#1 wearethedx16

wearethedx16

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm a first time poster and sad to say - I need to work out how much my beloved Mini is worth.

Posted Image

I was driving back from Devon a couple of weeks ago and the head gasket overheated, apparently causing all the pistons to sieze up - the mechanic has advised me it needs a whole new engine but the bodywork is mostly ok. Couple of issues -
  • Front grille dented (thanks BT Wholesale!)
  • Drivers Door sill rusted to hell ("see the light" in the next pic)
  • Minor scrape on off-side wheel arch (Thanks TFL Bus Driver!)
  • Rust on Sub-Frame
  • Bearing was showing play at last MOT
  • Sun Roof is now out of synch and the arms that pull it up and down will probably need replacing
  • It's a bit smelly from the previous owner being a smoker.
Posted Image

That's a bit of my shonky fibre glassing on the bottom of the door - apologies! Its currently located Near Tiverton (where I had to leave it at a local garage). Any questions or comments or suggestions please let me know. I know it's far from mint, but I'm optimistic someone will be able to use it or stick a new/old engine in it?

Posted Image

Attached Files

#2 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

I might be interested in it depending on price, PM me when you work something out!

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

I might be interested in it depending on price, PM me when you work something out!

likewise....

ps, is the plate included ?

#4 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Local Club: Barnsley mini club

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

pm'd

Liam

#5 mini-power.co.uk

mini-power.co.uk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Pm sent

#6 wearethedx16

wearethedx16

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Chaps - its all well and good being interested but I need to know it's value before I can flog it to someone isn't it? Is £2k too steep for a motor in this condition (with no motor)? ;D

P.S. The vanity plate isnt included - thats currently on a certificate and also for sale. The Mini's current plate is T68 TBA

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

The engine failure is not the problem, it's the body work and sunroof, both of which are expensive to sort out... which puts it in the area of being broken up for spares, which then means that the engine failure does become a problem... as that's one of the 'big' money returns when dismantling a mini.

It's not worth anything like 2k, buying in trade I'd be wanting to spend about £500, especially as transportation from Devon will incur quite an expense.

Are you paying the garage where it is located storage ?

#8 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

i agree with guessworks the car is over 200 miles away from me. in the condition its in its worth no way near £2000 about 500 i would say maybe a little more. if i was to buy the car off you i would restore it too many good minis have been broken recently.

Liam

#9 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Agreed it's not worth anything like £2k. You say the body work is mostly OK, but it clearly needs a new n/s doorskin and A-Panel (can't actually see the o/s from the pics), and there is also rust in the seams beneath the headlights, which realistically means that the wings are best being replaced as well.

You also mention the door sill being rusted to hell, the sill itself can't be clearly seen from the pics, so are you just talking about the bottom of the doorskin, or do you mean the actual sill is rotten as well (i.e. the panel beneath the door) The other issue is that the Late MPi's were notorious for rot, so there could well be all sorts of other horrors lurking beneath as well. You also say there is rust on the subframe, presumably are we talking about the rear subby, but are we talking about just surface rust here, or do you mean that it's shot through and needs replacing as well?

If you find a buyer who wants a project then I reckon you might be able to get around the £700-£900 mark for it private sale, basically because as a 40 LE it would be quite valuable once restored. Otherwise it's probably worth more in parts, the interior, wheels and arches would probably get you around £600 alone, but breaking it would be a real shame and as Guessworks points out, the engine is one of the most valuable parts when breaking a car for parts and unfortunately yours is pretty much scrap. I think if it were me and I had a problem car like this sitting in someone's garage at the other end of the country, then I'd probably take what I could get for it from a trader, just to be shot of it and all the hassle.

Edited by AVV IT, 19 September 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#10 wearethedx16

wearethedx16

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Thanks folks - Some good common sense answers.

@ Guess-works.com - It's currently at the Garage, and will be moved to a nearby farm in the next few days (put out to pasture!)
@ AVV IT - I mean the bottom of the door (skin?) being rusted - the actual footwell/panel beneath the door is ok. I'm not 100% about the Sub Frame - It was detected on the MOT but only as an advisory so....? £700 - £900 is a great estimate and much better for me to re-coup some of these fee's.

If I advertise it on theminiforum.co.uk what other info should I include? More pics, pics of the underside/engine etc?

Thanks for your help so far!

#11 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Pics of the subframe would be an idea as you describe it to be a problem, pics of both sides, the sills and a picture of the boot floor (with the carpet removed) would be a good, one of the engine bay would be an idea too.

I think a private sale is always going to be difficult if you're not actually going to be with the car to do the deal, and it will put a lot of buyers off. So I think that given the situation selling it to a trader would probably be more advisable, but you could always give it a go. You will need to become a TMF+ member to advertise it here though, as you don't have enough posts to use the classifieds section yet.

#12 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

if it was to go on sale through here for that price iam very interested. could you get some detailed pics of the car ie scutle floor pan sills rear subframe etc

Liam

#13 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Still interested here too at that price

#14 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

Lets hope whoever buys her plans to restore her.... at that price unfortunately she's in danger of been broken up

Those seats are worth a fair bit on their own

:ohno:

#15 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Lets hope whoever buys her plans to restore her.... at that price unfortunately she's in danger of been broken up

Those seats are worth a fair bit on their own

:ohno:

that would be what i would do it lools too good to be broken up

Liam

Edited by liam-ds, 19 September 2012 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users