54 replies to this topic

#46 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Does anyone have a link to a web site that sells 2k aerosols, i am confused how you can mix 2k in a can because it dries with a chemical reaction with the hardner.

#47 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

really ur asking quite alot by wanting to spray a whole car in celly from cans, because you will need to build quite alot of paint up on those panels to then flatten and polish to a reasonable finish. but thats not to say it cant be done!!!
just remember they drip!!!

as for the 2k route, are you goin to a paint shop to get your paint?? because if you are!!! this is just an idea......

i use to fill my own cans up, and a few customers were in the same situation as u. they didnt have a compressor but wanted to spray it in 2k for the finish. so i use to fill the can up with the colour and mix the hardener in there aswell so u would basically have a 2k can!!!

i would go and have a chat with the paint shop and tell them how many u require, and maybe they can do u a better price as u need so many of cans, then ask them if they can make the cans up so they are 2k. include a hardener in the can??
if they say yes. decide what day you want to paint it on, then collect the cans in the morning then get home and paint!!!
the cans will last a few days with the hardener in. and u can keep them in the fridge to make them last longer or outside at the minute with our weather.
and buy a very good 3m disposable mask!!! because the paint is toxic!!!!

if u decide on celly, it doesnt need a lacquer. cellulose is made from mixing colours to a single pack lacquer. so its in there already. but u can go over the top with lacquer if u want.

also something else to think about, becarefull how much the cans cost because u need alot of them and u might find that u could buy a cheap compressor from aldi and a spray gun, 3l celly and have a go ur self for a similar price. even better if u can borrow a compressor.

Cellulose is a lot safer option of spraying at home but 2k will give a better finish but is more toxic.

#48 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

basically the can is no different from a spray gun, you mix the hardener and paint together and inject into the can if ur making ur own, but they will only last so long in a can. the drying time is slowed down alot the older the cans get. there good for about 3 days tho.

they sell 2k lacquer in cans all over the place, some have a button on the bottom, and press it to mix the hardener to the lacquer.
some just press the nozzle and they are mixed.
hb body sell the cans of lacquer. hb496

cant beat a gun tho!!!

#49 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

i use to fill my own cans up, and a few customers were in the same situation as u. they didnt have a compressor but wanted to spray it in 2k for the finish. so i use to fill the can up with the colour and mix the hardener in there aswell so u would basically have a 2k can!!!

i would go and have a chat with the paint shop and tell them how many u require, and maybe they can do u a better price as u need so many of cans, then ask them if they can make the cans up so they are 2k. include a hardener in the can??
if they say yes. decide what day you want to paint it on, then collect the cans in the morning then get home and paint!!!
the cans will last a few days with the hardener in. and u can keep them in the fridge to make them last longer or outside at the minute with our weather.

if u decide on celly, it doesnt need a lacquer. cellulose is made from mixing colours to a single pack lacquer. so its in there already. but u can go over the top with lacquer if u want.

Surely when you mix hardner with 2k paint it goes off in a few houres because of the chemical reaction,
celly does NOT have lacquer in it when it is mixed, if its a base coat either celly or 2k or water base then it does need lacquer.

#50 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

yeh ur right it would in a spray gun, but doesnt seem to in a can, it may have something to do with the thinners in the can or that its sealed and air tight.
but the ones i made lasted ages with hardener in. and the hb 2k lacquer cans last for months, i still use them no for matching colours on spray out cards.

i dont under stand this mate:
celly does NOT have lacquer in it when it is mixed, if its a base coat either celly or 2k or water base then it does need lacquer.
????

celly and 2k do not need lacquering

reason they dont is the way they are made is by adding a mixture of colours to lacquer/binder. the binder is basically 1k or 2k lacquer.
and 2k then needs a hardener to react with and to cure. it will not cure properly with out.

#51 MISSMADFORMOTORS

MISSMADFORMOTORS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

really ur asking quite alot by wanting to spray a whole car in celly from cans, because you will need to build quite alot of paint up on those panels to then flatten and polish to a reasonable finish. but thats not to say it cant be done!!!
just remember they drip!!!

as for the 2k route, are you goin to a paint shop to get your paint?? because if you are!!! this is just an idea......

also something else to think about, becarefull how much the cans cost because u need alot of them and u might find that u could buy a cheap compressor from aldi and a spray gun, 3l celly and have a go ur self for a similar price. even better if u can borrow a compressor.

Cellulose is a lot safer option of spraying at home but 2k will give a better finish but is more toxic.

thanks i will ask about the paint cheers buddy :)

#52 The Otter

The Otter

The artist formally known as j322overthetop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

I would personally recommend trying to get yourself set up with a compressor and a spray gun and do it as 'professionally' as you can.

I replaced my front end last year and I decided to be cheap and spray it with rattle cans. It took at least £80 worth of cans alone from Halfords to get it done to how I wanted it (remember that's only the front panel/wings/A panels and scuttle), and even with lots of flatting back and polishing it still looks terrible close up. The more I look at it the more I wished I'd invested in some proper gear when I had the chance... still looks alright from a distance though (minus the obvious colour difference!)

Posted Image

So, you can get an acceptable finish with rattle cans, but in the end I really don't think it's worth the time and effort to get an 'okay' finish when you can get a much nicer finish with a compressor/gun job for not a massive amount of money more, especially considering you then have the tools to do the same sort of job again and again in the future.

#53 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Does anyone have a link to a web site that sells 2k aerosols, i am confused how you can mix 2k in a can because it dries with a chemical reaction with the hardner.

Next time you're at autopaint ask them, they do 2k in a rattle can tin. Its got to be used fairly quickly, my branch recommend 24hrs at the max before the paint starts to go off.

#54 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

also shifty
did that make 10L?
and is it inside and out? :)

I did do it twice.

http://www.theminifo...page__hl__mucky

#55 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Never use halfords paint!!!

No 1 nos what paint it is... Not even halfords.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users