Photo
- - - - -

Electrical Problem! Mini Will Not Start!

electrical

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lisamini

lisamini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hello 

I have a problem with my 1994 spi 1275i mini mayfair. 

It failed its m.o.t last week one problem being that the fog light would not work so i checked the bulb which was fine then i looked at the fuses all seem fine, i cleaned all the connections etc now the fog light and all the lights work but the car will not start!!! I can hear the starter motor and the fuel pump working but it will not start,I cant hear the ecu clicking/making any noise does anyone know which fuse is responsible for the ecu? or have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

I have tried to get an auto electrician out to it but two have failed to turn up very annoyed and desperate to sort this problem, any help much appreciated.

Many thanks Lisa 

#2 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Flat battery?

#3 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Engines usually don't start because of 1 or more of 3 things.

No spark

No fuel

Incorrect timing.

As it did run you can probably rule out the timing.

Remove on of the spark plugs, let it earth itself against the top of the block and turn the engine over to check it sparks. If it doesn't then check all you leads are connected correctly and haven't worked loose.

When you remove one of the plugs check to see if it smells of petrol. If it doesn't then it is probably a sign that fuel isn't getting into the engine.

You say you can't hear the ECU clicking. ECUs shouldn't normally click. Its usually a relay that clicks. If it isn't then it maybe a relay that sends power to the ECU that is at fault. Not sure where they are on an SPI. You'll have to check a manual for that.

No power to your ECU will most likely result in no spark and/or fuel which will be why it doesn't start.

#4 lisamini

lisamini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hello thanks for the replys ive sorted it, the ecu inline fuse had a bad connection cleaned and put back together and it now starts!!
That must be the one that powers the relay because can hear clicking noise now apologies my mechanical knowlege is limited but im learning slowly. :-)

#5 Leics1275

Leics1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

Lisa .. point is, you're learning :lol: and up and running :highfive:

#6 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Just remember to never appologise for asking questings, no matter how silly they seem when you get the answer.

its better to feel silly for a moment and ask a question than to be thick for eternity and never ask any questions!

YetI

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users