MiniYeti

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hi there,

Long time lurker - first time poster!

I bought a 1991 Mini Cooper 1275cc a few months ago and am preparing for my first long journey (> 5 hours) in it. I've made a list of the essentials to bring with me, extra fuel (to keep me going between service stations on the M6!), jump leads, tool set, jack, oil, spare lights etc.

I'm starting to get worried now because of the cold weather, the Mini starts every time with a little extra on the choke and accelerator, but it has started to cut out at junctions and is running at low RPM (<1000rpm). This has only started happening in the last two weeks as I haven't been using it as much and it's been sitting outside. Are there any other checks that I can do that will tell me if it will hold up for the journey? I have a feeling that it's only cutting out because the engine hasn't had time to heat up properly and that once it's been run for a while it'll be OK. Would it be worth putting it in a garage until the journey?

The engine is a 1275cc GT MPi that's been converted to carb - should I get the carb tuned before I set off?

Any other advice on long journeys in a Mini would be a big help!

MiniYeti

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Full engine tune before going plugs/tappets/mixture/air filter and timing check is where i'd be with a spare coil/rotor arm and several lengths of wire, tape and clips, as well as the regular tool kit.

Edited by KernowCooper, 14 October 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#3 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

As KC said, cover just your normal basic service items, Minis are a lot more reliable than people give them credit for. In the summer i was away for over 5000 miles in mine, regularly doing over 300 mile days, all over Europe. The Mini never broke down once. Keep on top of maintenance, and you'll be fine.

As a side note, in January i'm planning on getting to the Nordkapp in mine, that's a journey of over 6000 miles return, and i'm expecting temperatures down to -35 in some parts of Sweden and Norway... Now thats a long journey in cold weather! :P

#4 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Make sure you have an ignition shield and maybe consider making a removable cover for half of the grille if things get really cold.

#5 Lennyliverpool

Lennyliverpool

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Local Club: northampton

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

I use mine throughout the year and the only concession i do is ensure that its dry under the bonnet - i dont have a weather shield yet so last year just

covered the engine with a blanket - worked a treat - just dont forget its there :proud:

As a matter of interesd what do others use to cover the grill if needed?

Lenny

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users