55 replies to this topic

#16 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:18 PM

I think it would look really good in the dash, as in you can just see the front of the ps2, and the main part of the console is hidden behind the dashboard, altho im guessing this would be hard cus of the off switch being on the back of the console, so underneath the dash would prolly be more practical :D

#17 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:54 PM

took my car for mot on saturday, so with that out the way i can get cracking with the dash, i've got the centre section that holds the screen and head unit done now and have decided to do away with the dash rail and create my own. I'll bang some pics on as i progress.

#18 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:18 PM

Yea, that looks sweet. I want to see pics when she's done!

On the subject of CDs in the PS2, don't, basically, it's a *yellow human water*-poor CD player. Even brand-new CDs in a brand-new PS2 will skip, it's something to do with the way the PS2 reads the disc, I can't remember the details.

#19 bankxi

bankxi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:40 PM

im thinkin of the ps2 and screen be same thing the ps2 dont play cds 2 well so i think i will go with a head unit aswell and i think im putting the screen in the gluv box and the ps2 into the install on back seats what you think

bankxi

#20 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:02 PM

Do you mean the places u can put stuff by the back seats? the hole things??

#21 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:26 PM

i think the ps2 is a kool idea

#22 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 12:09 PM

im looking at a ps2 idea aswel as ive heard its a competant dvd player as well as it being a console

You should realy be running a headunit with it as because as far as i know the ps2 doesnt have pre-outs to run amps and the ability to set the sound up in the car.

rob

#23 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:48 PM

Been on hols for past two weeks but have got most of the dash in now and have mounted the ps2 under the dash at the passenger side, i'm just waiting for some pods to so i can mount my guages on top of the dash. I'll bang a pic on when its all done.

#24 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

kool how long u think it will take now untill its done

#25 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:10 PM

er hopefully once i've got the pods i can get it finished, There's less than a couple of hours work left on it but i can't do anything till i get those pods. I want to get the rest of the interior done soon as well, i've got the carpet and leatherette for door cards i just need to get some time spare to do it.

#26 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:21 PM

Just recieved my pods from minisport so gonna get em in and get dash finished tommorrow with a bit of luck.

#27 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:44 PM

In the in dash position it may get over heated by the demister vent, the plastic ducts can get quite hot.

The problem with running DVD video through any games console is that the consoles are not very well soundproofed, and you can hear the disc spinning all the time. Not too much of a problem with a loud video game but annoying during a movie with quiet dialogue.

And I should just point out that I believe it would be illegal to have the PS2 on while driving if it uses the screen in the middle of the dash. The driver must not be able to see any screen which displays information not directly related to driving the car (such as sat-nav or instrument information). A lot of the multi use systems which can display sat-nav or dvd video have a handbrake switch to prevent use while driving.

#28 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:01 PM

I'm not planning on using it while moving anyway, plus the power invertor doesn't like to be used with the engine running (which is a pain in the ars*) so that'll hav to be replaced soon anyway.

#29 psycho mini driver

psycho mini driver

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 07:14 PM

I got the toggle switches from maplin Then red cover goes on the top. I bought these when my headlamp switch burnt out, takes a bit of fiddling with the wiring and i had to modify the way the hazards work but the look is well worth it.

my head light switch burnt out. as in one of the pins got so hot it melted the plastic and got pushed through. (i presume this is the same as what happened to yours) i was also now thinking of replacing all switches, but would like to know....
1)did the switch burn out because of a fault? what could it have been
2)what did you have to change to the wireing exactly?

#30 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:36 PM

Headlight switches in Mini's burn out 'because the rocker switches are only actually rated to 16A continuous, and the total load through the light switch is around 15A while the headlights are on(with halogens). So eventually they melt, especially if the lighting gets altered in any way such as high wattage bulbs or badly fitted extra lighting.
And if you buy the right toggle switch for each application you won't need to change the wiring at all, except for the connector blocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users