52 replies to this topic

#31 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

I still think this is one of the most idiotic and fool hardy things anyone has eer said.... such a disgusting way to look at life... blame others...

the early minis had such awful safety ratings... even at low speeds the front would crumple and the pedals would be driven into your feet... imnagine hitting something silly like a bollard at 15 mph and not being able to walk again

#32 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

As Issigonis said "I design my cars with such good steering and such good brakes if people get in to a crash it's their own fault"

And invariably someone who has just passed their test do crash, and come off a hell of a lot worse than in a modern car

#33 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

As Issigonis said "I design my cars with such good steering and such good brakes if people get in to a crash it's their own fault"

An Issigonis was an Arrogant, Ignorant old man.

Thats a stupid thing to say, and safety is why the Mini didn't sell well in the states, it didn't meet the regulations. Even with the addition of air bags and door bars on the MPi.

It's not so much you that you have to worry about, its every one else.

#34 TylerW53

TylerW53

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yeah I see what your saying. You do have to look out for the mad men in Saxos and people who have just passed their tests. Odds are a Mini will come out worse.

#35 iTomKart

iTomKart

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

From experience I'd say don't worry about engine size, and certainly don't turn a mini down just because it's a 1275. I got quoted £35 a year more on insurance than a 998 for my 1275, and I'd happily pay that for the extra fun you get from it!

#36 JackF

JackF

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Local Club: NSMOC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

I bought and used my mini as my first car. I agree with a lot with what is said.
What you save on insurance costs, you will loose twice over on maintenance/upkeep and/or repairs.

You need to some savvy with mechanics, just basic knowledge will do, they are 40 year old technology... you have to remember that. This goes for safety, speed, build quality, wear etc.

They are unlike most cars, I am still so glad I chose a mini as my first car, and it has been my daily for nearly a year, however without my dads mechanical knowledge, I dont think I would still have it. But equally I've learnt a lot from working on it.

Do it, it's different. You can learn, and driving a mini always makes you smile!

#37 TheLarky

TheLarky

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

I've been driving nearly a year in my mini now and i agree with all the other 17 year olds on this thread. 

i would say its been a faultless car but I've broken down more times than i want to care about. If it wasn't for my dads patience i would have scrapped it by now(doing 300 miles plus a week in a 31 year old cars the main problem).you soon pick up how to work on them and learn how to fix them and the parts are pretty cheap if were honest and if it does seem expensive i always look at how much it would cost on my brothers Saxo and laugh that i could nearly by the parts twice and still be cheaper!

I've still not tired of walking up to it and getting a buzz from spotting it in a car park after a hard days work.(bit sad i know).

From a 17 year old view, the girls seem to like it and all of my mates are jealous of it, just don't drive like a dingbat and just cruise around and your be fine.:)

#38 iTomKart

iTomKart

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

I've been driving nearly a year in my mini now and i agree with all the other 17 year olds on this thread. 

i would say its been a faultless car but I've broken down more times than i want to care about. If it wasn't for my dads patience i would have scrapped it by now(doing 300 miles plus a week in a 31 year old cars the main problem).you soon pick up how to work on them and learn how to fix them and the parts are pretty cheap if were honest and if it does seem expensive i always look at how much it would cost on my brothers Saxo and laugh that i could nearly by the parts twice and still be cheaper!

I've still not tired of walking up to it and getting a buzz from spotting it in a car park after a hard days work.(bit sad i know).

From a 17 year old view, the girls seem to like it and all of my mates are jealous of it, just don't drive like a dingbat and just cruise around and your be fine.:)

To all of this post. Yes. Absolutely yes

#39 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Every thread i see about this topic, i am going to post this picture...

Truedat_zps53f480bf.jpg

Get's me every time  :lol:

Edited by IainNeon91, 10 June 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#40 Spannerintheworks

Spannerintheworks

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

I had a Mini for my first car at 17 (ive had them since i was 11) 

Never had a problem with it , used rain and shine 6 days a week when i was an apprentice mechanic - This was 13 years ago now and even then a Mini was a rare first choice for a car with them getting rarer. 

They arnt the safest of vehicles in the world , but your not supposed to crash them , i survived without doing so. If you respect your licence and drive within your limits they are as safe as every other car, take some extra training , do a couple of car control days , track days. IAM , pass plus. ect ect to prevent you from hitting something in your mini 

make sure you look after the thing. try and buy the best one you can , mechanicals are simple. its rust that will kill a mini , there has to be 3/4 times more A series engines still alive than cars they were ever fitted in.

It will be the coolest thing in the world to own , other people in Minis wave at you and you become part of a crazy community , Little Kids dont say Car , they Say Mini 

#41 TheLarky

TheLarky

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

It will be the coolest thing in the world to own , other people in Minis wave at you and you become part of a crazy community , Little Kids dont say Car , they Say Mini 

I get all sorts of people put there hands up to me, mainly white van men!

I also forgot to say that me and my dad recon its a good investment as you could easily get your money back when you sell it, as any other car you buy it for £1,000 and after 6 years only be able to get £500 when you sell it as a mini's value never changes after many years (as long as its not rotted out or broken obviously).

#42 willava182

willava182

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Just to add, Pulling girls is so much easier in a mini ;)

#43 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Just to add, Pulling girls is so much easier in a mini ;)

it's true :-)

#44 Spannerintheworks

Spannerintheworks

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Though it can get interesting when things get more "interesting" with the fairer sex 

#45 petechap

petechap

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Though it can get interesting when things get more "interesting" with the fairer sex 

yeah don't buy bucket seats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users