38 replies to this topic

#16 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

The 1" spacers up front were to clear the brakes and so the front wheels filled the arches, the rears didnt have spacers but were banded 5.5x10 standard mini steels

Its a shame the red metro was scrapped, looked pretty decent!

#17 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

So with the smaller brake set up do you recon i could fit banded wheels without spacers?

#18 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

You could, but if you were to use 10" mini steels you would only really get away with a 1" band up front making 4.5x10 and 2" band on the back making 5.5x10s, as the offset on the mini wheels is different than that of a metro steel wheel. If that makes sense

#19 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yeah it makes sense. Mini wheels sit out further on a metro if im not mistaken? I may just go the route of spacers. Would reverse rims get on the front with spacers?

#20 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

They would mate, I did have banded steels up front to start on my blue metro with spacers, but you couldn't turn the wheels as they fouled the arches, hence the 3.5s and 1" spacers which filled the arches nicely and cleared the brakes.

There is an old skool method of machining the metro callipers and redrilling the mounting holes and turning the discs down to 7.9" to go under 10" wheels, but it's not easy, I have done it myself a few years ago and they worked well, but if you were to go this route, I'd get a couple of pairs of callipers and talk to a machine shop who could do it for you (you could keep the dual line brake circuit then)

Edited by olds_kool_lews, 13 October 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#21 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Surely getting all that machined would be more expensive than sorting it with the right bits? Especially everytime you need to get new discs.
How was the handling on 10's?

#22 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Local Club: north devon mini register

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

The metro was a 1275 auto needed a few bits doing for MOT so I pulled the engine out for my gfs mini and scrapped it as it wasn't worth it :(

#23 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Handling was fine on 10's, tended to scrape on speed bumps though as you gotta really slam the metro so the wheels suit the arches, as if you run standard height, the wheels look ridiculous lol

Real shame u scrapped it, I'd of had it off ya! Always on the look out for the next project ;)

#24 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Haha yeah i can see. Can you get it low enough with the just the gas?

#25 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

if you let all the gas out they are ridiculously low! however, the more gas you let out, the softer it gets, then the body roll is terrible and it drives awfully! obviously if its right down its on the bump stops which is obviously dangerous and it shakes your fillings out!

if your going to lower it, please do it properly, its really easy and it will handle much better afterwards! oh and if you fit some proper adjustable dampers on th e front it will handle really surprisingly well!

#26 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Just out of intrest does anyone know how to convert to coilovers or other suspension setups ?

#27 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

If the front is all let out the driveshafts will pop out of the pot joints. I have experienced this with mine not fun!!

#28 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

If the front is all let out the driveshafts will pop out of the pot joints. I have experienced this with mine not fun!!

Which end did they pop out of out of intrest ? i guess they'd make a mess if they came out at the outers! still flying around with the engine O_O

Luckly mines just dropped all the way on the rear not the front, not in use but still...i know its safish to move about till i can get a pump and fluid sorted

#29 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

They would pop out the pot joints

I let some fluid out of mine but only a little, and the ride is still fine, I'll get round to lowering it properly soon, how do you take up the negative camber when lowering a metro?

#30 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Yeh they pop out at the engine joint :/ and the camber didn't seem to bad when I did this??? I have read on her before about extending pot joints so they don't pop out but can't find it now. It was something they use on auto grass minis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users