#16 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Just FYI, here's the my car, I think black powdercoated steelies would suit it Posted Image

#17 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

I've been considering getting some wee steel 10's banded but really know nothing about it. Is it safe? Road legal? Improve or worsen handling? Improve or worsen ride? How easy is it to get tyres to fit? Can you use just off the shelf tyres? How are they banded? Do they cause major premature wear on suspension components?

A lot of questions I know but any help would be appreciated as I am really in the dark with this

#18 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

I've been considering getting some wee steel 10's banded but really know nothing about it. Is it safe? Road legal? Improve or worsen handling? Improve or worsen ride? How easy is it to get tyres to fit? Can you use just off the shelf tyres? How are they banded? Do they cause major premature wear on suspension components?

A lot of questions I know but any help would be appreciated as I am really in the dark with this

From what I understand, they cut the wheel in half, then weld in a circular strip (how wide the strip is depends on how wide you want the wheels to be banded). I should imagine it's as easy to get the tyres on as with a normal wheel, providing you use the right size tyres. Entirely road legal. Shouldn't imagine they affect road handling in any way differently than if you were to go for wider wheels anyway

Edited by tomtaylor1994, 10 April 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#19 Zara

Zara

BANANAS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

mines on Standard steelies atm but wouldnt mind a set of these banded :)

Posted Image

That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!

cant wait to get the 10's on but I'm loving this look atm so decided to definately gonna get a set of standard steelies for winter.

Id agree with the costing for an extra inch though :/

#20 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image

cant wait to get the 10's on but I'm loving this look atm so decided to definately gonna get a set of standard steelies for winter.

Do you think it would be possible to put spacers on to fill the arch?

#21 Zara

Zara

BANANAS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Heres my 10's Ive got to go on once ive sorted my brakes out :) 10 x 6.5

Posted Image

didnt have an issue getting the tyres on, they still use 165/70/10 so have slight stretch (the rim slightly sticks out past the tyre) but nothing too extreme...

Posted Image

and testing on the Mini, will be lowered abit more once fitted...

Posted Image

They are road legal, from what ive heard 6" handle very well and 7" do look good, usually the wider you go improves the handling but isn't always the case hence why ive gone 6.5... obviously the wider you go you will need arches to cover for how much they can stick out :)

#22 Zara

Zara

BANANAS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Posted Image

Do you think it would be possible to put spacers on to fill the arch?

cant see why not, maybe 1/4 inch spacr would do it without causing too many problems on these ones :)

#23 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image

didnt have an issue getting the tyres on, they still use 165/70/10 so have slight stretch (the rim slightly sticks out past the tyre) but nothing too extreme...

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are road legal, from what ive heard 6" handle very well and 7" do look good, usually the wider you go improves the handling but isn't always the case hence why ive gone 6.5... obviously the wider you go you will need arches to cover for how much they can stick out :)

Does this mean you may be selling your black 12" steels? :gimme:

#24 Zara

Zara

BANANAS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

lol they arent actually mine haha

ive borrowed 3 and one is borrowed off a mate.

I sprayed them myself to be honest, I can ask around for you if youd like a set though? Im only in Loughborough...

Dont think they are that hard to get a hold of :)

#25 tomtaylor1994

tomtaylor1994

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

lol they arent actually mine haha

ive borrowed 3 and one is borrowed off a mate.

I sprayed them myself to be honest, I can ask around for you if youd like a set though? Im only in Loughborough...

Dont think they are that hard to get a hold of :)

That'd be rate good thanks (: there's a set on eBay for £95 buy it now, so if there's ote cheaper going then I'd be happy (:

#26 Zara

Zara

BANANAS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

aye wey I know some people :) Ill ask around..

#27 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I can't speak for all insurance companies but I bought a Capri with some on and my existing insurance company refused to cover the car as did a couple of others I tried to get quotes from. I guess because they can't be sure of the quality of the work. I ended up going back to Laser alloys. That was a couple of years back so may be different now. I suppose some would argue that being steel wheels there is no need to inform the insurance company but if you have an accident and you haven't told them..........

#28 Elliskwleisk

Elliskwleisk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are perfect! Do you have any photos with the chrome hub caps fitted or are you not fitting them? Can we have a couple of close up shots to see how they look on the car?

Thanks

#29 Zara

Zara

BANANAS!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are perfect! Do you have any photos with the chrome hub caps fitted or are you not fitting them? Can we have a couple of close up shots to see how they look on the car?

Thanks

Im not fitting hub caps, personally I dont think they look right with the rest of the car to be honest

I'll definately get some shots of it when theyr on and fitted, i need to get some different brakes so they fit over the fronts first :)

#30 octagonalpaul

octagonalpaul

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Local Club: shatrats.com

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Posted Image

My City on 12x6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users