54 replies to this topic

#1 MISSMADFORMOTORS

MISSMADFORMOTORS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

hey guys,i was just wondering if any of you wonderful people out the could share stories,photos,advice on me spraying my car with spray cans.I want a good looking car but not a show winner,its a low budget project first car and it would help if you guys shares some prep advice and ideally some photos of your mini if you spray painted it with cans...

Posted Image

i just need to rub down this cheap 2 pack and slightly change the shade of blue to surf blue (BU35)

thanks Miss M

#2 JimminyBob

JimminyBob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

As far as I know it's pretty straightforward: rub down existing paint, apply primer, some people say to sand the primer down afterwards, wipe down the panels, spray on paint thinly over several layers, apply lacquer when it is tacky if its two tone paint. Then wait a couple of weeks for the paint to set before sanding down with 1500/2000 grit sandpaper and polishing back up to get a nice finish. If you do everything properly there isn't really any reason you can't get a good finish, we might be rattle canning the 1275GT to save money.

#3 Ash-Lambretta

Ash-Lambretta

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi

I see your glos aswell dont know if you have heard of them but middleton panels is a good paint shop to buy materials and paint from better than halfords and they make spray paint for you

by the way I want your wheels :D

#4 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

find someone who will spray it with 2k for you, you can do the polish after rattle cans dont give the same finish as a proper job, and if you do most of the work the spray work is simple

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,418 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

You can get aerosols made up, which'd be a better option than off the shelf ones, Have several on the go at once and "rest" them in a bucket of hot water to avoid the paint chilling as the pressure is discharged. Brush & roller, or an electric sprayer might be better options for a whole car respray.

#6 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

As far as I know it's pretty straightforward: rub down existing paint, apply primer, some people say to sand the primer down afterwards, wipe down the panels, spray on paint thinly over several layers, apply lacquer when it is tacky if its two tone paint.

There is no need to aply primer unless you rub down to bare metal, you only need lacquer if its a clear over base, and 2 tone paint is when its painted a different colour on top from the bottom.

#7 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Rattle cans are OK for covering over a repair or a replacement small panel such as an A panel, but they're really not suitable for respraying a whole car. They provide very poor/thin paint coverage, that isn't really sufficient to provide any depth of colour, or to allow for flatting back or polishing afterwards. A complete respray needs a number of initial thick coats to achieve decent coverage, which just isn't possible with rattle cans.

If you don't have the skills, or facilities to respray using a gun and compressor, then using a roller based system such as rustoleum, will provide far better results than rattle cans will. With a few coats and a little flatting back afterwards, you can acheive some really impressive results using rustoleum and a roller, there are many websites dedicated to it's use so have a search online and check it out.

#8 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I would suggest that you stay well away from rattle cans. It is possible to achive an ok finish and but you will need to put in a lot more effort than if it were painted properly. If you sort all the prep work and give a hand masking and strip as much of the car as possible you may find that the paint work may not be much more than buying all the rattle cans (you will need a fair few). the main issue with rattle cans is that any future paint work will be very difficult as it is Likley to have reactions which the only way to sort is to take down to metal and start again.

#9 MISSMADFORMOTORS

MISSMADFORMOTORS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hi

I see your glos aswell dont know if you have heard of them but middleton panels is a good paint shop to buy materials and paint from better than halfords and they make spray paint for you

by the way I want your wheels :D

yep thats where i got a test sample of the cans for the car and planning to get the rest.

#10 MISSMADFORMOTORS

MISSMADFORMOTORS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

i've calculated to cover the car and get a good finish of paint i will need roughly 9000ml or roughly 15 cans of cellulose paint...i really only plan on doing the visible parts of the car as the interior of the car has been custom fitted so there is minimal metal showing....thanks for the advice guys keep it coming....its kind of a long term project anyway but just dont want it looking too scrufy

#11 JimminyBob

JimminyBob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

There is no need to aply primer unless you rub down to bare metal, you only need lacquer if its a clear over base, and 2 tone paint is when its painted a different colour on top from the bottom.

My mistake, should have proof read my post. I meant that lacquer should be applied if it's a two stage paint, somehow I got that mixed up with two tone :P

#12 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'd try and just live with your current paint, until you've saved for someone to paint it in 2k/waterbased, will be worth the wait.

Like the alleycats by the way :)

Edited by Midas Mk1, 30 March 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#13 MISSMADFORMOTORS

MISSMADFORMOTORS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I'd try and just live with your current paint, until you've saved for someone to paint it in 2k/waterbased, will be worth the wait.

Like the alleycats by the way :)

thanks may be swamping them out after the resto for some minilies...but yeah they are pretty cool :D

#14 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

You can get a good finish with rattle cans, but you do need to put a good few coats on. I would recommend looking at getting som 'fat caps' from a graffiti shop to get a decent spray pattern. Thing to keep in mind is that you're going to need 10-15 cans to get enough coverage to flat back to a shine, so it's not that cheap.

#15 MISSMADFORMOTORS

MISSMADFORMOTORS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

You can get a good finish with rattle cans, but you do need to put a good few coats on. I would recommend looking at getting som 'fat caps' from a graffiti shop to get a decent spray pattern. Thing to keep in mind is that you're going to need 10-15 cans to get enough coverage to flat back to a shine, so it's not that cheap.

it will be roughly £150....but thats cheaper and easier than a respray as i can work on a pannel at a time...well thats what i thought anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users