Photo
- - - - -

I Intend This Question To Be A Quick Ask Before I Google About It - The Horn.....

electrical

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

On a 96 Mini - pre-injector based on a Rio....

What colour wires form the switch for the horn on the stalk ?

Any answers would be very much appreciated.

Background info....

Having done some re-wiring on my mini I had run up two wires to be used by an aftermarket steering wheel with a push button centre.

I realised there might be some issues with the cabling nor being central but I left that bit for another day while I got into some more serious work (pressing the centre button works.  Now I've started looking into the issue I realise there are no gaps or holes to feed the cable through. I was quizzing this for a while before surrendering and needing to recable the old horn.

So - I have two cables that - when bridged (switch) - sound the horn.

Rather than poke around with both of them as well as having the palm of my hand keeping the stalk button in I thought I'd ask if anyone knew - without having to do much/any work - which terminals to use.

Thanks for any suggestions (or lol's for attempting a central horn button with a solid steering column!)

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

The two wires should be purple and purple-black according to the Rover manual.

#3 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

Brilliant!  I'll take a look at that in this evening's 'work'

I really wish I hadn't uprooted all the electrics.  It's a side effect of prednisolone (believe it or not) which I was on at the time (U/Colitis)

Prednisolone affects the mind and can encourage you to be confident in things that are tough - in my case laying a wooden floor and deciding to re-wire the mini. Jeesh.

P.S. I don't recommend anyone taking the stuff just to 'become confident in difficult work' ! 

#4 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Whoops

.... and thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated,

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

I am on enough medicines myself without that one, or the associated problem, but it sounds like rather potent stuff.

#6 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

I am on enough medicines myself without that one, or the associated problem, but it sounds like rather potent stuff.

It's a ridiculous purposed overdose for what I have.  There's also the sweetie binge eating.

Well at least I don't get the 'sudden suicidal tendency' effect - so far.

I guess the mega-DIY stuff is fun while its in full flow !

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

There are a few purple wires, anything that's permanently live & from a fuse. the wire from the stalk to the horn is purple with black stripes.

#8 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Thanks again - that matches up with the original reply - I still have to get around to doing it (it's on a rather long list).

by the way - all the work I've set myself would be much more difficult without cbsonline (car building solution).  Get their catalogue - it's got all the things you ever wanted but assumed that no-one made.  That looks like an ad. I don't work for them - just hoping it'll help anyone who decides to perform surgery on their mini!

#9 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Oh gloom!

I've mucked up.

This is because I tried to convert to the steering wheel to push horn.

The purple wire with black stripe exists and it dissappears nicely into the cluster of connections.

However the other purple lead seems to have nothing to join on too.

When you let the two purple wires meet you get a hoot - so it's obvious that the switch really does exist but it somewhere within the other wires.  It looks like I've pulled a cable and end fully our or can't get a contact on a free terminal (which I can't see anywhere)

Any clues?  I need to find a wiring diagram..... 'tis searching time....!

#10 jmmini

jmmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

Oh gloom!

I've mucked up.

This is because I tried to convert to the steering wheel to push horn.

The purple wire with black stripe exists and it dissappears nicely into the cluster of connections.

However the other purple lead seems to have nothing to join on too.

When you let the two purple wires meet you get a hoot - so it's obvious that the switch really does exist but it somewhere within the other wires.  It looks like I've pulled a cable and end fully our or can't get a contact on a free terminal (which I can't see anywhere)
Any clues?  I need to find a wiring diagram..... 'tis searching time....!

This is why I don't enjoy wiring, I always seem to end up chasing electrical gremlins after 'improving' something on the car :D

If it's any help I can take photos of the Haynes wiring looms later on if you don't have any?

#11 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Only if it does not take up too much of your time.  I can't believe I've got myself into this position - I guess I was so confident I could wire up a central push horn switch that I didn't mind when I pulled out the 'power' purple lead from the stalk (which I can't actually remember doing). 

I *do* have a Haynes manual but I haven't seen it for months.  I have a manual for my Elf but it refers to the very old set-up which - ironically -involves a centre steering wheel horn.

Here are the facts as per my 'situation'

There is a purple and black lead which goes into the stalk arrangement but rather than using a connector it seems to 'disappear' into the indicator mechanism.

There is another purple wire that is loose and follows the rest of the leads down the steering wheel.  This is always live.  The end of it obviously points upwards towards the steering wheel and hangs in the air.

I repaired the purple and black cable with a choc connector - which proves useful because if you touch the hanging purple lead end to one of the screws holding the black and purple leads together it sounds the horn.

I have looked upward towards the back of the indicator/flash/everything else assembly using a torch and lying down, upside down, under the wheel arrangement.  As I mentioned the problem is there seems to be no available spade or similar.  The other items are joined via spade/rounded spade but there seems no provision for anything else.  However because the 'attached' purple lead seems to go INSIDE the unit I won't be surprised if the 'power side' purple wire has to disappear somewhere.  If so then the job must get worse as I have nothing to attach anything to.

I'll do some googling on the unit but if you have a spare moment then your offer would be kindly appreciated.  It shows the spirit of help and friendliness that comes with the real mini marque.

#12 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

It may be that I'll have to get one of these:

http://minispares.co...talks.aspx|Back to shop

because I suspect that the purple lead *does* disappear into the unit.  If this is the case then the switching part would need to be taken to bits and I don't think that is do-able.

I think I might have made a fairly expensive mistake due to pulling just one wire.

#13 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Ok - got the steering wheel off - pulled the unit that combines the indicator stalk and wipers.

I took the bolts off the indicator stalk to seperate it from the unit.

Here's a big hint - don't open the indicator mechanism.  Everything falls out!

Therefore .... I am awaiting the order for a new indicator assembly.  It won't come with the wiper part so I'm suspecting I'll need to remove the wiper bits off old and onto new.  If that's the case I will have to keep things together incase I get the same reaction as the indicator bits.  Jeesh- unbelievable.

A positive has come out of it - I know the leads that 'park' the wipers (but I don't have a clue how they work) - having isolated it I'm going to move it to my new cbs fuse box.  I've also 'clicked' regarding how the sidelight circuit works - so I'm extending the cables into the car as part of the new fuse box.  I'm certain that I've made the crap old fusebox redundant and everything goes through the new unit.

I've used this item:

http://www.cbsonline...ng_Module_WRMOD

I recommend it.  Dead easy.  Mostly.

#14 jmmini

jmmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi, sorry for not being able to reply. Do you still want a picture bud? It's no trouble I've nothing to do today anyway until later on

#15 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

The wiper side switch wont fall apart like the indicator side it just whip the screws out and change over

Edited by KernowCooper, 11 October 2013 - 02:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users