AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Local Club: Otago Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

At last, progress.

Just back from a visit to.the garage, they've found a nice little list of issues without even getting into the radiator fitting and compression/leakdown tests:

• Two broken engine mounts
  • Lower radiator bracket is completely wrong
  • Starter motor has been installed incorrectly
  • Most rubber fuel lines have perished
  • LH front brake line had been crushed and kinked
  • It's had a frontal at some stage
  • Fuel pump cap has been installed backwards
Hopefully that's the end of my woes :( There was literally nothing left of the mounts at all, just rusty worn steel and crumbly rubber, two new one's are in now. He's re routed and lengthened most of the fuel lines so they aren't running so close to the exhaust and is relocating the filter to the bulkhead. He's also redone the buggered brake line and sorted the fuel pump, it just needs the right Clubman rad brackets and he can install the radiator. New waterpump bypass hose was also installed as my one was swollen and cracking. Pointed out it's had a new nose and pair of guards at some stage, I asked if he thinks the car or front subframe is twisted at all as the LH front sits higher but he says there's no sign of anything untoward damage wise and it's more than likely worn bushes or subframe mounting pads causing the lean... As I said, I hope this is the last of it...

#47 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

IT'S HOME, AND ALIVE!! :D

HUGE list of problems fixed and still more minors to be sorted, but for now its going, and going well, with no overheating. Went for a good run up.some hills and a spirited drive out to Portobello and the temperature refuses to budge above 85 degrees. Also picked up.a few little bits in the shape of a walnut gearknob and GB badge from Minispares and, being a truckie and self confessed American truck nut, a very fitting sticker from Southpac trucks :)

DSC_0574_zps7bdc3845.jpg

DSC_0573_zpsfb22735f.jpg

DSC_0575_zps4a5bf330.jpg

DSC_0577_zps815359be.jpg

DSC_0576_zpsbf10a757.jpg

Will post some engine bay photos when it's light, there's still lots of work to be done but for now I'm just bloody happy to have my Mini.home :D

#48 Dr.Wylde

Dr.Wylde

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

Looking bloody awesome dude! that road out to portobello is excellent. I used to snot out there in my old worked 'n' lumpy 1275 GT  when i lived in dunners

P.S American Trucks rule , along with american Muscle cars (unfinished project in the back shed at my house)

Edited by Dr.Wylde, 29 May 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#49 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Looking bloody awesome dude! that road out to portobello is excellent. I used to snot out there in my old worked 'n' lumpy 1275 GT  when i lived in dunners
P.S American Trucks rule , along with american Muscle cars (unfinished project in the back shed at my house)

Cheers man :D yeah it's a great road, not sure how keen I am,on it during winter though, hitting ice and ending up in the harbour with soggy boots doesn't sound like fun :P

And yes they do, trying out for a run in a brand new Freightliner at the moment, what a bit of gear...

#50 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Glad you finally got it sorted!

Now time to have some fun.

Ben

#51 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

Cheers man, yes sure is :D I'll be a lot more confident in it once the other engine mount is in, we're certain there are no issues with head or gasket and it's had a full service and grease :) actually looking at going up the north island in it for a week...

Got my steering wheel on today, unfortunately 34mm sockets are only available as impact sockets in 1/2", so spendy!

DSC_0582_zpsbd6dae6c.jpg

DSC_0583_zpsc29401bf.jpg

Huge improvement over the cracked, ripped Clubman wheel. Bit of a stretch for the indicators but I'm not fussed, it's only because it's a dished wheel.

And an engine bay shot with all my goodies in place, entire cooling system has been overhauled and replaced.

