. Add a 1.8 turbo for the S with updated suspension, brakes and interior and it would have been a cool little pocket rocket which could have been up aginst the pug 205 and even the Civic type R. Im quite glad they didnt update it to be honest. Just look at the last MGs. What a mess. Nothing more than face lifted Rover base models.

I reckon BMW have done a cracking job. They handle well, go well, even sound nice on the S models and best of all loads of different people drive them. From your average pen pusher to your big pop star.

JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL

#41 ryan69

ryan69

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

Yeah but it's not the original, the original is cooler.

#42 On_fire

On_fire

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

i could go on all night, yes the new bini is trying to immitate the old one :)

1 It is only made by BMW, MINI is a seperate company, hence dealers have 2 signs, 1 BMW and 1 MINI!
2 not sure about htis one, but hey, im 'stupid'!
3+4 Like i said its an evolution, an updated version!
5 to make it rear wheel drive they would have to have made it even bigger due to moving the engine roud, and it would have made it more expensive.
6 See point 1.
7 see 3+4

At the end of the day, its down to individual taste, like it or not its your choice.

Well it`s my individual taste and choice to blow everyone of the BINI`s to :crazy:

but then again i`m sure it`s a good car :dontgetit: :w00t: :D

#43 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

Do BMW mini's flash each other?

#44 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

I don't think they should even be compared to each other to be honest. They are without a doubt two completely different cars which happen to share a name and some other characteristics (which i'm sure teh mini shares with other cars if you look hard enough).

I don't hate the BMW MINI, I just treat it like every other modern car on the road. Nothing else matters when you're in a proper Mini :D

#45 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

We all know that but its still a bloody good car.

One thing that has p1ssed me off about BMW, is that they havn't took it rallying and have relied on the classic cars credentials. Imagine a 2 litre, supercharged 4wd WRC MINI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users