AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

You can get a good finish with rattle cans, but you do need to put a good few coats on. I would recommend looking at getting som 'fat caps' from a graffiti shop to get a decent spray pattern. Thing to keep in mind is that you're going to need 10-15 cans to get enough coverage to flat back to a shine, so it's not that cheap.

it will be roughly £150....but thats cheaper and easier than a respray as i can work on a pannel at a time...well thats what i thought anyway

Sounds like a lot of money to spend on a bodge to me. For that sort of price you could probably do it properly, as you could buy yourself a cheap spray gun, hire a small compressor for a weekend and respray it with celly. (which you could also do a panel at a time if you so wished)

Edited by AVV IT, 01 April 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#17 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

My spray job cost me £90 (we had compressor gun ect) using 2k. I could not afford to pay a pro so we had a bash ourselves, we made a booth out of wood and plastic sheet it turned out ok for a diy job had a few runs which we flatted back,its by no means perfect but not bad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 MISSMADFORMOTORS

MISSMADFORMOTORS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

My spray job cost me £90 (we had compressor gun ect) using 2k. I could not afford to pay a pro so we had a bash ourselves, we made a booth out of wood and plastic sheet it turned out ok for a diy job had a few runs which we flatted back,its by no means perfect but not bad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so did you hire the compressor or already have it?

nice finish by the way really good job :D

#19 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

I've seen 1/2 decent rattle can finishes, although I think your 15 tins won't be enough, closer to 25 maybe 30.

#20 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

You can get good Rattle can finishes, but you have to spend the time at the end sanding and polishing the clear coat.

Spray cans will be Acrylic clear. :-)

#21 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

You can get good Rattle can finishes, but you have to spend the time at the end sanding and polishing the clear coat.

Unless of course the paint inside them is cellulose or 2 pack.

#22 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Rattle cans are expensive and time eaters. I've done it once, never again. 2k all the way.

#23 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Well, yes. But the clear that the OP was talking about. Halfords, will be Acrylic paint.

I didn't think you could buy 2 pack in spray cans in the UK anymore due to the chemicals, and the spraying without a booth thing.

#24 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

dont bother with rattle cans as youl be doing it all again in no time , 2k all the way ,hire a compressor and gun and do it right

#25 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well, yes. But the clear that the OP was talking about. Halfords, will be Acrylic paint.

I didn't think you could buy 2 pack in spray cans in the UK anymore due to the chemicals, and the spraying without a booth thing.

To paint a solid colour there's no need to clear coat, in this case that would also add 33% to the cost as well. Theres no mention of Halfords paint being used either.

#26 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

To paint a solid colour there's no need to clear coat, in this case that would also add 33% to the cost as well. Theres no mention of Halfords paint being used either.

OP said thats where he got his test samples from. :-)

Yeah, I didn't say it would be cheap :P - Whats the finish like on cellulose paint?

#27 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hi

I see your glos aswell dont know if you have heard of them but middleton panels is a good paint shop to buy materials and paint from better than halfords and they make spray paint for you

by the way I want your wheels :D

yep thats where i got a test sample of the cans for the car and planning to get the rest.

To me that reads that the paint didn't come from halfords.

#28 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

@ MISSMADFORMOTORS I borrowed it for a friend :proud: thanks its not great in other places but better than i expected.

#29 iTomKart

iTomKart

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

We managed to do a DIY paint job for under £100 inc. paint, sandpaper, polish pads etc using cellulose paint and a spray gun. Much better bang for your buck than rattle cans, I would strongly suggest it

EDIT: We already had the gun and compressor though, but these aren't too much to hire as already stated

Edited by iTomKart, 03 April 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#30 iwatkins

iwatkins

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Cannot help thinking a good paint shop would do a better job with much thicker paint for the same cost as a big pile of rattle cans.

When I did my AlfaSud, I did all the prep and did the blocking between coats, total cost for all panels was £220 including labour, booth and paint. Doubt you could beat that with cans?

But say you had just a roof to do, then I would consider cans, but would want to take my time and get lots of layers on with blocking between. Would take a while without a booth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users