DSC_0581_zpsb71499e5.jpg

Tappet cover is driving my OCD nuts so that's coming off tomorrow to get polished. Undecided if I'm going to paint it or leave it raw, there's a paint called Metalcast I've used before that emulates an anodized finish on chrome and polished alloy, or a candy finish over silver, so I'm thinking of doing it red to match my Retrosport parts, leaving the fins, cap, and T-bars polished, or wrinkle finish red with the same polished accents. Pulling all the old electric fan wiring out of the engine bay too, and once I get an amp, will start pulling my old headunit and heinous 4-way speakers out to be replaced with my new underseat amped 6x9s and headunit :D

#52 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:25 AM

Bought a new DA polisher yesterday and decided to give the sorry looking, dust-caked little mite a good once over with a strict dose of Kleers products, scrubbed up well! Today started with a lunchtime cruise out to Tomahawk beach, followed by a good cane up the hill out the peninsula to Larnach Castle, and then decided to see where the end of our road is... Waitati it seems :lol: Car never skipped a beat, temperature got up to just under half so still nothing to worry about. Here's some pics of my newly shined up little money pit overlooking some pretty coastal scenery. Because everybody loves pics :D

DSC_0584_zps0cccfda4.jpg

DSC_0587_zps47d77a5b.jpg

DSC_0589_zps42c96d6c.jpg

DSC_0590_zps60dfb24f.jpg

And a majestic hill/cliff thingy.

DSC_0588_zpsa07d7d0c.jpg

Forgotten just how much fun throwing one of these around really is, even though you're not hauling arse every twisty narrow road feels like a Special Stage and the go-kart steering and little bits of lift off overstee just complete the experience :D One of the only cars I can confidently left foot brake in with out ending up with my face lodged in the steering wheel too :lol:

Starting to wonder if I can give this car up to be honest...

Edited by AGRO_RB, 02 June 2014 - 03:28 AM.

#53 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Cleans up really well! Any reason why the little "over-riders" under the front bumper are upside down?

That last picture reminds me a bit of the Wild Cost here in SA  :-)

#54 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

I'd never owned a Clubman until this so I would never have picked that! :lol: to be honest lots of little things on this car are back to front or haven't been installed properly. As soon as I get myself a daily driver and a flat with a garage, I think a good strip down and once over is in order. There's a few crap rust repairs I'd like fixed, especially in the doors so it may actually be a case of replacing them completely, and you can feel big dollops of filler in behind the roof liner, if it's just in a couply of places, I'm not bothered, however if it's a swiss cheese job like my old mk4, I'll be adding a roof skin to the replacement list...

Its fine for now though.

#55 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Well it's tax refund time so the Mini.was treated to some goodies today! Ordered:

Rod-change seal kit
Rod-change mounts
Rod-change quick release collar
Slickshift bias barrel
SU dashpot oil
Stainless sill kick plates
Anodized red dashpot cover
New locking petrol cap

Should be here in a couple of weeks, think it's about time Minispares sponsored me or something, I've spent enough with them in the last 6 months!! :lol: Once it arrives the cars going back into the garage to get its other engine mount done, the selector seals replaced, the carb cleaned and oil in the dashpot replaced, oil change, coolant flush and fresh 50/50 coolant. Decided to attack the hill that killed my engine last time, The Kilmog, got over it effortlessly both ways with only a slight increase in engine temp, and a lowest speed of about 65kmh in 3rd on the last southbound grind to the summit. Pretty happy with it, but time will tell, more tests to do and work to be done.

#56 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

So since the last update, I've taken the car for a WOF, that's an MOT to us, failed on rear brakes and I had a coin stuck in one of my seatbelt catches :lol: no majors at all. I've bought a full new set of shoes to go in ASAP, just need to find time... However I had an issue yesterday morning, my cheapy eBay heater valve disintegrated, dumping coolant all over the coil and leaving me stranded :(

DSC_0623_zpsac34exo_edit_1403768341267_z

So it was time for an unscheduled stroll to the garage who does all my big jobs, luckily managed to source a take-off elbow instead of another dodgy tap :) Luckily I always carry basic tools, gasket sealer and fresh premix coolant so after a 10 minute roadside repair I was on my way again:

