Photo

Will These Rear Quarters Fit A Mk1 Mini?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

hi i am ordering some panels and i just want to make sure these will fit a mk1 mini?ino it says mk3 onwards but is there any difference in size and shape? thanks tom 

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Edited by ToM 2012, 31 July 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#2 Thorpsta

Thorpsta

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Local Club: Kings Lynn Mini Owners Club

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

The door shape is different, so I shouldn't think so

Edited by Thorpsta, 31 July 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#3 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

The door shape is different, so I shouldn't think so

cheers mate. 

#4 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hello Tom, not spoken in a while bud.

Right...as Thorpsta has said they are different at the door post but are you thinking of getting these for the mk1 shell project you have (White one) ?, if you are then it shouldn't be a problem as theres enough metal on the original rear quarter near the B-post for you to leave on, trim the front edge of this panel to suit the metal left on the shell and weld in slowly to reduce warpage as you would with the lower rear quarter repai panels.

I'l just check the pictures on your mk1 thread to make sure you have enough metal to play with, if not it's still no biggy of a job

Cliff

#5 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hello Tom, not spoken in a while bud.

Right...as Thorpsta has said they are different at the door post but are you thinking of getting these for the mk1 shell project you have (White one) ?, if you are then it shouldn't be a problem as theres enough metal on the original rear quarter near the B-post for you to leave on, trim the front edge of this panel to suit the metal left on the shell and weld in slowly to reduce warpage as you would with the lower rear quarter repai panels.

I'l just check the pictures on your mk1 thread to make sure you have enough metal to play with, if not it's still no biggy of a job

Cliff

hello mate i was just thinking that. leave the door bit on as it doesnt look bad. its at the bottom where its got me thinking as that bit it rusty but the bottom bit should still be the same? 

#6 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Just had a ganders and those rear quarters don't look half bad Tom! They seam to have only rotted around the wheels arch seam, you can by the arch rear panel so will save you some cutting and alinement issues as its now a supporting panel for the B-post so leave it as is for now, what is the inners like ?

#7 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

The rear repair bottoms for the quarter panel are available from M-machine in good quality (Pictured below), all of the panels in the picture below you'll be needing aswell haha:

DSCF1259_zps4071cdd1.jpg

#8 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

my plan is i have just brought a mk4 mini shell i am going to cut around the bottom from top of sill all the way round leaving the bulkhead and rear seat left all together imagine like a vw beetle when they take the shell of the chassis thats my aim on the mk4 shell. i will then change the tunnel to a mk1 a mk1 bulkhead fitted in. fit a push start floor panel with majic wand gear stick cut out ones engine is in place so ino i can get all gears. ones thats done i will get the mk1 shell all new panels and etc but with no floor or rear seat and then drop the mk1 shell onto the new floor and weld in place? hopefully thats my aim if you get what i mean? if i do it like this i think it would work but i need to watch out for crabbing? 

#9 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Just had a ganders and those rear quarters don't look half bad Tom! They seam to have only rotted around the wheels arch seam, you can by the arch rear panel so will save you some cutting and alinement issues as its now a supporting panel for the B-post so leave it as is for now, what is the inners like ?

lost me with the inners dude?  :shy:

#10 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

i have brought a new door post with a door step and a panel so far. 

#11 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

the chap who is selling the rear quarters i asked him would they fit a mk1 mini and he has replied saying... 

Yes and no, If you were to cut it off on the lip below the window then yes they will. the actual quarter panel is the same but the mk1 mini has smaller back windows so the top part for the window moulding isn't the same.

#12 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Right that seams a sensible idea tom and most economic in terms of budget, the tunnel changes can come at a later date when its a complete shell again, there are a few differences on the front subframe like the rear mounts and the top tower mounts which are twin bolt, the front bulkhead crossmember construction is different although you wouldn't notice from the outside, all the inner support around the towers are different (these parts are available from M-machine also).

When you cut the mk4 floor out make sure you leave plenty of metal on to trim and drill spot welds out later when you can see it properly, best bet might be to draw lines were you thinks best to cut it and post pictures up in this thread or your project thread so we can see if you're about to cut i vital area out or not haha

#13 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

i have brought a new door post with a door step and a panel so far. 

A-panel ? there are two A-panels on a mk1 T O_O  ;D

Inner and an outer

DSCF1181_zpscd29ab76.jpg

#14 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

cheers cliff your a star. i will get pictures of it once i get it up the garage can i go for these rear quarters? 

#15 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

the chap who is selling the rear quarters i asked him would they fit a mk1 mini and he has replied saying... 

Yes and no, If you were to cut it off on the lip below the window then yes they will. the actual quarter panel is the same but the mk1 mini has smaller back windows so the top part for the window moulding isn't the same.

He's abit wrong there Tom to be honest, yes the mk1 rear window apetures are smaller but thats because the top area is lower than mk3> mini's, the bottom of the rear quarter is the same as any other mini.

Plus he missed out the obvious B-post mods needed :rolleyes:  :bah:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users