28 replies to this topic

#1 deviant

deviant

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

First off, apologies. This topic has been covered hundreds of times before, and I have heeded all advice that I have read so far, but I'm still no further on.

The History:

Aproximately 3 weeks ago, I managed to get my mini running well enough to get it to an MoT (and surprisingly it passed). It was uberpinking though, running very rich and was running pretty lumpily at idle. To get it through the Emissions part of the MoT, I did adjust the fuelling.  So for the last 3 weeks, it's been at home waiting for my insurance policy to renew, so I could add the mini to it at minimal extra cost. 

The Problem:

It now doesn't bleedin' start! In preparation for the L2B mini run, I thought it'd be a good idea to grab myself a timing light, and re-time the bugger. So, on Saturday, I set aside a morning to get it done. But would it start? Of course not!

What has been carried out so far:

- New Points

- Readjusted the points

- New HT Leads

- New Dizzy Cap

- New Plugs

- Adjusted the fuelling (was initially running a little rich), and then back again

- Checked the vacuum hose

- Adjusted the dizzy

I am definitely getting fuel to the cylinders, It's turning over and occasionally I do get a splutter that quickly dies. 

The one think I am curious about, is to check the spark, I removed the plug from cylinder 1 and had the engine turned over. When looking at the plug, there was no spark across the gap. However, when holding the plug against an earth (the block) it sparks. My understanding was that the spark should be across the plug gap. I have since cleaned up the plugs with no avail.

I do have another Ignition Coil and Carb Needle on order (hopefully should be here by Saturday) as I understand the carb needle, if worn, can cause overfuelling throughout the rev range, and that a dying/dead Ignition Coil can cause the over fuelling/non-starting issue (even though I'm getting a spark).

Any advice or suggestions of things to try would be much appreciated. I really don't want to miss out on Sunday!!!

Cheers,

Devs 

#2 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

If your getting fuel, the plugs will be wet. You will only get a spark at the plug once it is earthed out on the engine IE resting it on the head/ block

#3 deviant

deviant

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks buddy.

#4 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Don't waste your time just yet with fouled plugs, put a new set in and get it running. You'll know exactly what I mean if you have every tried starting a big British twin motor bike. 

#5 rob963

rob963

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Just a quick suggestion,

I would also consider replacing the condensor in the dizzy, as they do go for a pastime. Unless you have recently replaced that already...

hope that helps, :thumbsup:

Rob

#6 deviant

deviant

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Don't waste your time just yet with fouled plugs, put a new set in and get it running. You'll know exactly what I mean if you have every tried starting a big British twin motor bike. 

I renewed the plugs around 3 weeks ago just before it went in for its MoT, so doubting that there's going to be an issue with them so soon.

I'm very slowly restoring a '79 750 Triumph Tiger so I'll keep an eye out for that when I get a little further down the line ;)

#7 deviant

deviant

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Just a quick suggestion,

I would also consider replacing the condensor in the dizzy, as they do go for a pastime. Unless you have recently replaced that already...

hope that helps, :thumbsup:

Rob

Thanks Rob. The condenser was replaced along with the points a few days ago with no luck. 

#8 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

I renewed the plugs around 3 weeks ago just before it went in for its MoT, so doubting that there's going to be an issue with them so soon.

I'm very slowly restoring a '79 750 Triumph Tiger so I'll keep an eye out for that when I get a little further down the line ;)

Well by your own admission you get a spark between plug and block, but not across the electrodes.....same thing will happen with that T140...

I have one petrol tap that can let by a bit if not wiggled a bit, and with the bike left on the kick stand it is enough to foul the left hand plug, and even if I start her on one pot, and warm it up, that plug won't start firing unless I give it a squirt of carb cleaner.

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

out of curiosity, what plugs are you using? me and a friend with 2 mini's had to send 3 sets of plugs back to our supplier. (NGK BPR6ES) also it would be worth changing to Electronic ignition even if it is just a kit.. best £30 i spent!

#10 deviant

deviant

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

out of curiosity, what plugs are you using? me and a friend with 2 mini's had to send 3 sets of plugs back to our supplier. (NGK BPR6ES) also it would be worth changing to Electronic ignition even if it is just a kit.. best £30 i spent!

I usually stick with Bosch as I've never had problems with them on any of my cars. 

I've been looking at the AccuSpark electronic ignition system recently and have been temped. I will probably go down that route after this weekend if I manage to get it down (and possibly back) from Brighton :)

#11 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

I use the Bosch equivalent and they are fine - always have a few about in case the bike plays up, whilst it runs rich, the plugs soot but don't foul.

Electronic ignition is great for the mini and the bike, as you;ll find out when you set the points up on the Tiger, the points do a sort of little double tap if you get the gap wrong....and Oh yes, the buggers are individually adjustable for timing....perhaps I've missed it, but the crank appears to be built up with no adjustment, why the hell the points have to be is a mystery to me....The Wassell ignition unit is very well built compared to the rest.

#12 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

You had it running for the MOT

Did you replace all the above after that, and is it since the new parts its stopped.

Very common is HT leads on wrong

4 - 3 - 2 - 1   plug

3 - 1

4 - 2    dizzy

#13 deviant

deviant

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

You had it running for the MOT

Did you replace all the above after that, and is it since the new parts its stopped.

Very common is HT leads on wrong

4 - 3 - 2 - 1   plug

3 - 1

4 - 2    dizzy

Cheers for the reply. I can confirm that the firing order is 1-3-4-2 (anticlockwise on the dizzy, 1 being at the timing chain end). This I have double and triple checked as it was what was keeping the mini from starting when I first bought it 4 years ago.

#14 deviant

deviant

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

I use the Bosch equivalent and they are fine - always have a few about in case the bike plays up, whilst it runs rich, the plugs soot but don't foul.

Electronic ignition is great for the mini and the bike, as you;ll find out when you set the points up on the Tiger, the points do a sort of little double tap if you get the gap wrong....and Oh yes, the buggers are individually adjustable for timing....perhaps I've missed it, but the crank appears to be built up with no adjustment, why the hell the points have to be is a mystery to me....The Wassell ignition unit is very well built compared to the rest.

Thanks for the advice, I shall bear it in mind. :) 

#15 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

If you can get a mate turn the key.

slightly loosen the dizzy enough to turn.

Get them try and start the car while you move the dizzy back and forth.

If its just timing should hit the sweet spot where it will start..

You can then set with strobe. You mentioned pinking so maybe to much advanced.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users