#16 matty1303

matty1303

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

If it's twisted you have problems!

But you need to ensure the shell you buy is better than the one you've got!

Also, you can't legally transfer the identity from your mini to a second hand shell

Would the twisted shell be worth anyone taking it on?

Not unless they could jig it themselves. I would've thought it wouldn't be economically viable!

Why has he had it 18 months and not done anything with it, how has it become twisted, and how does he know it's twisted?

6 month of that was my fault by not having the money the rest is hes had other work more urgent and worth more to him then mine. not sure how, either I have done it while restoring it or it was twisted when I bought it. God knows how he knows he just said he got it on the ramp and its twisted

#17 matty1303

matty1303

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

yep heres my project thread have a look http://www.theminifo...ayfair-rebuild/

#18 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Is the engine complete21.jpg

You have posted this on all of the recent topics i have comments on.

Are you ok/lost?!

#19 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Marty,

I am really struggling to understand this, I have just looked at your project thread, although not read it all just looked at the pictures. It appears that the shell has had a massive amount of work new front end, cills, floor sections boot area. In one picture the shut lines on the bonnet are not right but is that because it still is in progress. I do not understand how after all this time and work it has suddenly transpired that it is twisted. Need to know what and hopefully how, is it that panels when replaced were not aligned correctly? To me I would say that too much work has been done to abandon this shell, it's probably a lot more solid than a replacement you may be lucky to acquire. Find out all yo can, take picture and post up here, but don't throw in the towel yet, all things are possible.

#20 matty1303

matty1303

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Marty,

I am really struggling to understand this, I have just looked at your project thread, although not read it all just looked at the pictures. It appears that the shell has had a massive amount of work new front end, cills, floor sections boot area. In one picture the shut lines on the bonnet are not right but is that because it still is in progress. I do not understand how after all this time and work it has suddenly transpired that it is twisted. Need to know what and hopefully how, is it that panels when replaced were not aligned correctly? To me I would say that too much work has been done to abandon this shell, it's probably a lot more solid than a replacement you may be lucky to acquire. Find out all yo can, take picture and post up here, but don't throw in the towel yet, all things are possible.

You are correct alot of work has gone into it I am not sure if I had dont something or it was twisted when I bought the car, I just have no money left to do anything with it.

#21 corrado vr6

corrado vr6

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

How much of a mate is this guy??
Did he give you a price first that he has to stick to?

I only ask as obviously he is busy and maybe the thought of doing all the prep work on yours for little profit now seems not worth it, maybe he's just saying this so he doesn't have to do it, as he has already put it off for 10 months

Just saying its a possibility but could be way off

What were your door shut lines like as I couldn't see any pics with doors on, I did all the same repairs as you with bracing like yourself with no issues but then minis aren't the straightest cars out the factory

Edited by corrado vr6, 20 February 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#22 matty1303

matty1303

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

How much of a mate is this guy??
Did he give you a price first that he has to stick to?

I only ask as obviously he is busy and maybe the thought of doing all the prep work on yours for little profit now seems not worth it, maybe he's just saying this so he doesn't have to do it, as he has already put it off for 10 months

Just saying its a possibility but could be way off

What were your door shut lines like as I couldn't see any pics with doors on, I did all the same repairs as you with bracing like yourself with no issues but then minis aren't the straightest cars out the factory

I had the same thought although he has been a friend since I was born, so I do trust him. at first he qouted £3000 for just a spray and I laughed, coughed and almost cried at the same time haha then I just asked him to get the body work up to scratch so I can prep and spray myself. To be honest I didnt think I had done a bad job it wasn't great but was good for me so the phone call yesterday was a bit of a shock to be honest

#23 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Is the car on its wheels?

I'd get it back, and with the help of members of the forum you can assess for yourself whether or not its straight!

#24 matty1303

matty1303

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'd get it back, and with the help of members of the forum you can assess for yourself whether or not its straight!

No not at the moment, im going to get it back and would really appreciate the help. would it be better to have it on wheels.

#25 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

+1

#26 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

No not at the moment, im going to get it back and would really appreciate the help. would it be better to have it on wheels.

Easier to move mate! 

There are some good threads about where to measure to on the shell once you get it back!

#27 matty1303

matty1303

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Easier to move mate! 

There are some good threads about where to measure to on the shell once you get it back!

Ok thanks alot for your help its given me a glimmer of hope. When I get it back I will post some pictures up. I'll also have a search through here to see what I can do

#28 corrado vr6

corrado vr6

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Just please don't give up on this shell just yet anything is possible if you put your mind to it, it may just need a bit of research which is all part of the fun!

Did he explain why he thinks its twisted in his 2nd phone call?

I would think it was quite hard to tell if a shell is twisted with a mini that's not on its wheels and no subframes unless panel gaps are all over the place, hence why I asked about your doors.

Were there many previous repairs to the shell before you started?

Edited by corrado vr6, 20 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#29 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

If it wasn't twisted I can hardly believe it is twisted now...

#30 matty1303

matty1303

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Just please don't give up on this shell just yet anything is possible if you put your mind to it, it may just need a bit of research which is all part of the fun!
Did he explain why he thinks its twisted in his 2nd phone call?
I would think it was quite hard to tell if a shell is twisted with a mini that's not on its wheels and no subframes unless panel gaps are all over the place, hence why I asked about your doors.
Were there many previous repairs to the shell before you started?

I'm trying not to give up on it. He didn't ring me back.......

Well if he does ring I'm going to get it back and put all the bits on and check. Just a boot repair and a few patches on the inner sill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users