Photo

Will These Rear Quarters Fit A Mk1 Mini?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

i have brought a new door post with a door step and a panel so far. 

A-panel ? there are two A-panels on a mk1 T O_O  ;D

Inner and an outer

DSCF1181_zpscd29ab76.jpg

o yeh i new that  O_O

#17 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

cheers cliff your a star. i will get pictures of it once i get it up the garage can i go for these rear quarters? 

Get some pictures up first aas you may only need the bottom repair panel pictured above to make them right, the bottom of the quarter is better cut or rotted out anyway for ease of replacing the rear subby mounting segment and stiffener panel (which may or may not be rotted on the later donor shell)

Another thing to watch out for is the mk4 floor you're cutting out sagging, are you removing the floor with boot floor and eelboard in place ? better to keep plenty of extra metal so as you dont ge a saggy floor to joggle up to the mk1 top half

#18 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Heres the best picture i have to hand at the moment Tom of the lower rear quarter setion cut out, the main part you see going across is the inner sill stiffener which is spot welded to the inner sill:

DSCF1085_zps7faf9059.jpg

Hopefully Shifty will see this thread and kindly post some of his pictures up as there of better quality haha

#19 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

cheers cliff your a star. i will get pictures of it once i get it up the garage can i go for these rear quarters? 

Get some pictures up first aas you may only need the bottom repair panel pictured above to make them right, the bottom of the quarter is better cut or rotted out anyway for ease of replacing the rear subby mounting segment and stiffener panel (which may or may not be rotted on the later donor shell)

Another thing to watch out for is the mk4 floor you're cutting out sagging, are you removing the floor with boot floor and eelboard in place ? better to keep plenty of extra metal so as you dont ge a saggy floor to joggle up to the mk1 top half

my mk4 shell now is rolling with subframes fitted i was going to leave the subframes on so i can line the body up better when it comes to drop on top? i will be leaving the bulkhead all the main floor the rear seat and boot floor so basically thats what i will have with the wheels still fitted and etc i also need to change the sills to mk1? i will get some pictures up and tell me the best place to cut. 

#20 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yeah sound about right Mr T, i would have thought laying the biggest surface area on the floor would be best although do you fancy strippng the radius arms off the rear subframe ? if so then it should lay almost bang on flat with a few wooden chocks here and there, if you could do that it'd be best but if not try your best to keep some structure, and don't forget to take measurement everywere! before cuttin the shell, if you need any measurement later on down the line no worries just ask me but best to atleast try haha ;D

#21 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

member this mate? http://www.theminifo...th-this-so-bad/

basically i want to do this but with my bulkhead left on and once my mk1 shell is solid i will then drop it on top and weld it in place? 

#22 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

mate this job is BIG for me but i am not going to let it beat me i will have to go threw smacking the hammer on my head but ile get threw this. haha cheers tom 

#23 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

the new rear quarters do you need pics of this or the ones on the mk1 shell? so i can buy them. 

#24 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

basically i want to do this but with my bulkhead left on and once my mk1 shell is solid i will then drop it on top and weld it in place? 

Ahh yes, blast from the past, so how much did you folk out for this mk4 ? you can sell the body on to an autograss racer (a few on here) to recoop some of the cost ;)

Just going to do a little draw up of were you want to be roughly cutting, and yeah the mk1 sills are different but that another finishing piece like the tunnel

#25 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

mate this job is BIG for me but i am not going to let it beat me i will have to go threw smacking the hammer on my head but ile get threw this. haha cheers tom 

Hit some metal with the hammer not you Father Ted man!! haha, you'll make it through easy tom (I have faith :shy: ).

We all start somewere and once you,ve done this the mini worlds your oyster :proud:

#26 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Ahh yes, blast from the past, so how much did you folk out for this mk4 ? you can sell the body on to an autograss racer (a few on here) to recoop some of the cost ;)

Just going to do a little draw up of were you want to be roughly cutting, and yeah the mk1 sills are different but that another finishing piece like the tunnel

i paid £150 for the rolling shell with no logbook maybe abit to expensive but alot cheaper then a 700 floor panel lol 

#27 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

BARGIN! haha yeah you,ve saved a hell of alot there Tom, id happyly take the rear of it off you for a trailer project haha

clubbyedit1_zps40c468c4.jpg

Red= the flat area i just mentioned which would be best to lay it on with rear subframe in place

Orange=Chop chop chop lol

#28 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

to be honest ile probz chop it up and sell the roof panel an d etc of it. 

#29 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

do i need to cut around the rear arch and leave so much of the rear quarter on? or can i just cut it of and leave the arches in place and the new rear quarters will fit on to the mk4 rear arches? 

#30 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

do i need to cut around the rear arch and leave so much of the rear quarter on? or can i just cut it of and leave the arches in place and the new rear quarters will fit on to the mk4 rear arches? 

You can cut a little nearer if you like but i drew thatup with the assumption of keeping strenth in the rolling floor  an for now, although if you want to cut nearer you can but just make sure the body seam stays as you'll need that to spotweld the rear quarter to as was done from factory

Shall i get you a few pics of what panels you'll need Tom ? or just reference names of certain panels ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users