#32 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

It does make me laugh on the valuations section, some people are out for a bargain, it's worth way more than £500....

Just because a Mini is rusty and is a non runner, that makes the only option to break and destroy it?
Especially as rare as this.
Glad job we all don't think this or there 'd be none left.

If it was in Manchester I would save it - I don't bullsh1t

Where did I say it was worth £500 ?

Where did I say because it is rusty and non-runner it would be broken up ?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but it's probably just as far away from me as it is you, and for the right price I would be on my way to Devon to pick it up, just I've been open and honest and given the current owner an option based on it's location and condition.

And to be more open and honest..

I reckon the car in it's current body condition, but with a running engine and 12 months T&T it would probably make iro £2500, and with the body sorted properly, so new front end, door, front 3/4 respray, reconditioned webasto, and the interior trim renovated, it could make £5-6k, but would probably cost you £3k to do that.

Problem is, figure £500 for a second hand running MPi engine, probably couple hundred to put it through an MOT, and £165 tax, that's nearly £900, add that to the purchase price and recovery ??

Option 1 becomes uneconomical very quickly.

#33 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

So what is going on with it then, ebay soon? or....

#34 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

It does make me laugh on the valuations section, some people are out for a bargain, it's worth way more than £500....

If you're someone looking for a project to sink your hard earned cash into over time, then it may well be worth way more to you than £500, probably because like most of us you'll end up spending way more on it than it will ever be worth. But if you're a trader, then you're going to look to get it for a price where you can cover your costs and make a profit at resale, otherwise you will quickly become yet another small business that has gone to the wall, particularly in the current economic climate.

Just because a Mini is rusty and is a non runner, that makes the only option to break and destroy it?

No, but if you're looking to get rid of a car like this, then you should at least consider the most economically viable options. As for braking and destroying minis, whilst I'm all for saving them where possible, have you ever considered where all the parts from broken cars actually go? In many cases it's the use of parts from dismantled cars that provide the only economically viable way of keeping countless others cars alive. For instance, realistically where exactly is someone going to get the replacement engine from to save this car, if not form a breakers? :unsure:

The notion that breaking minis will lead to there being none left doesn't actually make any sense. There will only ever be a demand for used spares from breakers, whilst there are still cars out there that require them. If we were to actually break every last mini for spares, then who exactly would buy all the parts? :blink:

#35 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Yessssssssss but......scrapping a mini hurts more with some models than others :lol:

I have to stay away from ebay if I know theres a 94 Monte Carlo in need of saving >_<

As Guessworks said fully restored thats a £6k car which is out of alot of peoples financial range. I hope someone buys it who couldnt afford one at that price and a resto is their only way of owning one. Even if that means spending years and all birthday/xmas's restoring her back to her former glory.

I'm an ole romantic...or just daft :shifty:

#36 wearethedx16

wearethedx16

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

@megamini_jb - I'll put the link to ebay on here as soon as it's online - a few posters have asked me to PM them...just gotta figure out what that means and I'll get onto the ebaying...

(but seriously, I need to take a couple of pics of the boot, w.carpet up, door sills etc and then will upload to ebay).

It's been educational this has... If I had a garage I wouldnt be selling, but as it's of more value to someone else at the moment than me, it makes sense to sell.

#37 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

There is a big difference between breaking a Mini and scrapping a Mini!!!

If you scrap a Mini it is gone forever, if you break a Mini what do you think happens to it?!!!

The parts get recycled back into other Minis hence helping to keep them on the road, and the bare shell will be restored by someone, rebuilt and go back on the road (in whatever shape or form) so you are effectively recycling them!

If that Mini was done up by someone it would probably end up getting scrapped much sooner than if you broke it for spares :lol:

#38 mini-power.co.uk

mini-power.co.uk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I made an offer of £1200 which Ben was going to accept until everyone on here jumped in saying its worth thousands.

#39 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

If you're someone looking for a project to sink your hard earned cash into over time, then it may well be worth way more to you than £500, probably because like most of us you'll end up spending way more on it than it will ever be worth. But if you're a trader, then you're going to look to get it for a price where you can cover your costs and make a profit at resale, otherwise you will quickly become yet another small business that has gone to the wall, particularly in the current economic climate.

No, but if you're looking to get rid of a car like this, then you should at least consider the most economically viable options. As for braking and destroying minis, whilst I'm all for saving them where possible, have you ever considered where all the parts from broken cars actually go? In many cases it's the use of parts from dismantled cars that provide the only economically viable way of keeping countless others cars alive. For instance, realistically where exactly is someone going to get the replacement engine from to save this car, if not form a breakers? :unsure:

The notion that breaking minis will lead to there being none left doesn't actually make any sense. There will only ever be a demand for used spares from breakers, whilst there are still cars out there that require them. If we were to actually break every last mini for spares, then who exactly would buy all the parts? :blink:

Just saw this after my post - yes you understand the process unlike a lot of others on here!

Another way of thinking about it - what happens with say a late spi or mpi that needs parts to keep it running that are either no longer available or prohibitively expensive (and if you know mpi's you will know what i mean), how are these owners going to get there car back on the road?

The owner has the choice of spending a fortune on new parts (e.g. sensors/actuators/ECU/engine etc) which many won't be keen on or deciding that they will themselves scrap or break the car!!!

The parts don't just go in the bin, they go back into something useful.

#40 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

£1200 is a good offer IMO

#41 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

I made an offer of £1200 which Ben was going to accept until everyone on here jumped in saying its worth thousands.

No one said it was worth thousands in its current state.....

Yessssssssss but......breaking a mini hurts more with some models than others :lol:

:D

#42 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

£1200 is a good offer IMO

I second that. Thats a good price

#43 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Agreed .....Very fair

#44 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

I agree, £1200 is more like it.

#45 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

£1,200!!! :ohno:

He should have ripped your arm off there and then, instead of getting sucked in by those who pluck figures out of the air and don't actually quantify, or give rationale to their valuations. He was happy enough when I said he might get £700-£900 for it, so at £1,200 he should have been utterly overjoyed!!

Yessssssssss but......scrapping a mini hurts more with some models than others :lol:

That's nothing but mini racism, all minis are born equal and all have the same rights & feelings!!! ....apart from automatics obviously!!! :shifty:

Edited by AVV IT, 20 September 2012 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users