how's the homework coming on ?

#18 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Every one completely inadequate structurally. The bracing bars MUST be fitted to meet the remnant of the inner wing as high as possible to be effective. Those are only greatly multiplying the stress on and around the ends of the crossmember.

In any case, if you want to use those on the road, the car will have to pass an IVA.

A tube is far, far stronger than 1mm flat plate and that is a fact

#19 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

The reason for the different designs on brace bars is for those which wish to retain the side mounted radiator, for those which do, running a brace bar through the x-member and bulkhead is not an option, so you have to run the bars to the outside of the inner wing.

#20 dave-88_123

dave-88_123

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Local Club: jurrasic coast minis

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

all this iva stuff is ruining this forum

#21 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

yes the sooner everyone plays by the rules and stops this bodging the better

#22 M30

M30

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I've always wondered why brace bars are bolted directly to the subframe rather than through a bush, when the parts being substituted (inner wings) are bushed

Stu

#23 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

for the same reason you should replace the rubber mounts for solid ones

#24 dave-88_123

dave-88_123

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

no i mean you constantly complaining about other peoples cars we know your opinion so theres no need to keep on about it and get on everyones nerves having minis is about having fun if people do things to there cars its there choice there has been a topic on this and there is no definative answer so stop preaching your own opinion to others and try and say somthing positive for once

#25 tommypope

tommypope

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local Club: surrey hills

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

no i mean you constantly complaining about other peoples cars we know your opinion so theres no need to keep on about it and get on everyones nerves having minis is about having fun if people do things to there cars its there choice there has been a topic on this and there is no definative answer so stop preaching your own opinion to others and try and say somthing positive for once

the fact is if the car doesnt pass an iva its not road worthy nor is it insured and if some *wa* hit my car who is uninsured i think the damage to there mini would be the least of there worries

you wouldnt drive it with no insurance so why drive it when it needs an iva and hasnt?

#26 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Oh god this iva thing is getting boreing.

If people are going to banging on about inner wings and brace bars then they need to start looking at people with oversills! They change the stiffness etc of the shell much more than brace bars.
If you look at the N/S inner wing with its huge slats for the rad then a well designed brace bar will be stronger.

#27 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

it's an identity thing not a strength thing and i don't mean vin plate

#28 dave-88_123

dave-88_123

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

the fact is if the car doesnt pass an iva its not road worthy nor is it insured and if some *wa* hit my car who is uninsured i think the damage to there mini would be the least of there worries

you wouldnt drive it with no insurance so why drive it when it needs an iva and hasnt?

yes but no one know if it needs an iva thats why this is so anoying the rules are not clear and every car is judged indevidualy its people preaching there own interpetation on what they read on the internet and stating it as fact when it may not be so and this has been said many times before yet it keeps happening i mean a brace bar over a thin piece of steel one of witch is almost none existant due to the rad vent on more modern cars i can see how its structural but on a mini the teardrop mount are there just hold the front panel in place there is no boxing betwen the tower and teardrops just a piece of tin with alot of holes in it

#29 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

it's a identity thing strength doesn't come into it and i don't mean the vin plate

i really wish people would read up on this and know the facts and we can then move on

#30 dave-88_123

dave-88_123

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

there are NO facts this was a issue raised in the thread there are rules that can be interpreted in many ways not even vosa would give a straight answer as they said its all done on an individual bases it so anoying to see the same janeric post in almost every topic everyone knows your opinion by now there are a few people that like originality which is fine and has its place but then this can lead to people complaining about the non original cars as they are not there preference if you dont like somthing thats fine but there is no need to go on about im sure good advice is apreciated but if somthing is your opinion it might not be correct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users