#46 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

if you remove a big chunk of the car and replace it with something different it's not the same car

So every restoration requires an IVA?

not if done properly to the original spec

#47 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

if you remove a big chunk of the car and replace it with something different it's not the same car

If you really wanted to be anal about it. I`m sure 90% of mini`s out there could be considered for an IVA.

How many people have cut their wing`s for clearance or drilled the wings for fitment of arches

How far do you go with it?

#48 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

The DVLA count the chassis as the major component that gives a vehicle its identity, it's equating that to a monocoque that's the issue. I don't think they are likely to try and force a test on you if there's no public interest - Modify your car in some way to make it dangerous, or become an obvious fail if it was IVA'd, or try to fiddle free road tax, and they might take a different view.

Bungle is right though, if it failed a VIC or otherwise lost its V5 registration you couldn't just press rewind, an IVA would be the only way back on the road.

#49 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

If you can weld then its a proper metal front everytime.

No contest, the car keeps its value, looks nicer.

#50 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

If you really wanted to be anal about it. I`m sure 90% of mini`s out there could be considered for an IVA.

How many people have cut their wing`s for clearance or drilled the wings for fitment of arches

How far do you go with it?

both of those things are listed as being ok

your for ever telling me everyone knows this stuff but clearly you have never read up on this subject

your home work for the weekend is to read up on the subject

Edited by Bungle, 18 January 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#51 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I guess reading up on the subject is of more value then putting a car through a VIC test and preparing another an IVA? Id rather heed the words of the man conducting the test then reading about it on the internet. Or is that not the best way to go?

The point I`m trying to convey is that given when you solid mount and chuck on brace bars the inner wings become not structural. So how is cutting and modifying them any different from say cutting the arches. Other then of course one of them housing the chassis plate. A guy conducting a VIC test said that he didn't mind where the plate is as long as its present. Nor was he concerned if it was freshly stamped or original.

But back on topic.

Fitment of fiber panels are never going to be as good. UNLESS you make your own taking a mold. This is an expensive and involved option. Essentially you will need a full steel front that's been fitted very well and in paint.

In your situation. Not ideal.

Steel fronts are expensive but will fit better then any fiber front off the shelf.

Id go for the latter in your position.

I`m going for the first option at the current moment in time. This is due to the one company making dimensionally accurate parts. However they use a method that is cheap and is not the ideal. Even a home workshop could be equipped to produce parts using a better method.

But ultimately its your car, do what you wish. I know I will be. Bungle will be having a fit when i put the pictures up of my future cross member and inner sills.

#52 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

The point I`m trying to convey is that given when you solid mount and chuck on brace bars the inner wings become not structural. So how is cutting and modifying them any different from say cutting the arches. Other then of course one of them housing the chassis plate. A guy conducting a VIC test said that he didn't mind where the plate is as long as its present. Nor was he concerned if it was freshly stamped or original.

your still missing the point this is not a structural thing . the 8 points system is all about if you have enough car left to call it the same car

i could remove the pop rivets and take the chassis plate off my mini and stick on my daily clio + the number plates, but in doing so it doesn't make my clio a mini

#53 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

your still missing the point this is not a structural thing . the 8 points system is all about if you have enough car left to call it the same car

i could remove the pop rivets and take the chassis plate off my mini and stick on my daily clio + the number plates, but in doing so it doesn't make my clio a mini

It near enough says. If something is not structural you can remove it. This means the rear bins and half seat can come out and the valence can come off. If the front wings are removed the inner are no longer structural. Its just that the plate attaches there. But the reality is changing the scuttle does more damage to the "identity" of a car then removing that plate.

I`m sure on many of the mini`s in the channel at the front of the scuttle there is a number stamped there too? I think there are numbers on the window winder mech`s that pin it to the year too.

#54 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

It's just translating the rules to fit the Mini. The inner wings thing came from some responses in a Q&A with a guy from the DVLA a while back. I took it as more of a general monocoque thing, plenty of cars have bolt on wings and more substantial inner wings than a Min, without a subframe. It's all just opinion, until someone is unlucky enough to put it to the test.

#55 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

It's just translating the rules to fit the Mini. The inner wings thing came from some responses in a Q&A with a guy from the DVLA a while back. I took it as more of a general monocoque thing, plenty of cars have bolt on wings and more substantial inner wings than a Min, without a subframe. It's all just opinion, until someone is unlucky enough to put it to the test.

The fella who did the VIC test on my black mini had no issues with there being a lack of inner wings forward of the shock mount.

#56 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

That is exactly right until vosa specifically start looking for minis that have been modified to their poor interpretation of the rules/laws then there will not be a problem and maybe the main reason they have not looked for minis for the last 50 odd years is that it would be rediculous to take a mini off the road for removing the front 30cm of a panel lets not forget there is still a very large part of the panel is still there and maybe it's the people who like to WARN others of theire wrong doings that misinterpret the rules so unless you work for vosa how do YOU know what is wrong and not. its all just waffle unless you have actual facts and not just read on the Internet or a book and you have interpreted these generic rules and applied them to the mini then it's only your opinion and not fact so well done you read a book or a web page, put it down switch it off go on about your life and let others go on with theirs as we have found its safe to remove the front of the inner wings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users