DSC_0624_zpshr0h5aj0.jpg

And this morning, MINISPARES PACKAGE TIME :D

DSC_0625_zpsv74gnjca.jpg

DSC_0627_zpsvauj3v4n.jpg

All my rod-change service parts, slickshift barrel, replacement fuel cap, dashpot cover, SU dashpot oil, burr walnut handbrake cover. Installed everything bar the rod-change stuff, nice to see even just the little things being improved :)

I've also recently discovered all of my windows, and both door seals, leak. A full new set of seals should arrive in the next few days. My front carpet, however has been holding water for some time, as there was house carpet underneath as insulation, it was mouldy and rotting, so out it came, revealing the onset of that cheeky little bugger, the Tinworm:

Passenger footwell:

DSC_0628_zps2xcgioo_edit_1403758192271_z

Drivers:

DSC_0629_zpst32h3nm_edit_1403758158279_z

So it was out with the wire brush. Luckily most was just surface rust however there's corrosion on the drivers side, hopefully it can hold on for another year or so before it needs repairs. Dumped the minging house carpet and got stuck into hoovering and cleaning up the cars carpet. Then, it was time for a bit of protection:

DSC_0630_zpsxzbctrs_edit_1403757917555_z

Two coats of primer:

DSC_0631_zpsvz8er9s_edit_1403757943983_z

Three coats of gloss black, I would've preferred matte, but its all I had on hand:

DSC_0633_zpsaibghki_edit_1403757856707_z

ollowed that with a dousing of Lanocote, horrible smelling fish oil and lanolin infused spray, before refitting the carpet, and FINALLY, it fits properly and can actually be buttoned down :D

DSC_0634_zps1mo0hj6_edit_1403757891249_z

Such improve. Many tidy. So wow. The carpets will be coming out to be replaced by a black or dark grey one eventually but I'm very happy with it for now. I now have full travel in my clutch too. Finally, an oil change with Penrite HPR 20W60 and a set of new plugs has freshened things up under the bonnet. I'm not leaking petrol thanks to a shiny new cap too :) Small progress, but it's good!

#57 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

It's the little things that make a difference. 

#58 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Door and window seals arrived yesterday, no wonder shipping was expensive, they weigh a tonne!

[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/terrorhxc/media/DSC_0637_zpspt7v5ap_edit_1404009099000_zpspwipdrdo.jpg.html]DSC_0637_zpspt7v5ap_edit_1404009099000_z[/URL

2 door, 2 quarter glass, 2 windscreen, 2 chrome locking strips. Door and rear seals should be easy but I'll get both screens done professionally. I'd quite like to replace the weather strips at some stage too, just for peace of mind.

Noticed last night the motors gone a bit flat again :S was going fine then all of a sudden the bark from the carb went quiet and the whole rev range just feels lethargic... Something else to look at.

#59 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:32 AM

Car is home again. Rear brakes were knackered. Both wheel cylinders seized and one shoe had lost its lining thanks to crap bonding. New rear shoes installed, new cylinders, drums have been machined and the entire handbrake mechanism from lever to drum has been stripped, modified, lubricated and improved. This was just to get past my WOF (MOT) inspection, which I now have, however the fronts are in need of attention now with an adjuster on one wheel being broken and the overall feel of the front brakes being fairly vague. I also had the hardlines from the master cylinder rerouted at the same time. as the distribution block was just hanging on by electrical tape. It has since been mounted to the firewall again, and I can finally sit my clutch line back in the appropriate hole again. Engine mount and front brakes are next on the cards and, only 2 more weeks until my wheels arrive :D Just need to get them fitted with tires so I can see what flares I need. Hopefully standard or W&P will suffice.

Feels good to be legal for another 6 months anyway  :proud:

Car is also for sale, no rush, but If I get a good enough offer...

#60 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Don't sell up mate. What wheels you getting?  =]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users