84 replies to this topic

#16 MiNi'D

MiNi'D

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

This looks like a solid Mini! So this one has been converted from an mpi to a 1380 carb?

#17 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Its always worth arguing with the testers. I had a highly modified RS2000 while i was stationed at RAF Gutersloh (late 80's early 90's.) Took it for its first BFG passed no problem however on the second one he said the brakes were binding. Really i thought and watched what he was doing. The numpty was trying to move the car while he was in the pit. He had not even jacked the car up to see if the wheels rotated freely.

One common sense conversation later and a fresh BFG. Now the exhaust on my car was a Peco full system which even with the new additional center box was still loud but passed every time so go figure. Plus it was running twin 45DCOE Webers and so on.

#18 o0OWILKSO0o

o0OWILKSO0o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

This looks like a solid Mini! So this one has been converted from an mpi to a 1380 carb?

Indeed it has, which is great but there is so much extra wiring now that im mid process in sorting.

#19 MiNi'D

MiNi'D

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Isn't there a lot of wiring that's useless now? I mean, a carb engine has less electrical components than an mpi.

#20 o0OWILKSO0o

o0OWILKSO0o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Isn't there a lot of wiring that's useless now? I mean, a carb engine has less electrical components than an mpi.

Yeah thats the job I left half done as I left for the UK, thers no ECU, different fuses and no injection gumpf. I found one loom connector about the size of my fist wedged under the gearbox linkage. So i'm re wiring now. Problem is that I have to strip all cables back as some are still used ie temp sender.

#21 o0OWILKSO0o

o0OWILKSO0o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Spendings to date...

Posted Image

#22 ajtom94

ajtom94

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

hope you're having fun over there aha - looks like a pretty good list going for yourself

#23 o0OWILKSO0o

o0OWILKSO0o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

New parts starting to arive..

-Headlining
-Brace Bars
-New Bottom Hose
-Reverse Flip Front Hinges http://www.superfast...d_hinge_kit.htm

#24 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Why did you get a 74°deg thermostat? You need 82° or 88° unless you have a very warm weather.. and 1" spacers are no joy for balljoints and wheel bearings..
by the way did you go through the mot test? You can get hold of a decent MPI exhaust (with a cat) and it will pass both emissions and noise.
Now i dont know about mpi's but noise level should be 94db with a mini anyway..

Edited by jaydee, 20 August 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#25 o0OWILKSO0o

o0OWILKSO0o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

Why did you get a 74°deg thermostat? You need 82° or 88° unless you have a very warm weather.. and 1" spacers are no joy for balljoints and wheel bearings..
by the way did you go through the mot test? You can get hold of a decent MPI exhaust (with a cat) and it will pass both emissions and noise.
Now i dont know about mpi's but noise level should be 94db with a mini anyway..

German summer is pretty hot normally and she wont really be driven in the winter due to the snow. I was going to get a mpi exhaust but was told you cangt put a cat system on a carb car.

#26 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

I did rallying in italy well above the 30° mark using an 88° thermostat, i fitted an oil cooler though..
I tell you because the 74° can make the engine run at a non optimal temperature for modern fuel, causing poor performance/mpg, you also have a front monted rad to aid cooling..

#27 o0OWILKSO0o

o0OWILKSO0o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll order a new one before I head back home. I was thinking about oil cooler, did you get much benifit?

#28 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

You can notice a difference when trashing the car on hot days, as you always get good oil pressure, no pressure drops, but atm i dont have an oil temp gauge so i cant say the actual difference in terms of oil temperature.
I get rid of it in the winter, and the cooler has got a 74° thermostat to avoid overcooling.
Mind you i have a sump guard fitted, with no sumpguard i dont think you need a cooler.
I'm not sure where you can put one in the mpi engine bay though.

#29 o0OWILKSO0o

o0OWILKSO0o

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Ive got a sump guard too, well ive got all parts for my flip front now, less the front itself. So i will be making more room for a coller. Ive seen it mounted on the brace bars just behind the grille. I will have to have a play with it once the front is on.

#30 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

Get a small cooler, 8 or 10 rows, with a thermostat.

I think you can retain the inner wing with the flip front.
This can be an idea:
http://www.theminifo...r/page__st__150
remove the big air scoop for the fresh air vents and reroute the coil bolting it to the cylinder head, and you'll have room for the oil cooler.

I can suggest also a vertical rad like those fitted to the early coopers:
http://www.somerford...page=page&id=93
Problem is that they're hard to get hold..they would fit great in that position though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users