43 replies to this topic

#1 superteddyeddy

superteddyeddy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Has anyone bought this kit from vmaxscart? I made one myself but was just wounding what comes in kit to bond on the top plate to charger? Cheers ted

#2 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

I recon you are better injecting the water into the charger....

#3 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

I recon you are better injecting the water into the charger....

Me to. Simply sticking that to the charger body will have little effect if anything at all.

Phil.

#4 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

It's not really a charge cooler in the conventional name of things is it? More like a pool of water that cools the body of the charger?

Saying that, every little helps with these kits, and I do believe it does make a small difference. FWIW I agree with gr4h4m.

#5 superteddyeddy

superteddyeddy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Anyone got any pictures of that way? Where could I get a kit to do this? I am gess there must be a temp sensor which tells it to spray water other wise you be filling up a tank all the time. Any info would be great. Cheers

#6 si-supercharger

si-supercharger

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Has anyone bought this kit from vmaxscart? I made one myself but was just wounding what comes in kit to bond on the top plate to charger? Cheers ted

Hi the kit I bought from vmax came with some unusual caulk stuff, but I did not like the look of it and the messy finish. I used jb water weld to stick it on, worked a treat and could be smoothed and painted, no leaks yet :-)

#7 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Anyone got any pictures of that way? Where could I get a kit to do this? I am gess there must be a temp sensor which tells it to spray water other wise you be filling up a tank all the time. Any info would be great. Cheers

You can buy kits that are expensive. I have had good effect using a washer bottle, vdo headlight washer pump, a jet from eBay some plastic tubing and a pressure sensitive switch used in water injection and nos kits, which is plumbed into the vac /boost Guage line.
The pump is wired via a fused relay with the pressure switch switching the ground. For extra saftey I have light on the dash so I know when it's active and a float switch in the tank also wired to the ground for the pump, so car has to be at 5 psi and water in the tank for the pump to activate.

You would need to find a suitable place in the inlet to drill a hole and tap it for the nozzle to screw into, or weld a boss. I use a .70 jet and set the switch to 5 psi. I found on the dyno it drops the inlet temp by some margin using heat sensitive strips on the inlet manifold.

Edited by Gr4h4m, 04 February 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#8 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

I'm running the later vmax s/c cooler, it has a small pump/coolant tank that feeds coolant into a small matrix with a fan attached that I have mounted on the inside of the grill. The water is then pumped around the base of the manifold, I think mine is sealed with sika flex, Stuart from Vmax supplied me the whole thing fitted together.

The coolant does get very hot so I assume its taking some heat away from the s/c body as designed.

#9 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

A proper water injection setup is going to be far superior than bolting that water jacket to the casing of the charger. A simple setup like Graham's done is probably cheaper & will have much more effect in dropping charge temps & you could always add a little meth ...........  ;D  

Phil. 

#10 superteddyeddy

superteddyeddy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Thanks very much for info. Gives me some ideas to help me get the most out off my supercharger/engine. What size pulleys do people run? I removed my pulley off my charger with a pulling tool but when pulling it I noticed the shaft has moved out off the casing a bit. I no this because I took the end of the charger. Been reading and watched videos and there no info about this. They all removing the pulley with charger all together so they won't no the shaft would move or not. Is that normal????Hope so one can help.

#11 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

You can buy kits that are expensive. I have had good effect using a washer bottle, vdo headlight washer pump, a jet from eBay some plastic tubing and a pressure sensitive switch used in water injection and nos kits, which is plumbed into the vac /boost Guage line.
The pump is wired via a fused relay with the pressure switch switching the ground. For extra saftey I have light on the dash so I know when it's active and a float switch in the tank also wired to the ground for the pump, so car has to be at 5 psi and water in the tank for the pump to activate.
You would need to find a suitable place in the inlet to drill a hole and tap it for the nozzle to screw into, or weld a boss. I use a .70 jet and set the switch to 5 psi. I found on the dyno it drops the inlet temp by some margin using heat sensitive strips on the inlet manifold.
Really interested in this. Sorry to be a pain but could you do a link to show what, jet, pump and pressure switch to use. Not having much luck searching the net for the right items and not knowing doesn't help. Cheers

#12 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...1318504763 would thiis do it?

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 09 February 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#13 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Example switch

http://www.methanol-...&products_id=83

Example nozzle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230257168510

Example headlight washers pump, I use a vdo one and they fit into aftermarket washer tank.... Simple

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43c40daf2b

#14 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...1318504763 would thiis do it?

Yep that is a pro kit that would be much better than my home brew setup.. I will say one thing I haven't felt the need to switch I all out for a proper kit..

#15 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for that. Probably go for the kit and it'll match my aem afr gauge :-) . Out of interest does 'water /methanol' mean they run on either or mixed?

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 09 February 2014 - 09:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users